Vaux Astra - brake pad replacement - HandCart

I remember a friend replacing his brake pads on a circa 1998 Vectra - simple enough job, he thought; done it on other cars in the past. But when he'd done it, he found that the brake pedal went straight to the floor, and he finished up somehow having to get his car to a garage with no brakes.

If I remember, it was something like: pushing back the pistons in the calipers had 'flipped-over' the seal on the piston in the master cylinder??

Anyway, I could do with replacing the rear pads on my 2007 Astra, and I would like to know beforehand if this model is susceptible to the same thing happening?

Is the workaround to clamp the flexi-hose and open the bleed nipple instead, to be able to push the caliper piston(s) back?

Thanks in advance

Vaux Astra - brake pad replacement - Chris M

The 'flipped-over' seals could happen on any car, so yes, opening the bleed nipple is the correct method. Obviously having done so, you need to bleed the system afterwards. A fluid change every couple of years is good practice anyway.

Vaux Astra - brake pad replacement - Wackyracer

If you have rear calipers you'll need a tool to get the pistons back in, they need to be screwed back in.

Vaux Astra - brake pad replacement - HandCart

Okey doke - thanks for the replies guys. :-)

Vaux Astra - brake pad replacement - Cyd

If the car has ABS then you should always open the nipple when pushing pistons back. Never pump fluid backwards through the ABS system.

Vaux Astra - brake pad replacement - Railroad.
Damage to the master cylinder following brake pad replacement was very common on Astra F models. I used to work in a Vauxhall dealership and myself and my colleagues have all been caught out. It's good practice to open the bleed nipple when pushing back the pistons in any case, but essential on these models.

Edited by Railroad. on 27/07/2014 at 08:36