MINI cooper 2005 - Grinding sound from 2005 MINI cooper - LukeTee

I drive a 2005 MINI cooper (Getrag gearbox). For 1 year, my car has been making a grinding/whirring sound under load whilst in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. The sound sounds like a bearing, and begins at 20mph and it gets louder the more I accelerate, but then disappears at exactly 50mph. My car sounds healthy and normal above 50mph. The car also sounds fine at tick over, and at idle when I am 'revving' my car out of gear. The performance of my car is not affected, and my gear box shifting and clutch feel fine.

I have been to a garage who have replaced my gearbox bearings, O/S drive shaft, and Diff (costing me £800!). The garage also replaced my gearbox with a reconditioned one (at no extra cost), but still the sound remains. The sound does not occur when the car is out of gear, ONLY when under load.

Does anybody know what this sound could be? - The gearbox has been ruled out

MINI cooper 2005 - Grinding sound from 2005 MINI cooper - mss1tw

I'm no expert but a wheel bearing perhaps? Why only the O/S driveshaft?

Also someone on here mentioned recently, tyres can cause all sorts of weirdness.

Hhave you tried swapping tyres around front to back?

MINI cooper 2005 - Grinding sound from 2005 MINI cooper - LukeTee

Thanks for your reply. I've ruled out wheel bearings because the sound only occurs when I am accellerating. Ive had my tyres changed since the sound started, and yet no difference. The sound has a 'metalic' sound it, a bit like ball bearings.

MINI cooper 2005 - Grinding sound from 2005 MINI cooper - Quicksilver

I heard there were problems with the engines on these cars. Too much end float on the crankshaft. Has this been checked?

Q.

MINI cooper 2005 - Grinding sound from 2005 MINI cooper - focussed

And you have been hearing this grinding noise for a year - and have done nothing about resolving it or getting it diagnosed?

MINI cooper 2005 - Grinding sound from 2005 MINI cooper - mss1tw

And you have been hearing this grinding noise for a year - and have done nothing about resolving it or getting it diagnosed?

Bit harsh, he's already forked out nearly a grand on parts and labour for it. Perhaps the garage are taking a 'throw parts at it and see what sticks" approach.

MINI cooper 2005 - Grinding sound from 2005 MINI cooper - LUKESAV

Hi LUKETEE,

Did you ever got to the bottom of the transmission noise problem? - I've the exact same symptoms - a grinding noise only when in gear. I am at a loss as to what it is. I would be very grateful for any advice you may be able to give.