Honda accord Tourer - Used Honda Accord sport 2.2 cdti tourer 2006 - honestsam
Hi all,
Long time reader, first time poster. Just wanted to get some opinions on a used honda accord 7th gen face lift. It's done 112k miles, and got full honda service history. It's had the clutch done I think around 60k, and is in good condition. Drives well, clutch fine, but needed a slight dip of the accelerator to start it, tho it could just need new battery. Checked for the common problems on the model like the exhaust manifold was ok, but not been replaced either. Timing chain sounded ok - maybe slight rattle when first started. VCA light came on and off and the button operated it ok. The other thing I raised an eyebrow at was that the honda garage used semi synthetic oil. For 3k I thought it was keenly priced but should I be wary? Accord is reliable, but worried that potential problems that have not been dealt with will definitely be an issue in the future.
Many thanks
Honda accord Tourer - Used Honda Accord sport 2.2 cdti tourer 2006 - RobJP

If it had a clutch after 60k, and it's done another 56k since then ... well, you do the maths.

Apart from that, it's an 8 year old car which has been round the world 4+ times. You could be lucky, or you could be unlucky. It's entirely possible that it could go for another 4 or 5 years/100k needing nothing more than maintenance and consumables. Or it could fail catastrophically in 10k.

Hi,

Yes I appreciate it's a gamble, it's always a gamble, but I just wanted opinions of whether it was a decent bet. The things you read here there and everywhere puts me off the honda, but at the same time I've read that they are very reliable. Reliability stats only seem interested in the first few years so I thought it'd be worth getting real world advice.

For example the exhaust manifold in the 06 car has a fault which means it is prone to cracking. This one is still the original part, so are there any/many stories of this part lasting 10 years plus or over 200k miles?? I'd love to know the actual failure rate of these!

You mention the clutch went at 60k so only expect another 60k for the next one but is that even a decent assumption to make??

The car appears to have been using semi synthetic oil for the past 6 years, so is that an instant walkaway?

I was hoping for those sorts of insights from more experienced car owners.

Honda accord Tourer - Used Honda Accord sport 2.2 cdti tourer 2006 - gordonbennet

Manifoild i would have thought could be welded easily enough if it cracks, but i haven't seen one of these failed so thats only a theory.

First clutch might have been driven by an idiot who rides it instead of going to all that endless trouble of putting the parking brake on, a la white van man, this one might last till tomorrow or for another 60k.

Semi is ok, so long as the spec is right, it was of decent quality and its been changed regularly....i'd rather run Millers or other good quality semi than some cheap tat so called synthetic.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/07/2014 at 23:28

Honda accord Tourer - Used Honda Accord sport 2.2 cdti tourer 2006 - focussed

Honda's 2.2 diesel should be running 5W-30 fully synthetic-there is also a recommendation from Honda to run 0W-30 again fully synthetic for better fuel economy, I have found that when on the 0W-30 the motor in my 07 Civic will use a little oil between changes but with the 5W-30 it doesn't. No real difference in fuel mileage though.

There were clutch problems with this unit-there were a lot replaced under warranty as was mine at 25 k due to slipping in 5th and 6th at 2000 to 2500 rpm with foot to the floor-that's the way to check it and watch the tacho doesn't jump.

There is always a bit of chain noise from this motor, mine has done it from new, like a whine/whistle.

Honda accord Tourer - Used Honda Accord sport 2.2 cdti tourer 2006 - Simon

It doesn't sound like a bad car to me. The question that you should be asking is for the 3K that this car is, is there a better example of the same car, with less miles and all of the common faults having been already rectified out there for sale? If there is then buy it, if not then maybe this is the car for you.

Thanks for the responses. On the last one, it's quite difficult to compare like for like when you're looking on the cheaper side of things. They all have different histories, mileage, most are executive models. You can't really be that picky, unless you want an older mondeo or such like. It is one of the cheaper examples though.

I'm leaning towards this one, the service history is good, it's been looked after and there weren't advisories in the mot, all the buttons are working, so it's as good as it's going to get unless I start looking further afield.

Just to let you know what happened in the end...

I went to look at the car on Saturday, about an hour's drive away. Anyway when I got there it was tipping it down and I couldn't really assess the body work very well. I assumed it would be as good as my 05 Maszda3 which is ok to good. Checked the paper work and drove it and all was well. Said I'd sleep on it.

Next day called up the dude and agreed a price, then went up with my brother the next day to pick up the car. It was a glorious day when we rolled up, but to my horror, I saw that the paint work had some massive white marks across the length of the body!! The guy could see our displeasure and started to apply polish to hide them, but it was already too late! It was BAD and so we made our excuses and left.

Not entirely sure how he managed to do it, although we think he possibly polished it either waaaay too much over the years or didn't clean the polish off properly and left it in the sun or something chemical related.

Just goes to show that you worry about reliability and everything, but really the first priority is that when you show off a new car to your mates you don't want them to think - what a load of s***!!!

Honda accord Tourer - Used Honda Accord sport 2.2 cdti tourer 2006 - Bolt

Was it red by any chance?