Who buys expensive cars? - P3t3r

I see a number of 'expensive' cars on the roads and wonder who these people are, and how much they must earn. I'm not talking about £10,000-£20000 cars (which I can understand). I thinking of something like £30,000-£50,000. In addition to the purchase cost, these vehicles of cost a lot to insurance, maintain and fuel.

How much do these people earn? Are most of these people earning over £100,000 or are they living in sheds?

I've seen somebody who has a Porsche, but doesn't even have a driveway, it's just left on the grass outside his house. It seems like his priorities are wrong. For me, I see £30,000 as a chance to either put it towards a larger house or a chance to retire earlier.

I've seen offers recently from expensive brands which say 'from £300/month'. After reading the small print, you do need to pay around another £10,000 in addition to the monthly payments, but most people could probably afford it if they really wanted to.

Who buys expensive cars? - gordonbennet

I suppose most of them are company cars, which translates as perk of the job, probably most are now leased.

There's lots of money about, people can seemingly afford to lose £10k+ a year in depreciation alone, so if its a not a worry to them why not.

If someone has a passion for something they enthuse about, thats possibly a different thing, like the Porsche you mention, cars that are different and on their own i can understand pushing the boat out for, its their thing and probably no more expensive than any other hobby/pashion over time.

I'd love a Bentley Arnage, but i wouldn't be seen dead in a premiership footballers Bentley., but each to their own.

This would be my chariot if i wanted to spend £22k out, haven't seen another 4.2 engined 70 series in the UK though no doubt someone has one.

www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan%20car/toyota/l.../

Still got a painted dash, still the same simple wiring and switchgear, still on rear leaf springs and virtually unbreakable, hazard a guess the pump is still mechanical too...DPF whats that.

Still made in troop carrier form.

Who buys expensive cars? - LondonBus

Amazing isn't it? I went past the Lexus dealer and saw lots of lovely vehicles on the forecourt. 12 months old, sticker price £35k. Who can afford this?

I earn a decent salary (£79k this year) and I would struggle to justify spending more than £20k on a vehicle.....

Who buys expensive cars? - Ben 10

To some sections of society having an expensive car is a status symbol to their family, friends and neighbours. So they scrimp, save, avoid tax live in cheaper housing to afford this luxury.

I can take you around several streets in an area near me, where the properties are semi detached, some with extentions, but most as is, and I will show you the following marques on the driveway. A Lambo, new shape Rolls, Bentley, numerous BMWs X5s, Audi Q7, E Class Mercs and other new shape lower end BMWs, Audis and Mercs.

Many, I guess are leased. From the state of the properties, they obviously believe in spending on bling rather than a home. Maybe they are well paid. Good luck to them. But they definately place their status in society by the cars they drive or have on the drive.

So in answer to your OP, anyone can afford the cars you see, but at the expense of other things. Though there are a minority who have the surplus funds to buy whatever they fancy and still have a comfortable life.

Who buys expensive cars? - bazza

Interesting point and it's a thought that often crosses my mind on my commute in the mornings. Quite young folk, driving some really quite expensive motors, I'm thinking high end Audis, BMWs and the like. I read that 70% of the new cars on our roads are financed, meaning that 70% are driving cars that are actually beyond them financially--or they wouldnt have to borrow the money would they? The great thing about leasing/PCP etc is that many people can actually afford around £300 to 400 a month, whereas the outright purchase is beyond most I guess. The problem is that looking at the monthly cost disguises the true cost of that approach. For example, £400 per month for example, over 2 x 3years lease periods amounts to a rather scary £ 28800, pretty expensive motoring for 6 years isnt it. Actually, compound that at say 5% and the true cost is an even scarier £33600. I know it's not as simple as that but one could buy and throw away several run of the mill cars and still be in profit for that! So there's your answer in my humble opinion!

Who buys expensive cars? - Falkirk Bairn

2 x sons are into cars

Their pals (+work colleagues) many are into cars to a lesser or greater extent - new Audis, BMWs larger engined X5, 5 series/A6/Porsche...the odd AM (maybe £50K 2nd hand), Most are from Edin & Glasgow Unis - design engineers that have done well in industry - Masters/1st Class with the odd PhD thrown in - some are self employed contractors, the rest are employees of multi-nationals

They are all mid-late 30s earning between £100K-£200K salary - the odd one £300K+.

Who buys expensive cars? - iFocus

I also think the same, theres no point buying anything over £20-30k.

I'd not get anything more than a 3 Series myself if I needed something quick that handles well.

Who buys expensive cars? - Andrew-T

I guess it's just a question of priorities. I'm sure quite a few people hanker from an early age after a poser's car, and may well choose to put their money there instead of in a mortgage. And having got one, they often change it for another every 2 or 3 years. It's all about appearances.

No accounting for taste ....

Who buys expensive cars? - oldroverboy.

No accounting for taste ....

I have a fairly wealthy friend who has just sold his house in surrey to someone who is knocking it down to build comething bigger (it is near wentworth) he in turn is knocking down what he has bought near godalming. He is quite happy with his 9 year old BMW740.

Another friend has a 10 yr old st ype 4.2 supercharged and a 9 year old audi tt for the missus, and a 14 year old toyota for the daughter.

It must be "status" symbolitis, but I am not jealous. when I was younger (and surely dafter) I wanted a lotus (bought it and got it out of my system rapidly)

If someone wants a new car evry year or to spend X% of their disposable income on a car/tv/holidays, that is their choice,

AND ENJOY!!!!!!

Who buys expensive cars? - bazza

I guess we all like a nice car but there's no need to spend 30 to 40K. I spent 10K once and bitterly regretted it! For me the satisfaction comes from buying something that gives me great value, being a tightwad. But I hanker after many cars, mostly older stuff, that can actually be had for peanuts these days. I saw a nice Toyota Supra today and thought that would be an interesting car to own. If I came into megabucks I'd have a 1970s 911 on the drive, next to a real Cooper S. I guess I'm a bit odd! If I was buying new through a lease or PCP , an Octavia or a Golf would do. I don't have a speed thing with cars, as I ride a 600 bike as well, all mainstream cars seem slow after that!

I do believe though, that many folk are financially dull, and are spending far too much, without really thinking that a different approach could knock years off their working life.

Who buys expensive cars? - daveyjp
I know families who have a new Range Rover for him, a new Disco for her, a CLS for him, a Q5 for her, new S500 AMG for him, new Range Rover for her, new Range Rover for him, Q7 for her. Thats £500,000 in the car park when we meet.

All have children who go to private school, the S500 owner has five of them going and the nanny has a Galaxy at her disposal.

Each of these families run their own businesses, are very successful and the car is a perk for their endeavours. None of them own the cars they run.

But the friend who earns well in to 6 figures as a partner at a law firm and his wife who is a partner at an accountancy practice run a Nissan Qashqai and a Nissan Pixo. Neither of them have the slightest interest in the cars and choose ones which meet their needs.
Who buys expensive cars? - mss1tw
I know families who have a new Range Rover for him, a new Disco for her, a CLS for him, a Q5 for her, new S500 AMG for him, new Range Rover for her, new Range Rover for him, Q7 for her.

When I'm rich i'm still going to have my Berlingo because its mere presence on the road seems to annoy people like this.

Who buys expensive cars? - dan86

We were having a discussion at work about this and unlike many of my colleagues I have a few different revenue streams as when I was in my early 20s I would work 16 hour days ect to save up to deposits to perchis properties.

One guy who has just p***d his test has gone put and brought a brand new bmw 330 he didn't say how much or what per month but I know that he can't ready aford it as he's always moaning he's no money after a week from pay day. He was saying to me why do I drive a 13 year old Toyota avencis. My reply way because I'd rather a nice house for my family to live in and no pay day loans at the end of the month.

I could happy afford a range rover or q5 ect but id rather not spend my money on one and I'd like to retire as early as possible and live happily off my other incomes.

(Sorry Dan - your post hid itself, fortunately as I was looking at the thread. Now restored.)

Edited by Avant on 27/07/2014 at 22:47

Thanks for restoring it I just got a email saying it had been deleted I wonder what I had done wrong in the post.

Who buys expensive cars? - Ethan Edwards

Or maybe these people with expensive cars are followers of the Fur coat and no knickers' theory. Plenty of bling but live in a one room rented flat, eating expired tesco value food and getting all their clothes from charity shops. Maybe. ..

Fur coat and no knickers I love that saying but it is true a lot of people live well beyond there means.

Who buys expensive cars? - John F

I see a number of 'expensive' cars on the roads and wonder who these people are, and how much they must earn. I'm not talking about £10,000-£20000 cars (which I can understand). I thinking of something like £30,000-£50,000.

£30 -50,000 is not 'expensive' these days for a new car driven by the prosperous middle classes. What really puzzles me though is why there are so many second hand low milage £50 - £150,000 cars for sale in the Sunday papers?

Who buys expensive cars? - Andrew-T

What really puzzles me though is why there are so many second hand low milage £50 - £150,000 cars for sale in the Sunday papers?

If one is in this car-buying bracket, one changes it every 2 or 3 years, as I said above. If the expensive and complex electrics fail, so what?

Who buys expensive cars? - madf

Companies take three year lease on car.

Lease expires.

Lease company sells car.

You don't think anyone except millioaires and upwards pays £150k cash?

Who buys expensive cars? - veryoldbear

£30,000 to £50,000 is a ridiculous price to pay for a car. It's only transport. We have three cars and the cost of the three put together barely exceeded the cost of a dirty weekend on the Costa Somewhereorother, wine included. And I am prosperous middle class. On second thoughts, that is probably WHY I am prosperous middle class, I haven't dispose of my income on depreciation ...

Who buys expensive cars? - daveyK_UK

Could I afford a range rover, evoque, x5, etc?

Maybe, but I could never justify it nor do I want it.

Very happy to get a new Berlingo multispace every 4 years.

Who buys expensive cars? - Avant

"What really puzzles me though is why there are so many second hand low milage £50 - £150,000 cars for sale in the Sunday papers?"

Some of them are people who have gone on the waiting list for a new car, bought it and can now make a profit selling it to someone else who doesn't want to wait.

Some of them are money launderers - make illegal money through fraud, drug dealing etc, use funds to buy a car, then sell it and get nice respectable money for it. One of the many ways of laundering money.

Who buys expensive cars? - Ed V

Some would drive to Val D'Isere in a 10 year old Subaru, rather than Andorra in a new S class.

Who buys expensive cars? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Expensive those prices? Every day on my commute through NE Derbyshire I see two Mclaren 12C, loads of Land Rover variants, Ferrraries, Porches, BMW M3 etc. even an Ariel Atom. Obviously a prosperous area. I drive a Skoda Octavia but love seeing the more interesting vehicles. The cost of tyres and servicing must be eye watering.

Who buys expensive cars? - madf

If you can afford a McLaren, (£650k?), what's £10k for tyres? (even if it's each:-)

Who buys expensive cars? - HandCart

Nah - a McLaren 12C was a snip at £160k-ish.

Who buys expensive cars? - barney100

There are great numbers of people on big salaries able to afford very expensive cars. Some peolple inherit big money and can go out and buy almost any car they want.

Who buys expensive cars? - SteveLee

The vast majority of these cars are on contract hire or lease deals where the punter is funding the depreciation of the car (and some) which then is auctioned off or sold on the forecort after a given period - most company cars are covered by this arrangement.

Many private cars are on some sort of hire purchase deal where the punters are drawn in by low monthly payments and then convince themselves they will save up for the £3-£10K final payment demanded after three years - but in reality hand the car back after funding the depreciation (plus profit) and just exchange it for another similar deal.

Very few people actually own premium cars and an increasing number of people never own their budget cars either.

Edited by SteveLee on 30/07/2014 at 23:19