Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Mk2 - Limp Mode, split in rubber hose / connector - megavic

Hi, I'll try and keep this short :-)

My Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Mk2 keeps going in to limp home mode but showing no errors and appears to be OK after turning off and on the engine - but under load (e.g. up a hill) will go back in to limp home mode and kick out a cloud of smoke.

Under the bonnet I've noticed a rubber connector has split that runs from the engine to the exhaust - I'm sure this is the issue but I don't know what part that is, and so what part to buy as a replacement!

See pic here (middle of picture):

i62.tinypic.com/244oenk.jpg

Any help appreciated,

Andy

Edited by megavic on 10/09/2014 at 09:42

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Mk2 - Limp Mode, split in rubber hose / connector - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

That's part of the EGR valve pipe-work isn't it? That means air will be getting in and you'll be running lean, so the clever computer engine management will be trying to make it run richer, is the way I see it, and it won't be able to cope. Needs a bit of stick-tape over it!

Thanks Mr Eckers, very helpful!

On checking though, when the car is running the air is being blown out of the hole, it is slightly oily and when the car is revved the air really shoots out - does this sound right?

Cheers

Andy

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Mk2 - Limp Mode, split in rubber hose / connector - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

In that case, I'm quite wrong and we'll have to wait for a more knowlegable contributor! The only other bit on a diesel that I can think of is the turbo, which needs a blast of exhaust gasses up it.. or if it's the output of the turbo, then it will force air into the inlet manifold... but I can't see, from the picture, that it goes to the turbo. Or... Is the pipe split because there's air pressuring it when there shouldn't be pressure in there? Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who's got one of these, or I'd be looking under the bonnet! I still like a challenge, now and then.

Edited by MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom on 10/09/2014 at 18:08

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Mk2 - Limp Mode, split in rubber hose / connector - elekie&a/c doctor

This looks like an air intake hose that directs air from the intercooler pipe into the inlet manifold.Why don't you run the car into a Ford parts dept and let them identify the part .It probably has some type of part number or id code stamped on it.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Mk2 - Limp Mode, split in rubber hose / connector - The-Mechanic

That looks like the charge air hose (turbo boost hose) from the intercooler to the inlet manifold. It'll need a new hose as sticky tape just won't do it.

The air being blown out of it is the pressurised air from the turbo that should be going through the intercooler then into the inlet. Any loss of pressure from splits in the charge air system will cause the car to struggle to achieve the correct boost pressure hence the lack of performance / limp mode.

The oil mist is quite normal and shouldn't be a concern as all turbo diesel engines have a small amount of oil mist in the intake / intercooler. Fit a new or good second hand hose and you should be OK.

Perfect, that's exactly what it is!

Now I can buy a replacement. Thanks The-Mechanic, and thanks all for your help.

Most appreciated!

Andy

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Mk2 - Limp Mode, split in rubber hose / connector - Railroad.
Air intake hoses don't usually just split like this for no reason. It maybe that the turbo boost pressure is too high, hence the limp home mode. Check the turbo wastegate or variable vane operation and make sure it's free and works properly, otherwise your new hose will fail in the same way.

Great info, thanks Railroad.

I'll check before I install the new part.

Cheers,

Andy