Which Family Car £10000- £12000 budget - boristheblade

Hello

Would like some guidance please on our next purchase.

Requirements are and this is where myself and my better half differ.

Car big enough for family of 3 and small dog .

Diesel due to travelling mileage of 15000 miles per year.

My wifes desire for a sporty look and not a box on wheels.

3 years old or as new as possible.

We have had a list which keeps getting changed

Seat Leon , Renault Megane, Vauxhall Astra, Mini Clubman,Ford Focus,Citroen DS4 this is just a few!!!!

As these cars are mainly hatchbacks but would like to know are we missing something??

All opinions and advice greatly received

Which Family Car £10000- £12000 budget - HandCart

Does your wife class MPVs as boxes on wheels and not sporty-looking enough?

-because it may depend on how long you intend to keep the car and whether there are likely to be any more children coming along in that period.

If there are, you may well be better looking for an estate (or 'sportback/sport tourer' as the fashionable term goes at the moment) at least.

If you end up needing three child/baby seats, you may have to consider an MPV.

Does your wife class MPVs as boxes on wheels and not sporty-looking enough?

-because it may depend on how long you intend to keep the car and whether there are likely to be any more children coming along in that period.

If there are, you may well be better looking for an estate (or 'sportback/sport tourer' as the fashionable term goes at the moment) at least.

If you end up needing three child/baby seats, you may have to consider an MPV.

The Skoda Yeti is classed as a "box on wheels" .

We intend on keeping the car for minimum of 3 years

There will be no more kids also my wife will be the primary driver.

I have an estate as a company car at the moment

Had MPV a while ago and dont want to go back to be honest

thanks for the reply

Which Family Car £10000- £12000 budget - Happy Blue!

Any four/five door car at least as large as Focus will do. Qashqais are good as they are comfortable and a bit higher.

Which Family Car £10000- £12000 budget - catsdad
Honda civic "magic seats" are worth checking out as they offer good dog space without taking up the boot. Economy of the petrol is mid 40s with 140 hp on offer so without repeating the usual diesel v petrol debates I wouldn't rule out petrol at your miles.
Which Family Car £10000- £12000 budget - retgwte

dacia stepway diesel

available new for your budget

lots of space for dogs etc

Edited by retgwte on 11/09/2014 at 14:39

Which Family Car £10000- £12000 budget - Happy Blue!

Can't see the OPs missus buying a Dacia. Sounds like she wants, but does not need, a 3 series.

Which Family Car £10000- £12000 budget - gordonbennet

Is this car for Lady Boris whilst Boris himself continues with his own company car?

If the answer is yes, i humbly suggest that you leave SWMBO to select her own car, that way you won't be taking the blame for the wrong choice.

Slightly tongue in cheek but a serious suggestion.

If it's for both of you, i'd suggest a C Class Merc estate, either a supercharged petrol or a 220 Diesel depending on planned usage, whilst its not sporty looking as such (what is?) it should tick enough boxes.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/09/2014 at 20:18

Which Family Car £10000- £12000 budget - Ed V

One way around clashing priorities would be to buy an older car, but a prestige make, and hope that the badge (and prospective longer life/better resale) makes her overlook a pragmatic vehicle - the C class has already been suggested, and I agree.

With the new one now available there maybe some value in ones 3-5 years old, 40 - 75,000 miles. A well looked after one should run and run. The B class too, while not highly starred by journalists nonetheless will do most of what you want, and provide even better value.

Of course, a Golf Plus might be better (or others) but a badge might be what she needs!!

Which Family Car £10000- £12000 budget - daveyjp
You have a decent budget and a wide range of options already. This is where car supermarkets come into their own. Visit one and have a good look at a wide range of vehicles.

Don't discount MPVs, yes they are boxy, but as someone who has an ever growing child (no dog!) they can't be beaten for flexibility. I have recently started considering replacing my B class, but as soon as I get in a normal car the downsides shout at me. In particular the very poor rear legroom in some modern vehicles, even the large ones and the van like carrying capacity always comes in useful.
Which Family Car £10000- £12000 budget - confusedbuyer

As I'm on a bit of a Volvo kick at the moment have you considered a V60? Quite sporty shape, great diesel. Low mileage diesel is probably 11-12k?

Otherwise, I'd probably say a Focus off your list.

Which Family Car £10000- £12000 budget - oldtoffee

VW Touran - thoroughly competent and boring MPV for all your wife needs. Altea XL ditto. Not sure 15000 miles has to mean mean you need a diesel when you can get good petrol equivalents for a couple of thousand pounds less and potentially much better reliabilty for a few quid extra in fuel costs.

Hello

Thanks for all the suggestions .

To answer some of the questions here we go

The Car is for the wife it will be her car as I will keep my company car (Toyota Avensis Estate)

She wants as new as possible so there is some warranty left.

Emissions below 150 so tax is affordable.

MPV's are out as are Estates as I drive one.

I like SUV's and so does the wife so what would be the best to look at.

Would likes are Bluetooth and ipod decent sounds

This is my wifes choice but we have over recent years had some bad luck with cars also been burned a couple of times from poor mechanical and consistant niggles.

Is there a 1 to 10 list of suggestions anywhere??

Which Family Car £10000- £12000 budget - oldtoffee

Narrowing it down to diesel SUVs with decent warranties as you have reliability concerns I'd look for a Toyota Rav4, Kia Sportage or Hyundai ix35 with some miles on it.They have 6,7 or 5 year warranties respectively so you could consider a 3 year old one easily enough. Car Giant has an ix35, 56k miles 2011 diesel Premium spec for £11,500. 2 years and 9 months warranty still left on it and lots of spec. I wouldn't be put off by the mileage at all as diesels work best with bigger than average miles.

Which Family Car £10000- £12000 budget - daveyjp
If the ix35 has the same bluetooth interface as the i20 avoid. I found it impossible to use as it was all voice activated.
Which Family Car £10000- £12000 budget - 72 dudes

Oldtoffee suggests 3 SUVs. A better bet would be the Nissan Qashqai in 1.5DCi guise, Ascenta trim or higher for the best kit.

Nothing wrong at all with the Rav4, Sportage and iX35, but there's more Qashqais to choose from and they are rated more highly.

Ah! so it has to be a Sports Utility vehicle. But not a Yeti because they're too boxy.

Too much overlap amongst all these niches these days. Which sounds like a contradiction.

Maybe a Stepway could make it back on to the list then. But I suspect not.

Which Family Car £10000- £12000 budget - corax

Ah! so it has to be a Sports Utility vehicle. But not a Yeti because they're too boxy.

Too much overlap amongst all these niches these days. Which sounds like a contradiction.

Totally agree. No wonder Boris can't make up his mind.

Besides the Sqashqai there's the Volvo XC60 and Honda CRV.

Edited by corax on 12/09/2014 at 17:23

If you don't get a rusty one, there's even the Duster avaiable brand new from about £9k !

Buy her a nice Rolex with the change, as Kia used to suggest.

Which Family Car £10000- £12000 budget - Avant

Show her a picture of a Nissan Juke. She'll either love or loathe the looks, but at least it could never be called a box on wheels. And it'll be reliable - as would a Toyota RAV-4 as suggested above.

Hi
And thanks for the suggestions .
In the past few days things have changed and an SUV seems way off
Typical change of mindset :(
It looks like a sporty hatch has caught the eye of Mrs Boris and the DS3 keeps being mentioned .
I quite like but don't know much about them ,I had suggested making a list of manufactures with similar car types and start there.
I like the Mini Clubman and they are just in price range .
Would that be a good place to start??

Thanks all for who have contributed so far