2005 Volkswagen Polo 1.2 (55 PS) - Handbrake Cable Adjustment - PX-230A
My car went into the garage last week for the rear brake drums servicing (the brakes were binding).

The mechanic said the handbrake cable on the driver's side is stretched so it might be worth replacing both completely - the passenger side is stretched but not as bad.

Anyway, he adjusted it the best he could for now. My question is can the handbrake adjustment affect how the foot brake works? It feels a bit spongy compared to how it was. The car will stop, but I feel like I have to press the pedal further, and the rear brakes still seem to be dragging a bit at times.

Edited by PX-230A on 31/08/2014 at 21:48

2005 Volkswagen Polo 1.2 (55 PS) - Handbrake Cable Adjustment - gordonbennet

Is this a trusted regular garage, it sounds to me like someone has been adjusting the handbrake cable up regularly instead of maintaining the rear drum brakes, pistons and adjusters correctly.

Binding brakes is a sign that it needs looking at properly, course it could be that things have got so bad it does need cables now, but just fitting new cables won't sort it permanently IMO.

The brake drums are ok now - had to replace some seals. It's just the cables that need replacing he says. The shoes and mechanisms are fine, and he's given them a good clear out (lots of road crap and brake dust).

It went into VW all it's life before this trusted guy, so it doesn't surprise me that they just adjusted the handbrake and ignored the drums.

Could the poor adjustment of the cable affect the foot brake then?

Edited by PX-230A on 31/08/2014 at 22:02

2005 Volkswagen Polo 1.2 (55 PS) - Handbrake Cable Adjustment - gordonbennet
Could the poor adjustment of the cable affect the foot brake then?

If overadjusted, then effectively the shoes are being artificially held close to the drum by those cables, instead of the auto adjsuters gradually working their way out to compensate for wear...similar effect in that the pistons don't have to move much to apply braking pressure, but it's not how they were designed to work, the auto adjusters should be doing this job.

Now your mech has done the job, the adjusters are presumably now doing their work, which they couldn't before because overadjusted cables wouldn't allow the shoes to retract enough to catch the next click on the auto adjuster, but now the shoes are not as close to the drums any more (no longer binding) so you are having to move more brake fluid to push the shoes out via the pistons, hence more pedal travel.

Does that make any sense at all, i've rewritten it twice and it still sounds like cobblers, probably is cobblers.

It could be that the brakes need bleeding out all round too, but i expect thats already been done by your mech..

edit, did he really just replace some seals or did he fit new slave cyls if the seals were leaking.

double edit...never fear the main dealer techs would have sprayed lots of brake cleaner in the general direction of the brakes..:-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 31/08/2014 at 22:25

Thanks Gordon - yes does make sense :)

I'll get him to swap the cables out and fingers crossed all will be good again. He did a full brake fluid drain and replace at the same time.