Media controls on steering wheel - redcard

Looking to get a car in the next few months and there's a good chance it may not have media buttons on the steering wheel. I'd much prefer a car with these but may have to compromise and get one without.

Are there any good aftermarket solutions? I've had a quick search, but not really coming across anything that looks that elegant.

Ideally I'd prefer not to splash out on a whole new media system. I'm happy to use my mobile / ipod for music, and would prefer the buttons also contolled the radio or inbuilt CD, if this is possible.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Media controls on steering wheel - galileo

Most cars made in the last 15 years do have the media buttons you mention. It shouldn't be difficult to find what you want.

Media controls on steering wheel - redcard

Unfortuntely some of the cars I've been looking at do not, hence the reason I asked the question.

Media controls on steering wheel - bathtub tom

You should also look for them on a separate arm in my opinion.

I've driven Peugeot that has this and it's a great advantage over my Nissan which has them on the steering wheel. Try finding the button you want when the wheel's anything other than straight ahead - Unfortunately Peugeots are French.........................

Media controls on steering wheel - mike hannon

Why would you want to be fiddling with the stereo controls while turning?

Media controls on steering wheel - bathtub tom

To turn off James Blunt?

Seriously, I often find I'm feeling for them when I'm stationary at an approach to a junction and in a queue and the wheels aren't straight ahead.

Media controls on steering wheel - mike hannon

Point taken. I have a super duper wireless, etc, in my car with controls on the steering wheel. I turned it on earlier today to see it was still working ok (which it was). Somehow I never get round to listening to it. If I'm not on my own in the car I always seem to be talking.

Media controls on steering wheel - retgwte

you can buy stereo head units which come with remote control units like you would use in the home.

then you can velcro the remote control unit somewhere easy to use when driving.

somewhere like an arm rest on the door usually makes a good location.