1st car - £3K-£4K budget - redcard

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy my first car in the next couple of months, budget is around £4K max.

I''ve been looking at Toyota Aygo, Honda Jazz, Kia Picanto and what seems like dozens of other identi-kit cars. I much prefer the Aygo so far.

Anyway, are these cars all much of a muchness, or is there 1 that particularly stands out for any reason? I understand the Jazz is possibly a little larger inside than most. My main criteria are probably running and repair costs.

Would anyone recommend going for a Megane with his budget?

Thanks for any responses!

1st car - £3K-£4K budget - McP

Hello

It depends to a degree on what you will use the car for. How many passengers you might carry and boot space needed? How many miles you will do? Much motorway driving?

Is insurance a problem? You could be newly passed 17 year old or have had a Company car for the last 30 years.

I had a 1.4 petrol Jazz as a hire car. Not exciting but nice to drive with a decent amount of space.

The Aygo and Picanto will be fine around town and the odd motorway trip.

A coule of years ago, we looked at an Aygo for my partner who mainly drives in town. She didn't like the tiny boot. We ended up with a 2005 1.0 Yaris. The rear seat slides to increase rear passenger or boot space. A good car so far if a little slow for me.

The Picanto in your price range should be under Kia's 7 year warranty, providing it has been serviced to their schedule. I have a Kia and have had a couple of minor repars done under warranty at around 5 years old.

The Megane? Personally no but I have no experience of them.

Thanks for the response McP.

To give some more info:

I'll be using it for commuting, probably 100 milers per week, half main roads, half motorway.

I'll mostly be driving solo. I'm 35 and a new driver so insurance may be an issue. Boot space isn't really an issue, I'm mostly looking for something cheap with good MPG and economical to repair.

1st car - £3K-£4K budget - Avant

The Aygo is a bit of a buzzbox on the motorway so if I were you I'd go for a 1.3 Toyota Yaris: more lively than the 1.0 and not much less economical as you don't need such a heavy right foot to make reasonable progress.

Find one with a full service history and you should find it very reliable. Shop around for insurance on the comparison websites.

Thanks Avant.

Found a few within my budget - looks like a good option. Cheers!

1st car - £3K-£4K budget - McP

If you have a partner/spouse with full no claims, some Insurance Companies will give you a good rate and accelerated No Claim Discount on a second car in the household.

We use Direct Line but others do it too.

1.3 Yaris is a good suggestion if you will be doing some motorway driving.

1st car - £3K-£4K budget - twitcherman

100 miles commute/week = 20 miles/day = 10 miles each way, so 5 miles on motorway per journey. Assuming OP will be travelling at busy times when speed will be restricted due to traffic, I wouldn't rule out Aygo/C1/107. Cheap to run - fuel/tax/insurance and few nasty surprises.

1st car - £3K-£4K budget - gordonbennet

Aygo is a good car, cheap as chips to maintain properly, high quality sensibly sized tyres @ £35/40 apiece...so long as you DIY some jobs or get a trusted indy to do the extra work over and above basic servicing.

Toyota dealer tried to charge £97ish to change the gearbox oil on the family Aygo, thats 1.7 litres of GL4 (i bought 5 litres of full synthetic MIllers GL4/5 for just over £20 so far better oil than they would have used) and about 15 minutes tops...other attempted overpricing of extras like this at the same time has lost the (large town) dealer all future servicing work and once its out of warranty next year i shall do the lot.

Avant is right in that its noisy on the open road, thats because like far too many modern cars they are lacking soundproofing in certain key areas, mainly the rear wheelarches, for about £40 and a couple of hours of easy DIY you can reduce the road noise by a substantial amount on almost all budget cars...a search for soundproofing should reveal the thead where we discussed this, last year i think.

1st car - £3K-£4K budget - daveyjp
Aygo is OK, but at this money check for water ingress. Ours leaked like a sieve into the boot at 6 years old. Using a hosepipe I could see 3 areas it was getting in.

Also check insurance, it may not be as cheap as you think for a group 1 car.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Cabin noise isn't really something I'd considered. How bad is it? Loud enough that you would need to raise your voice to be heard by a passenger?

1st car - £3K-£4K budget - gordonbennet

Road roar is a big problem on lots of vehicles, especially those fitted with massive wheels and elastic band tyres, the Aygo isn't so fitted but the lack of any soundproofing whatsoever over the rear wheelarches, under the rear seat, in the boot area and inside doors and rear quarter panels means as speed rises the noise gets intrusive, it doesn't help that the standard radio and speakers are stunningly poor, so turning up the permanent distortion from that source only adds to the overall din.

Its isn't alone in this and on too many cars, incl some costing far more if you unclip the plastic cover over the rear wheelarch you will find only painted tin foil thickness steel, if you do nothing other than stick some self adhesive soundproofing pads over the entire wheelarches (between shell and trim obviously) you will find a big difference....its easy to experiment and find the source, just shove some duvets/blankets over the most likely sources and then soundproof to suit.

SWMBO had a C2 VTS for a while, that was diabolical for noise think of the most beat up old empty panel van you've ever been in and you're half way there, you couldn't hear yourself think and the poor quality trim was wafer thickness with no insulation at all, getting rid of the OE Michelins helped no end (and stopped the awful torque steer too), but fully soundproofing the rear end made the car inhabitable at motorway speeds.

Edited by gordonbennet on 20/07/2014 at 10:45

1st car - £3K-£4K budget - Avant

Noise - road or engine - wasn't a problem with the four Yarises that my daughter had.

Thanks Avant.

Yaris is top of my list. Hopefully be in a position to buy around October time!