FIAT Doblo - My dpf has been removed will it cause any damage? - nipper66
Hi all. I've just bought an 07 1.9d family doblo.
When pulling away sometimes it seems a bit juddery in 1st or 2nd.
The seller says the dpf has been removed so are the 2 linked?
Also will it cause any damage having no dpf?
Any thoughts appreciated
Cheers
FIAT Doblo - My dpf has been removed will it cause any damage? - elekie&a/c doctor

Unlikely to be connected to the dpf.However any visible signs of a dpf removal is an mot failure.Something to think about for the future.

FIAT Doblo - My dpf has been removed will it cause any damage? - RobJP

The juddering is more likely to be the DMF (dual mass flywheel). Not a cheap fix.

As elekie has already said, a DPF removed is now an MOT failure. Again, an expensive fix. And one that you knew about when you bought the car, so you can't even take it back to the vendor and complain, as they told you about it before you bought !

FIAT Doblo - My dpf has been removed will it cause any damage? - Railroad.
It would only be an MOT failure if it was obvious to the tester that it had been removed. He will not dismantle anything during the test to actually check whether or not it is present, so if the substitute component has the appearance of a DPF, and the pressure sensors are in place the chances are you'll get away with it. The ECU programming of course will need to be suitably adapted so not to consider information received from the sensors, otherwise a fault code may be generated. With regard as to whether it's removal would cause any running problems, I would think it unlikely. However if in the future individual pollutants within the exhaust smoke become testable then you may find that a vehicle with a DPF removed will fail the MOT on that basis. At present though we only check for smoke density.
FIAT Doblo - My dpf has been removed will it cause any damage? - nipper66
Thanks for all the replies.
Apparently it's has 3 MOT's since the dpf has been removed so I guess
The replacement part must look ok. There are no sensor lights on so they must of been reset too. Has the bhp been increased as a result of removing the filter?
I just hope my MOT tester doesn't see it!
FIAT Doblo - My dpf has been removed will it cause any damage? - keithd

I wonder if the seller meant that the DMF had been removed and replaced with an ordinary flywheel and that's why you're having problems with the gear change!

FIAT Doblo - My dpf has been removed will it cause any damage? - skidpan

Apparently it's has 3 MOT's since the dpf has been removed

It only became law in February this this year that a car fitted with a DPF at the factory must have ir fitted to pass the MOT. Prior to February this year the visible smoke test was the only one carried out.

In my personal opinion any garage carrying out MOT's and failing to ensure the DPF is present when the DVLA system informs them it should be must be struck off the testing station list and fined for not doing the job correctly. If they are failing to look for a DPF what other faults are they failing to note.

It only became law in February this this year that a car fitted with a DPF at the factory must have ir fitted to pass the MOT. Prior to February this year the visible smoke test was the only one carried out.

In my personal opinion any garage carrying out MOT's and failing to ensure the DPF is present when the DVLA system informs them it should be must be struck off the testing station list and fined for not doing the job correctly. If they are failing to look for a DPF what other faults are they failing to note.

Are you actually a nominated MOT tester?
FIAT Doblo - My dpf has been removed will it cause any damage? - coopshere
Whether Skidpan is a nominated tester or not is irrelevant, he is right. The MOT and emission regulations were implemented in order to protect the safety and health of people whether they are road users or not. There are far to many irresponsible people trying to circumvent these regulations and it's about time the government cracked down on them.
Perhaps you're not aware but the MOT test is a visual check only. The tester is not permitted to remove or dismantle anything during the test. The vehicle has to reach minimum standards only, and you would be amazed at how low some of them are. If a ball joint for example was worn but was above the minimum standard then the correct decision for the tester would be to pass and advise. The methods of testing are laid down by VOSA, as are the reasons for rejection. The tester has a duty to follow them. If a DPF had actually been removed and substituted by a component that looked exactly like a DPF, leaving the tester unable to determine whether it was a DPF or not then the tester would have no option but to pass it. He would not be allowed to remove the component for further examination even if he suspected something suspicious. The emphasis of the MOT test is to pass the vehicle unless one or more testable items fall below the minimum standard. The tester is not looking for reasons to fail it from the outset.

Are you actually a nominated MOT tester?

In truth I am not but why does it matter. The law is the law and MOT testers should examine the car correctly. If they don't they sould have their testers cert and ability to make their livelyhood removed. Pasing cars that should fail could end up killing someone, it has in the past.

FIAT Doblo - My dpf has been removed will it cause any damage? - Manatee

The law is the law and MOT testers should examine the car correctly. If they don't they sould have their testers cert and ability to make their livelyhood removed. Pasing cars that should fail could end up killing someone, it has in the past.

Hardely likely to kill someone with a missing DPF.

I think it is accepted that it is not always possible to tell with a visual inspection anyway, and any competent tester is going to be alert to safety problems first and foremost.

The measurable things (emissions, brake function) look after themselves anyway. When paticulates and NOx become measures on the MoT, the same will apply.

The law is the law and MOT testers should examine the car correctly. If they don't they sould have their testers cert and ability to make their livelyhood removed. Pasing cars that should fail could end up killing someone, it has in the past.

Hardely likely to kill someone with a missing DPF.

I think it is accepted that it is not always possible to tell with a visual inspection anyway, and any competent tester is going to be alert to safety problems first and foremost.

The measurable things (emissions, brake function) look after themselves anyway. When paticulates and NOx become measures on the MoT, the same will apply.

The cumulitive effects of soot particles from diesels can kill. Not instantly like for example brake failure but they are still a potential killer. That is why older diesels are being banned in London.

My point was simply any MOT tester that is prepared to flout the law by possibly pretending that since its only a visual inspection its a grey area will probably apply the same rules to other components.

The local MOT station I use is fastidious to the extreme. I was given an advisory this year because the tester was not happy with the switches on the dash. They are the switches it left the factory with and the factory are still makiing cars with those switches fitted. Interested to see what happens next year. If the same happens I will be reporting the garage and tester to the DVSA.

A tester can advise anything that he thinks should be brought to the attention of the owner, regardless of whether or not the item is testable. However, the owner is not under any obligation to heed the advisory.
FIAT Doblo - My dpf has been removed will it cause any damage? - Quicksilver

There are quite a few ways of removing the DPF. Look on YouTube to see.

One way is to remove the DPF core and reprogram the ECU, (or set the pressure sensor voltage to a constant value).

This way it looks the same from the outside and you do not have the DPF problems. If this is the fix on your car it should pass the next MOT OK

Q.

FIAT Doblo - My dpf has been removed will it cause any damage? - jc2
Thanks for all the replies. Apparently it's has 3 MOT's since the dpf has been removed so I guess The replacement part must look ok. There are no sensor lights on so they must of been reset too. Has the bhp been increased as a result of removing the filter? I just hope my MOT tester doesn't see it!

It would have passed in the past because it was not a requirement then.

FIAT Doblo - My dpf has been removed will it cause any damage? - gordonbennet

Can't say i blame anyone removing their DPF, no different to someone fitting a modern petrol engine to their earlier or kit car but minus the CAT.

If i was going to remove a DPF i'd be inclined to fit a straight through pipe in its stead with the DPF canister welded on so it doesn't sound quite so hollow should the MOT geezer decide to investigate by tapping.

FIAT Doblo - My dpf has been removed will it cause any damage? - misar

I always have a fascination with self-righteous posters.

Can't help wondering if they are so meticulous in obeying every aspect of every law themselves. Especially motoring enthusiasts who experience so many temptations to break the law on every trip. Almost every motoring regulation has safety, health or convenience of others at heart so I imagine they are horrified at any suggestion they might transgress.

Of course, without evidence to the contrary we must assume they never exceed a speed limit, not even by 1mph, never overstay their time in a time-limited free parking bay, never stop on a no-waiting line even for 2 minutes. And so on...

I always have a fascination with self-righteous posters.

Can't help wondering if they are so meticulous in obeying every aspect of every law themselves. Especially motoring enthusiasts who experience so many temptations to break the law on every trip. Almost every motoring regulation has safety, health or convenience of others at heart so I imagine they are horrified at any suggestion they might transgress.

Of course, without evidence to the contrary we must assume they never exceed a speed limit, not even by 1mph, never overstay their time in a time-limited free parking bay, never stop on a no-waiting line even for 2 minutes. And so on...

I suspect its me you are refering to, here are a few facts.

I have never driven a car without VED, MOT, insurance, legal tyres etc. Been on the road legally for 40 years.

Like all road users I stray over the speed limits. But I am careful to respect them in built up areas. Unlike like some road users I do not drive like a total knob head.

The only places I park are at supermarkets and at work. Our local Asda is 2 hours for £1 which you get back when you spend money. Local Tesco is free with no time limit. Local PC World etc is free with time limit but I rarely visit, when I do its just to collect an on-line purchase, takes minutes. But if I am only simply dropping into town I walk, only 10 minutes.

Driving is a serious matter. In the hands of an idiot the car is a lethal weapon.

If that makes me self-righteous then so be it. I am proud of my record behind the wheel and drive to preserve it.

I also have a cabinet full of trophys from my racing days which prove beyond doubt I can drive faster than most other road users when its legal to do so.