2001 2.2 Vectra hatchback (petrol) - vectra fault - Geoffmalc

Hello, looking for help with fault on my Vectra, the Computer shows Cam Sensor fault but after installation of new one it is actually worse, and when you hit a bump on road, engine stops, so reinstalled new one, it appears to be some sort of bad connection but Sensor wiringt actually looks in good order, I also noticed that the Engine Management Light on dash is not always on and hitting a good size bump brings it on, When it sgoing it runs smoothly and good excelleration, all appears normal (until the dreaded bump)

Any ideas or experience on this curly one?

Regards

Geoffmalc

2001 2.2 Vectra hatchback (petrol) - vectra fault - elekie&a/c doctor

Firstly,did you fit a genuine vauxhall cam sensor or a pattern part?A cam sensor fault will not cause the engine to cut out.If the engine cuts out over bumps,then it is possibly a wiring fault or related connections or fuel system relays.Also check the earth lead bolted to the engine ecu is clean and tight.

Thank you very much for your response, I thought bad connection but couldnt work out what would actually stop engine.

Hello, Thanks for input so far, further to the fault, when it happens, it just stops, Ignition light still on, feels like fuel cut off actually. Anyway, a dealer had his computer look at it and he says that there is no data coming from Mass Air Meter, as I dont have a lot of ready money at moment and MAM is quite expensive, I want to make sure it is problem, I can understand the control unit not happy with no air inflow info, but is this enough to intermittently stop for no apparent reason?

All connections seem ok and wiring seems in good order, and shaking/wrigglng proves nothing!!!!!!!!!! Sadly, car drives very well other than this irritating issue.

Regards

Geoffmalc

2001 2.2 Vectra hatchback (petrol) - vectra fault - elekie&a/c doctor

In your original post you say it runs smoothly with good performance.If the maf was faulty there would be lack of oerformance and poor running ,probably would not cut out either.,and the engine light would be on.I think you need to look elsewhere for this fault.

2001 2.2 Vectra hatchback (petrol) - vectra fault - dieselnut

I would check the engine bay wiring loom carefully for any damage.

Pull the loom about while the engine is running to see if it stops when moved.

Thanks for your response

Geoffmalc

2001 2.2 Vectra hatchback (petrol) - vectra fault - Archie

I had this on my previous Vectra. It turned out that the lead from the crank sensor had chafed and was shorting out.