Cavalier Steering Vibration - Ben F
Hi everyone. Got a slight problem with my Cavalier (2.0 8V 1994 97K) since having had new front shocks fitted (Gabriel shocks, fitted by STS). Wonder if anyone might be able to offer some advice.....

Everything was very smooth before I got the shocks fitted without a hint of steering vibration, but it was getting blown round in the wind quite a bit and I was advised to have new front shocks. Now I've got them it handles a lot better but I'm getting a lot of vibration through the steering between 60-70MPH.

I've gone back to STS who rebalanced the front wheels and did the tracking but it hasn't made any difference. Funnily enough I had a similar problem with my old Astra 1.3 but never managed to solve it (despite new tyres, rebalances etc.).

I know that all the symptoms point towards wheel balance but I don't think it can be this as it was perfect before the new shocks and rebalancing the wheels (also taking the wheel covers off) has made no difference.

The vibration seems to be slightly more noticeable on smooth roads and when steering slightly to the left or right (on the motorway), and lessons slightly if you freewheel.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Ben
Cavalier Steering Vibration - Dynamic Dave
Ben, have you had the rear tyres checked for balance at all?
Cavalier Steering Vibration - Dave_TD
The vibration seems to be slightly more noticeable on smooth roads and when steering slightly to the left or right (on the motorway), and lessons slightly if you freewheel.

Sounds like a bent driveshaft to me. They would have had to remove the driveshaft from the hub to drop the suspension leg, it's either been damaged during this procedure or it was already bent and the new, tauter suspension shows it up more clearly.

Dave.
Cavalier Steering Vibration - greaser pv
Also, on some VXLs there is a vibration damper on the driveshaft, check to see if this has shifted . It's an outside possibility that one of the C/V joints has been damaged in some way ( although they would have to been monkeys ). Scrutinize the tyres for roundness not just balance, you will have to jack it up for this, check that the inside of the wheel rims haven't been damaged in the removal process,and, for good measure make sure no foreign body is trapped between hub and wheels.
Cavalier Steering Vibration - Dynamic Dave
Greaser pv's comment about jacking up the car has just made me think back to reports that Cavaliers shouldn't be jacked up by their suspension arms. Check that whoever did the work didn't damage the arms while the suspension was changed. Also for reference, the driveshaft damper is fitted to the offside (longest) driveshaft.
Cavalier Steering Vibration - John S
Ben

Swapping the front and rear wheels may be a step towards eliminating the wheels and tyres as a cause of the problem.

Regards

John S
Cavalier Steering Vibration - BMDUBYA
Ben

I had a similar problem, but strangely mine was due to having one rotational front tyre and one 'normal' tyre, strange I know but when I put two rotational or two 'normal' the wheel vibration stopped.

Hope this helps

Cavalier Steering Vibration - Peter D
The drive shaft are supposed to be marked and replaced in the same position then half the bolts fitted and centralised before inserint the rest and torquing up. this has not been done. Or the two front tyres are on the wrong side of the car. You can tell usually becuse the left front should have the greater outer edge wear due to the right hand bends and islands causing greater wear. Feedback as appropriate. Peter
Thanks for the feedback everyone - much appreciated.

I forgot to mention yesterday that I tried swapping the spare with one of the front wheels and it didn't make any difference (was worse if anything). I swapped the spare with the other front wheel today and the good news is that the vibration seems to have disappeared.

The bad news is the spare's really crap. It's actually a brand new budget tyre (Camac) but it gives rise to really bad handling as I discovered when I had two of them fitted at the front when I first got the car. They lasted a couple of 30 mile runs until I decided enough was enough, ditched one of them and made the other one the spare. Today the vibration had gone but the car was pulling to the right (it was the left yesterday being on the other side!).

Anyway, I think I've solved the problem but might try swapping the backs with the front as was suggested just to be sure (so as to avoid the Camac). I'll inspect the one that I took off today (which seems to have been causing the problem) for roundness and look at the rims as suggested, and just before I get a new tyre/wheel, I'll swap the two fronts round just in case they were accidently swapped round when the shocks were changed as was suggested.

The balance weight doesn't seem to have shifted by the way.

Thanks again everyone. I'll let you know the final outcome.

Ben
Cavalier Steering Vibration - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
You have me confused Peter, From recollection the driveshafs are a push fit and snap ring into the gearbox and a single nut on the outside of the hub. To which bolts do you refer?
The drive shaft are supposed to be marked and replaced in
the same position then half the bolts fitted and centralised before
inserint the rest and torquing up. this has not been done.

Andrew

Happiness is a T70 at full chat!
Hi - just a quick update.

Having swapped various wheels around in the way mentioned earlier, I'm now back to my original configuration and everything's fine, the vibration having disappeared completely! I'm at a bit of a loss to explain it, the only thing I can think of is that maybe one of the front wheels wasn't properly bolted on after the new shocks were fitted, although I would have thought that this problem would have been cured after the front wheels were re-balanced.

Anyway, the main thing is that it's fine now and hasn't cost me a penny to fix! I'll now just keep my fingers crossed that it won't happen again......

Oh, and Andrew, you're right about the driveshafts on the Cavalier.

Cheers,

Ben

Cavalier Steering Vibration - Pugugly {P}
Put this to the Mech guru who waves his magic wand over the recently acquired Cav. Straight away he questionned whether you had Vauxhall wheel trims fitted. He is an ex-vauxhall mechanic and says that these was the source of much vibration mystery in the front wheels, back in the early nineties, on Cavs.
Yeah I thought at first that it might be the wheel trims but taking them off didn't seem to make much difference. I can also remember screeching to a halt in a lay-by once in my old Astra which was possessed by the wheel wobble gremlins and tearing the hub caps off in rage, only to get even more annoyed when I set off again to find that it hadn't made any difference.

I never really managed to solve the problem with the Astra but the Cav was perfect to start with and so I knew that it was capable of better things. All in all it's a great car, cheap to buy, cheap to run and now really nice to drive again!

Anyway, good luck with your new Cav and getting the airbag light sorted out.

Ben