Ford Focus Estate - Ford focus estate - tyre load index - matthewjw

Hi, Is there an easy answer to this?

A new ford focus estate comes fitted with 215/55/r16 tyres - load rating 93.

But how do you find out what the mimimum reccomended load rating is? Where is this found?

I want to know if an existing set of winter tyres with 91 load rating (from a standard 4 door focus) can be used. I thought this would be straightforward but can't find a straightforward answer!

Cheers

Matthew

Ford Focus Estate - Ford focus estate - tyre load index - Manatee
What does the owners manual say?
Ford Focus Estate - Ford focus estate - tyre load index - RobJP

If the manufacturer puts a '93' weight rated tyre on, and you change that to a '91' rated tyre, then if you have an accident, you are opening yourself up to a potential rejection of claim.

Not saying an insurance company would do this, but is it worth the chance ?

Ford Focus Estate - Ford focus estate - tyre load index - skidpan

The information will be in the manual. Sometimes its also on the drivers door pillar along with tyre pressures.

If in doubt ask a Ford dealer or even Ford themselves. As said above you don't want to be fitting tyres with a lower load or speed index than that homologated by the manufacturer.

With regards to size our Focus C-Max had 205 55 16 tyres fitted with a 91 load rating.

Ford Focus Estate - Ford focus estate - tyre load index - Manatee

I did have a quick look at the manual, which is online. It says only approved tyres must be used but doesn't say what they are, as you might expect.

www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/Owners-Manual?selecte...9

The tyre sizes appear in the pressure tables but only by size, without the load rating.

Check the axle limits (on a 'plate' on the car somewhere - the Outlander's is at the bottom of the offside B pillar, as is the Roomster's. The MX5's is on a plate on the bulkhead under the bonnet.)

91 sounds plenty, and I'm sure it is - it's 615kg per tyre. The Roomie is on 83W, 487kg per tyre (axle limits 910kg and 840kg).

Yes I still agree it would be better to have confirmation.