Hyundai ix20 - What cars will take a 44ins wide load? - Steamdrivenandy

I've been looking for a car that will take our two 22ins wide dog crates side by side.

The Tourneo Connect will but we have to have an automatic and Ford have only made it in an automatic petrol version that's v expensive to buy and run.

I thought a VW Tour an would do, but it has a steel 'lug' either side of the boot space which reduces width dramatically. I then tried the Saharan/Alhambra but their boots are 43.5ins, so no good.

Then I tried the Ford Galymax and they're 45ins plus. Great! Until I read about the Power shift issues. I'd be buying older than 3 years and the thought of no warranty and a dodgy auto box is scary.

So back to our Kia dealer who phoned me back after a mosey round his showroom with a tape measure. Neither the Carens nor the Sorrento are wide enough, but strangely the Venga is! I thought he must be mistaken so I went to a nearby Hyundai dealer and measured an ix20 and it's true, the tiny ix20/Vengo have 45 ins between the wheelarches, amazing. None of the other Hyundais were as wide, even the Santa Fe is slightly narrower inside the boot.

The good thing is the ix20/Venga are available with a proper auto box (no horrible automated manual for us), the bad thing is it isn't big enough to tow our caravan. So OK as a replacement for Mrs SDA's ageing Yaris Verso but the search goes on for a 44ins wide tow car.

Hyundai ix20 - What cars will take a 44ins wide load? - Cyd

How about buying two new, slightly smaller dog crates to suit the new car?

We have two bearded collies and 22ins is a bare minimum for dogs that size and occasionally they need to be kept apart.

Hyundai ix20 - What cars will take a 44ins wide load? - veryoldbear

Why not one behind the other? Plenty of estate cars will do that if flattened.

In a way we already do that with the Cee'd SW.

One dog is in a crate that just fits across the boot, anything deeper and the rear window would be in jeopardy. The second dog fits in another crate on the folded rear passenger seat. However Mrs SDA wants to start showing our younger dog and that involves transporting a grooming trolley as well, which is basically a 3ft by 2ft table with folding legs and trolley wheels. There is no room for such a large item in the Cee'd along with the crates. However putting the crates side by side in a boot should leave lots of space behind the front seats for the trolley and other luggage.

When we showed dogs before we had a Horizons Unlimited Innovation Campervan. It was based on a SWB Transit with a unique hightop roof. It had four individual belted seats which turned into two single beds. There was a fridge, sink, gas hobs, proper caravan toilet, half wardrobe and roof lockers. Its unique facility was a 2ft deep space between the wheel arches where we had a custom-made two dog Barjo crate. We still have the crate but it only fits a Tranny. We were hoping to do it in a less wholehearted way this time, hence the search for the right car.

A previous model Santa Fe might do, but I need the measurement between the narrowest part of the boot (usually the wheel arches) to see if it works.

Hyundai ix20 - What cars will take a 44ins wide load? - HandCart

Stopped in 2009, but what about a Honda FRV? They were wide. And available with a TC auto. Supposedly very reliable, so maybe a 2009 model would still be worth considering?

And BTW, I spotted a car the other week that reminded me of your quest to replace a Yaris Verso. Hadn’t thought of it before, but it’s a similar shape. However, it seem seems they stopped in 2005: A Mercedes Vaneo.

Hyundai ix20 - What cars will take a 44ins wide load? - veryoldbear

The other way to look at it is to find transport that you like and actually get the cages made to fit ...

Oh yes, the Vaneo, reputedly the longest rear lights ever. Sadly departed and even a late one would only be a few months younger than the Verso.

FRV might be worth a look, I'd forgotten about them.

Our crate for the Transit was custom-made by Barjo. It's 4ft 6ins wide by 2ft deep and 2ft 3ins high. There's a removable divider and a door for each half on one side. On the other side e.g. into the van interior there's a central door so dogs can entrance/exit from either side of the divider. There's also a small door built-in on that side to allow access to the Innovations Thetford toilet cassette. It's built of heavy gauge steel mesh and can stand a very good weight on top without flexing at all. Looking at Barjo's website it would probably cost at least a £1,000 to have made now. Maybe that answers the suggestion to have a crate made for a car, it's very expensive to do.

Stopped in 2009, but what about a Honda FRV? They were wide. And available with a TC auto. Supposedly very reliable, so maybe a 2009 model would still be worth considering?

Popped into a local Honda dealer with my tape measure. I couldn't believe it but the main wheel arches are only 41ins apart and they have another moulding attached which reduces the actual width to 39ins.

That's a whole 5ins less than I need. The FRV may look wide, but the boot isn't.

Hyundai ix20 - What cars will take a 44ins wide load? - Andrew-T

Funny, isn't it? My old 205 - a very little car by today's standards - is 42 inches between rear wheel arches. This is achieved by fitting the dampers below the boot floor instead of upright beside/inside the wheels, which later Peugeots have done, and many other makers too I suspect.

Hyundai ix20 - What cars will take a 44ins wide load? - Avant

The 205 rear suspension design was a work of genius - and designed by a Briton: a Mr Channer. His son used to be a work colleague.

Of all the small cars SWMBO has had, the two 205s, and two Ford Kas, were the ones I really enjoyed driving - more so than the Minis she's had recently, and much more so than the very disappointing Peugeot 206.

Hyundai ix20 - What cars will take a 44ins wide load? - Happy Blue!

Dont quite understand the OPs aversion to the Galaxy/SMax? The auto gearboxes are far either slushboxes (mine is) or dualclutch DSG typers which appear to have a far better reliability score than the VAG ones.

Surely the Galymax autoboxes are twin clutch configuration, like the VW DSG, but made by different companies. I've read a whole litany of issues with them as they go over 3 or 4 years old, including a number on HJ. Give me a good old, dependable torque converter box anytime. Recently HJ commented that VW appear to have got over the 'hesitation' issue that bugged VW's DSG, but I'd still opt for a 'normal' autobox AND a decent length warranty when I can.

I know the 2.2 engined Galymaxes have a 'normal' autobox but the cheapest used ones are above my budget.

Edited by Steamdrivenandy on 28/09/2014 at 13:05

Hyundai ix20 - What cars will take a 44ins wide load? - Bromptonaut

The Berlingo's loadspace is more than 44 - about 46.5 according to my cheapskate tape measure.

Your problems would be one fewer if your wife could be persuaded to drive a manual!!!

Oh absolutely and our expenditure reduced. Automatics attract quite a premium on some used cars, higher VED rates and worse fuel consumption.

The last time I was able to 'swing' a manual on her was when we bought a Transit based campervan and then a Fiat based motorhome. Both weren't available as automatics at the time. She never drove either.

Hyundai ix20 - What cars will take a 44ins wide load? - HandCart

Would it be possible to saw-off the lugs inside the VW Touran's boot ?

I believe the lugs are the locating pins for the backs of the third row of seats. I'm not sure whether they don't exist in 5 seated Tourans?

Hyundai ix20 - What cars will take a 44ins wide load? - Andrew-T

Then make holes in the floor of the containers to fit the 'lugs' ?

The lugs are at about eye height for a standing bearded collie and would protrude into the side of the crate. They're normally covered by a sprung loaded plastic shroud to stop users injuring themselves. You could cut a suitable hole in the side of each crate, but I'm not sure what it would do to the crate's structural integrity and you'd still have a steel lug waiting to poke a dog in the face.