98 fiesta 1.3 - cooling fan switch - 98fiesta

hi all, i have a 98 fiesta that has a prob with cooling fan, the fan is working as is the relay, fuse and temp sender, i have bridged wires to show high temp reading on the dash and it still hasnt kicked in, are the temp sender and fan switch seperate and if so where can i find the fan switch, it is not on the rad or thermostat housing, but i did see a sensor on the water pump, could that be it????...any help greatly appreciated

98 fiesta 1.3 - cooling fan switch - elekie&a/c doctor

the temp sender that has been bridged,is this the one at the back of the engine bay,in a coolant pipe?

yes that is the one

This is an early model car,this sender does the gauge only.The one by the water pump is the engine temp switch for the fuel injection system ,which also controls the cooling fan circuit.If you disconnect this switch,and then run the engine,the cooling fan should cut in within approx 30 secs.Under no circumstances short together,power or earth the wires in this plug,serious damage to the engine ecu could occur.

i have just done this but the fan does not come on...

well,if all the components are working,and the fan does not come on when the temp sensor is disconnected,then I can only think you have a wiring fault.

it does look like someone had replaced some of the wiring, seems to be a lot of areas with insulation tape, i guess i may chase wiring and see if i can find a dodgy wire, thanks again for your help, i will keep u posted

98 fiesta 1.3 - cooling fan switch - mss1tw

Does this have a two speed fan? I had a similar problem wirth my Berlingo and it turned out the resistor for low speed had corroded away. So it would come on at high speed only. When I tested the relays they were all fine and simply putting 12V to the fan worked as well.

Just a thought!

Edit: There was insulation tape on mine as well. Seems to be standard manufacturer equipment. :-/

Edited by mss1tw on 13/09/2014 at 12:41