Fitting PAS to Cavalier 1.4 ??? - NeilT
Strange question I know.... but here goes..

The Cavalier 1.4 was never available with PAS, but would it be possible to use the PAS rack from a 1.6 Model and use the pump from an early Mk3 Astra 1.4 with Power Steering.... My assumption is that apart from the Astra having injection, that the engines are the same, and will have the same mounting points.

I have done a PAS conversion on a 1994 Skoda Felicia 1.3 using parts from a 1997 model, but obviously that was the a straight swap of parts from same model to same model.

Cheers

Neil T
SEAT Leon TDi 150
Fitting PAS to Cavalier 1.4 ??? - Dave_TD
What year Cavalier is the 1.4 in question?

I suppose it would be possible unless the Astra engine was significantly different to the Cavalier unit, the only thing you can do is try it and see. But is it worth it? Unless the Cavalier is really really special to you, I would say it would be easier to go and find one already with PAS.
It's not that special. Basically I need a 2nd car that is big enough to carry 4 in comfort, smaller than 1.5 litre to get £100 tax, and abover all cheap to insure. It must also be relivly stable on the motorway, cheap to fix, a good work horse and comfortable. I find the Cavalier very comfortable, more so than my SEAT Leon. having a 1.5 meter long load bay with the seats down is also very handy.

The point was that the 1.4 Model was never available with PAS from the factory, so if I could pick up the parts for £100 than it would be well worth it, especially as it's in good condition....

Neil T
SEAT Leon TDi 150
Sorry it's a 91'J....

Engine should be the same as the 93'K Astra 1.4.

Neil T
SEAT Leon TDi 150
Fitting PAS to Cavalier 1.4 ??? - Dynamic Dave
I guess it would be possible, but it would involve a lot of hard work, for what is basically at the end of the day a parking aid.
The '91 Cavalier will have a single "v" drivebelt, whereas the '93 Astra, IIRC, will have a multi "V" drivebelt, meaning you will also have to swap the crankshaft pulley and the alternator from the Astra to the Cavalier. On top of that the Astra drivebelt will have a sprung loaded belt tensioner, whereas the Cavalier's belt is tightened by adjusting the alternator. That will need to be swapped as well. You'll need to also change the mounting bracket for the alternator. Then you have to ask yourself will the Cavalier's electrical connecting plug fit the Astra's alternator socket?
Unless the Cavalier has had wider tyres fitted, I would imagine the steering on the 1.4 Cavalier would be quite light anyway as no doubt the steering rack would be geared appropriatly.
Mmmmmm, that sounds just like the Skoda I did, although that was my nan's car, low mileage, and it was cheaper for her to pay for new parts than buy a newer car with PAS. On that I also had to change the steering column (inc. changing the ignition switch and fitting new shere bolts), a seperate fluid resevior and a complete new Alternator, water pump assembly, plus get the crank pulley machined out as the 1997 models with PAS had a smaller bore.... It took 2 hard days and £350...... but at least her arthrias doesn't stop her driving to town, an 8 mile drive along quiet country lanes.
Neil T
SEAT Leon TDi 150