2008 - Honda Civic 2008ish - redcard

Quite like look of the Civic, probably the SE, but possibly the ES (with panoramic sunroof) if I can get one at a decent price and condition.

As this will be my first car, I was wondering if there's anything specific I need to look out for. Is high mileage a concern if there's a full service history? Any issues with the sunroof? Timing belt or chain?

Thanks for any advice!

2008 - Honda Civic 2008ish - balleballe

Which engine are you looking at?

All Honda engines are chain cam.

The petrol 1.8 should be fine, not heard anything bad about it.

The clutch on the 2.2 diesel is known to be weak

Engine probably 1.8 petrol

2008 - Honda Civic 2008ish - elekie&a/c doctor

At this age I would stick with a petrol model and avoid any model with the dreadful I-shift gearbox.Personally,I would avoid any make or model with a panoramic electric roof;guaranteed to fail.Just make sure the a/c works ok and both the abs and vsc lights go out when engine started.

2008 - Honda Civic 2008ish - Snakey

I looked at few of these (ES) but discovered the sunroof isn't that - its just a glass panel that doesn't open.

I wanted an actual sunroof not a greenhouse style roof so didn't get one in the end.

I knew it didn't open, but still think it would be nice to have the natural daylight.
2008 - Honda Civic 2008ish - Bolt

The 1.8 is not as economical as 1.4- or Diesel so beware of that,I only ever had 320 miles out of a full tank depending on how heavy your foot is,worst was 240 miles of brisk driving

I now have the 2.2 Diesel which is giving double that and more, and apart from turbo lag(not much) its, in my opinion, as fast

Check for timing chain noise, some that have done over 120k are more noisy but most are very quiet for age/ mileage

If you find one with window washer not working properly,ie motor is ok but not squirting properly the washer bottle filter is blocked,takes about half hour to fix.

Clutch problems are more likely on the chipped Diesel than standard

Apart from harder suspension than most other cars they are good motors and reliable imo!

Vehicle stability assist light can come on, if you are fully loaded and take a corner too fast,but if you want to you can turn it off for experienced drivers that is,but when on it does control engine revs if you almost get into trouble on corners

2008 - Honda Civic 2008ish - drd63
I like panoramic roofs too and the Civic to my eyes is a good looking car. I had an 06 1.8 EX from new. I suspect I was unlucky and promlems will have sorted with time but, gearbox replaced at 12,000 miles. Wouldn't go into 2nd without graunching. Rear shocks leaked, microphone for hands free was set for LHD so never worked properly. Fuel filler cap jammed repeatedly. Engine gutless why I chose the petrol I will never know. Ride was good and seats very comfy though. Sold it after 18 months and in 30 years of driving is the most disappointing car I've owned, partly as I really like Honda as a company and had owned 3 Hondas before but haven't bought one since.