Ford Fiesta MK5 - What the hell is wrong with my steering? (sigh) - Tanfies2

I’m losing the will to live now, so hopefully someone can help, or at least give me some advice.

I’ve a Fiesta Zetec Mk5 on an 03’ plate, low mileage, and ever since I’ve owned it, I’ve had this niggling problem with the steering.

Hard to explain, but if you drive over things like cats eyes, or small cracks, imperfections in the road, then the steering wheel twitches from left to right. Not great amounts, but it’s enough to drive you bonkers, and know it’s not natural.

I’ve not had this with other cars, so I’m sick to death of being told that ‘maybe it’s just how Fiesta’s are’ but I’m determined to find the culprit.

To date, I’ve had both front shocks replaced, discs, pads, bearings, track rod ends, new tires and now a new steering rack. Hasn’t made a blind bit of difference. Both tires and alloys are standard by the way, not modified.

My mechanic has said ‘it process of elimination’ which is now becoming a very b***** expensive one. Please help!!

P.S: The steering column all seems to be nice and tight, and there isn’t any play in any of the other bushes either.

Feel free to answer any questions.

Ford Fiesta MK5 - What the hell is wrong with my steering? (sigh) - gordonbennet

Could be towing out, well i reckon its showing all the signs of doing so.

Classically if you drive along with two wheels on the white line and the other on a good grippy surface then if its towing out it will tend to veer towards the side opposite the white line as the wheels with most grip pull it over, in extreme cases this can be a very unpleasant feeling as you cross over white lines whilst lane changing, motorway grooves caused by lorries can be unpleasant too as you traverse them.

By the way, check the rear wheel aligment too, and measure the wheebase both sides in case its the rear end out of kilter, or result of a previous accident even a kerb strike thats causing the problem.

Similarly get an assistant to drive your Fiesta whilst you follow it and look all around the car as the suspension moves, i've done this before and its helped with problems especially over undulations and road bumps, if its crabbing in any way you'll see it even if unaware when driving.

Also jack the car up and spin all the wheels in turn, see and feel for anything out of order.

Oh and tyres can play a part, the new steer axle tyres on my lorry react poorly to cambers, the previous set despite wearing really badly, were perfect steerers.

There, that'll keep you out of shopping hell next weekend :-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/09/2014 at 22:02

Rather than being pulled, it' as if the steering bounces off to the left and right, without having any return? (If that makes sense)

for exmaple, I previously owned a Ford Ka (I know, I know) but this little thing was like a tank, and prety much bullet proof.

However, when this thing went over bump, cracks, cats eye etc, the steering remaind true. Yes, you got a bump from the initial car, but the steering never twitched from left to right.

P.S: My mechanic has checked the geometry of the car and it all seems spot on. Tracking has also been done twice!!

Ford Fiesta MK5 - What the hell is wrong with my steering? (sigh) - gordonbennet

Steering bounces off with presumably little or no self centreing sounds more like a castor issue.

I'd still drive another car and watch whats happening, can be quite illuminating.

Something that may be of reference which I didn't metion earlier. When crawling, or driving at very low speeds, if you jab on and off the breaks, you can feel the wheels twitching through the steering wheel.

To be honest your mechanic hasn't been diagnosing by elimination, he's been throwing parts at it willy nilly by the sounds of it.

Were any of those major parts actually faulty, did anything improve at all.

My fault for buying a low milage car that had sat around for ages, so the shocks had gone, bearings, discs, pads, tyres, bushes, track rod ends etc, all needed doing anyway. Also had the tracking and balancing done as you would.

The only thing that didn't need really doing (which was my choice) was the steering rack. There was a slight bit of play up and down, but nothing major. Still, there hasn't been a slight bit of improvement after doing any of this work, although I do now own the worlds most expensive Mk5 Fiesta!!

Ford Fiesta MK5 - What the hell is wrong with my steering? (sigh) - mss1tw

I don't think you said if it's got power steering or not, might be relevant

Ford Fiesta MK5 - What the hell is wrong with my steering? (sigh) - RobJP

Nobody else has asked it yet.

What size wheels and tyres ? Original Ford wheels, or aftermarket ones ?

Yes, sorry, it has power steering, alloys and tyres are all standard.

Now, one thing I didn't mention, is that there is possible problem with the left dif, there is a low level clicking noise when breaking under 30Mph.

I Googled this last night, and one person associated this with twitching steering.

Ford Fiesta MK5 - What the hell is wrong with my steering? (sigh) - RobJP

What size wheels and tyres though ?

It can make a difference between a car being perfectly fine to drive, and handling incredibly poorly.

The BMW Z4 coupe comes to mind. The handling on it was notoriously twitchy with particular wheel and tyre combinations, so much so that it was virtually undriveable at any real performance speed, even on a racetrack (I did it, and there was no confidence in it at all). A few weeks later, the same car, but with a different setup for wheels, tyres and offsets, and I was running at 120 into sweeping corners that I'd been going through at 100 previously, and the car felt more stable at the higher speeds.

The devil is in the details.

Ford Fiesta MK5 - What the hell is wrong with my steering? (sigh) - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

By 'standard' I take it you mean 195/55 R15? It hasn't been fitted with those 16" options and 45 profile tyres has it? They just don't work on a Fiesta.. The suspension is far too hard for low profile tyres! Too hard for 55 profile tyres in my opinion. The car was originally designed for 14" wheels and 175/65 R14 tyres. At that age the tyres must have been changed and Gordon Bennet is so right that some tyres give a horrendous ride on some cars, whilst other tyres give a nice, comfortable ride - as I've found out to my expense. They aren't those Chinese tyres that get such bad reports on the tyre comparison sites are they?

OK, just been and measured my alloys, they are 16” with 195/50R15 tyres?

Ford Fiesta MK6 - What the hell is wrong with my steering? (sigh) - Tanfies2

Apologies, mine is actually a MK6 on an 03' by all accounts. Alloys and tyres are standard (apparently)