Car for a mixed road commute - KSP37

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a second hand car that should hopefully be fuel efficient and reliable. I have a 70 mile round commute which, on a one way journey, consists of about 5 miles city driving, 15 miles motorway driving and 15 miles on A/B roads (although there's sometimes a bit of traffic on these). At the moment, I own an '02 1.2L corsa which has served me well on this commute for about a year, but things are starting to fall apart now! I get about 40mpg, so anything around that or higher would be great. I'm inclined to get another corsa, although I am open to other options. My budget is between £3500-4500.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by KSP37 on 03/09/2014 at 13:48

Car for a mixed road commute - 72 dudes

This is one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions, and I think you'll get a different answer from each member who replies.

Having said that, here are my opinions!

With that sort of mileage, a diesel engine would make sense, but at that budget, less so. If you are happy with around 40 MPG then most modern petrol cars up to about 1.8 litres would be OK, so it seems daft to recommend diesel when there is more to go wrong.

The old rule of 'buy the best condition you can' applies here more than what make/model, but one thing I would suggest is that you go up one size to Astra/Focus, for more comfort and refinement.

On your list should be the Japanese makes, namely Toyota Auris or Corolla, Honda Civic (find a good previous shape 2001-2005 model). I wouldn't rule out a 1.6 Astra (2004-11) if you like Vauxhalls, but make sure condition is first class and mileage genuine.

Car for a mixed road commute - Chris M

As 72 dudes says, you'll get a different answer from everyone. Here's mine:

If it's just you and sometimes one other and not required for family use an Aygo/C1/107. Great around town. Acceptable on motorways (especially if you invest in around £40 of extra soundproofing). Reasonable fun on A/B roads. High 50s, low 60s mpg achievable without much effort. Cheap insurance. Easy maintenance and no issues other than leaky hatch glass on the early ones and weak clutch up to 2008. An upgraded clutch fitted post 2008 can be fitted to the earlier models.

Car for a mixed road commute - Happy Blue!

Wouldn't it be nice to fill the car only once a week at most? I have been driving a 90,000 mile 5 year old Mazda 3 diesel. 52mpg; over 600 miles to the tank and very comfortable plus a great drive. Yes diesels can fall over, but for your budget you are less likely to have DPF issues as the cars will be too old. Try it, you may be impressed.

Car for a mixed road commute - retgwte

fiat panda diesel

Car for a mixed road commute - Cyd

At the moment, I own an '02 1.2L corsa ........ I get about 40mpg .......

Blimey! That's less than impressive.

I do 45 miles each way to work in my tuned Saab 9-3 Aero (2litre petrol turbo tuned to 260hp / 360Nm) and driving moderately in motorway traffic at about 70mph I average 38 to 42 (depending on the traffic). If I drive it really gently down the M40 from work (Redditch) to our customer in Oxford I can get 48mpg (cruise control at 65). I generally get about 34 round the lanes even with giving it some "clog".

Maybe a 1.6 or 1.8 Astra would suit. I'd have thought mid 40s would be achievable without turning into a Sunday driver.

I had a succession of Focuses as company cars between 2004 and 2008 (putting them in your budget now at that age). I found the petrols dissapointingly flat and thirsty.

Car for a mixed road commute - KSP37

Thanks for the replies so far!

I hadn't really considered the comfort aspect of driving on the motorway; my current corsa is my first car so I have nothing to compare the experience to. I'm not sure if the motorway/city driving ratio works in favour of a larger car or not; I forgot to mention that I live in London so my "leisure" driving is mainly on small roads, but it's something I'll look into.

I've also read that small cars don't handle high mileage as well as larger cars since apparently smaller engines have to work harder on the motorway. Is there any truth in this? I would've thought that the lighter weight of smaller cars would compensate for the smaller engine. My budget means that I'll be looking at cars that have done around 50-60k miles. If I'm adding 18-20k miles a year, what effect will this have on the depreciation and reliability of the car over say 3 years?

Thanks again!

Car for a mixed road commute - Happy Blue!

You are taking a car from 60,000 miles to 120,000 miles in three years and from say four years to seven years. Likely depreciation will be about 75% of the purchase price I would say.