BMW 7 Series, Lexus , Volvo - Recommendations for a large car/ SUV below 8 k - traktorfan

I was looking for a large car with low running costs. Is there such thing?

I was thinking a Volvo or BMW or a Mercedes. Any advice would be much appreciated!

BMW 7 Series, Lexus , Volvo - Recommendations for a large car/ SUV below 8 k - oldtoffee

Ford Mondeo, Skoda Superb, Kia Magentis, Hyundai Sonata, all big cars, will cost less to buy and should cost less to run.

BMW 7 Series, Lexus , Volvo - Recommendations for a large car/ SUV below 8 k - RobJP

Honestjohn always reckons that when you buy a car, look at what the original price was when thinking about possible repair costs. In other words, could you afford to repair a £60k car (the original list price) if it went wrong, bearing in mind that repairs will probably cost a lot more than (for example) a £20k car.

If the answer still comes back as yes, then you can get some reasonably economical versions of luxury cars. The BMW 730d, Merc S320diesel, Jag XJd, Volvo S80d, are all reasonably economical. By which I mean that you can get 30-35 mpg if you drive carefully.

They are all still big, moderately heavy cars though, and that will always hurt the fuel economy.

The alternative would be to drop down a size - to the 5-series/E-class size cars. Usually a lot more smaller engines, so better economy possible, and something like a 5 series or E class merc isn't exactly slumming it in terms of comfort.

BMW 7 Series, Lexus , Volvo - Recommendations for a large car/ SUV below 8 k - traktorfan

Thank you for your reply .

Where would you set the limit for age and mileage? Any cars to steer clear off?

I think you can get the Volvos quote cheap.

BMW 7 Series, Lexus , Volvo - Recommendations for a large car/ SUV below 8 k - RobJP

I'd be much more concerned with service history and condition, rather than mileage and age.

The Volvo S80s were very popular with the airport limo industry a few years ago. Understandable so, as they are/were very comfortable places to be, whether as driver or passenger. However, I believe they need relatively frequent cambelt changes, which obviously pushes up the running costs. Of course, some people then don't bother, and when they get rid of the cars, the next person is left holding the baby.

BMW's have the stupid long service interval, which means that expensive engine failures are possible (unless someone in the know has owned it, and had it over-serviced). The Jag XJ is supposed to be very nice, but at about 100k requires a lot of maintenance (cambelts, etc). No Idea on the Mercs.

You've got to decide exactly what you want out of a car, really. A large car ? An SUV? An estate car ? Do you like autoboxes, or prefer a manual box ? What sort of fuel economy can you REALLY put up with, before it becomes too horrific ? If it's post 2006 (which it may well be, at that price bracket) then you could be looking at car tax up to £500 a year. Is that scary ?

BMW 7 Series, Lexus , Volvo - Recommendations for a large car/ SUV below 8 k - pd

Volvo S80 cambelts are 96k or 108k depending on service schedule.

They really shouldn't take a decent mechanic more than an hour to do.

BMW 7 Series, Lexus , Volvo - Recommendations for a large car/ SUV below 8 k - madf

BIL - who loves Mercs - has just bought a one owner 2008 320CDI S class with 24k warranted miles. It had a year's warranty.One owner. Looked and sounded perfect.

The warranty claims on brakes and electric bits came to £2500 in the first six months. The warrnty company paid.

Those are the kind of running costs you can reasonably expect every so often..

Thanks for your reply. It might be a good reality check.

I would prefer automatic.

I don't mind the brand as long its big and comfy. Are there premium cars with a lower insurance or tax cost expection?

Somebody suggested the Dacia Duster.

The thing is will the Dacia fall apart in three years and the Mercedes still run? Or are the golden days for premium brands over?

BMW 7 Series, Lexus , Volvo - Recommendations for a large car/ SUV below 8 k - corax

The thing is will the Dacia fall apart in three years and the Mercedes still run? Or are the golden days for premium brands over?

You don't get an idea of how long a car is going to last until it's been in service for a number of years. That's when the cracks start to show, the care in which the car has been put together, the component quality, wiring routing, position of key components within the car, materials used and so on.

All manufacturers go through phases where their products can be good and not so good, depending on the engineers and designers employed at the time.

There seems to be a growing trend of changing your car every few years for a shiny new thing - the older stuff has to be sifted through by bottom feeders like me to find the choice morsels.

BMW 7 Series, Lexus , Volvo - Recommendations for a large car/ SUV below 8 k - HandCart

For £8k you can get a 60 reg Kia Magentis diesel auto with just 21k miles on it. VED is £225.

Or for £4k you can get the same thing with a 57 reg and 53k miles on it.

Or if you fancy a bit of a flutter, also for less than £4k you can get a 2008 Citroen C5 diesel auto with about 50k miles on, with the later 'boomerang-shaped' lights.

The OP starts off by saying they're after a BMW 7 series, Lexus, equivalent (basically, a luxury car). Wants (in their last post) "big and comfy" ... but is also considering Dacia Duster ?

BMW 7 Series, Lexus , Volvo - Recommendations for a large car/ SUV below 8 k - oldtoffee

>>>but is also considering Dacia Duster ?

I was wondering the same. No the Dacia Duster is not big and not comfy (lots of road noise, poor soundproofing, thin seats, wind noise from SUV aerodynamics) and they appear to be coming in with rust from day one so avoid.

I'd go for a Superb, 2.0 diesel common rail, more rear leg space than a 7 series or S Class (so seats down = massive boot.) Great on the motorways and plenty of decent independents to look after it.

BMW 7 Series, Lexus , Volvo - Recommendations for a large car/ SUV below 8 k - Ed V

Citroen C6 and C5 are great value used, and their main selling point is comfort (and size).

BMW 7 Series, Lexus , Volvo - Recommendations for a large car/ SUV below 8 k - gordonbennet

If you run any premium car packed to the roof with electronic tat, it will sooner or later cost you a premium cars' extended diagnosis and repair cost, the more modern the more likely for ever more tat to be electronically controlled.

Probably the best car for this purpose would be finding one of the very last Lexus LS400s and getting it LPG'd and run it forever...again if its been neglected in its past or you neglect it in the future it will bite you in the bum.

I'd run a mile from a BMW 7 series after 2001.

KIa/Hyundai suggestions above are valid, thing being you are going to get a large older design Korean car cheap enough in the first place, i'd have either a Sonata or Magentis, if you want a luxobarge at disposable money a Hyundai XG30 is the one, if you don't mind handing over £500 a year in VED robbery for our leaders to send to foreign dictators then the later Hyundai Grandeur if you can find one.

Left field, Toyota Camry, probably the most reliable car in this sector.

BMW 7 Series, Lexus , Volvo - Recommendations for a large car/ SUV below 8 k - bananastand

I would try a Phaeton with great history. They seem to have become almost worthless. C6s are dropping nicely now too. Other than the Phaeton I think Germans are overpriced because of some misplaced badge thing.

I still hanker after the awesome Vectra 3.2 estate auto. As much room as a limo, great roadholding, and very fast, 0-60 in just over 7. Apart from the usual history thing you must check the cambelt's been done with invoice. You will hear loads of sellers say it's been done but me mate did it and i never got a receipt zzzzzz

BMW 7 Series, Lexus , Volvo - Recommendations for a large car/ SUV below 8 k - barney100

A someone said the warranty company paid the bill for him. Those private warranties are a buffer against nasty bills on expensive cars. I'd have a look at the cars I fancied, choose one and get a warranty sorted.

BMW 7 Series, Lexus , Volvo - Recommendations for a large car/ SUV below 8 k - John F

Audi A6 should feature on this list. Old ones are especially good value - timeless styling, galvanised body. Choose one with a ZF box, not multitronic. After 15yrs they remain immaculate long after the equivalent Mercs have rotted away or mixed their gearbox oil with the water. I had a 2.8SE for 11yrs - best car I ever had.