Ford Fiesta - Buying a car from a dealership - HelenAlmond

I am buying a 2009 ford fiesta with 19000 miles on the clock for £5900, Should this be covered with a warranty?

Ford Fiesta - Buying a car from a dealership - FP

"Should this be covered with a warranty?"

I presume you're buying from a dealer and, if your question really means, "Should I take the offer of a warranty, for which I will be charged £xx?" most of us would probably say no. Such warranties often have so many exclusions they are worth little - certainly not what you will be charged. And in any case, the dealer is open to claims under SOGA (Sale of Goods Act) if things go wrong.

Ford Fiesta - Buying a car from a dealership - oldroverboy.

I am buying a 2009 ford fiesta with 19000 miles on the clock for £5900, Should this be covered with a warranty?

Is it a 5 year old low mileage petrol or diesel. Main dealer? has it full service history, ANNUAL service?

It is at the top end of the price range. spend another £95 and buy a dacia sanderos with a 3 year warranty. brand new on the road.

Aftermarket warranties are usually only fit to be used as toilet paper.

Ford Fiesta - Buying a car from a dealership - gordonbennet

What you need is a genuine car manufacturers used car warranty, usually accompanying an ''approved used'' car.

Ford Direct if its still as was would be the one i think if its a Ford Dealer, but somehow i doubt if this car is young enough to qualify, most makes have similar, most are as good as a new car warranty for the period covered.

As above about aftermarket insurance based warranties, most expensive spare bog roll ever.

If twer me i'd spend some money on getting a mechanic i trust, maybe the one who's going to look after it for you?, to go over the car completely, OK you'll have to hire him for half or a full day plus travelling expenses, but i'd rather spend £200 on him than the same amount on a worthless warranty....if not at least take someone with you who knows about cars and can go through the SH with a microscope for you as well as cast a cynical eye over the thing...preferably someone who thinks like some of us, who know instinctively that carsales bods and politicians are the devils spawn.

Ford Fiesta - Buying a car from a dealership - 72 dudes

Helen, I have to agree with most of the above comments.

If you're not buying privately (hopefully not, at that price), then it should come with a minimum 3 month warranty. Do not be tempted to pay more to upgrade to a longer one.

But gordonbennet is right, take someone along who can go over the car and cut through any sales BS.

You say "I am buying....." so if the deal is done it maybe too late, but a little more info would help us give better advice.

Ford Fiesta - Buying a car from a dealership - hillman

"Aftermarket warranties are usually only fit to be used as toilet paper." Although I've got to agree with the sentiment the practice is flawed.

It might be regarded as old fashioned, but my lady friends find that they get better service if they take a male relative with them, one that can see through a salesman's hard talk. What you might do is ask the dealer to take the car to an MOT garage, of your choice, and you pay for a new (and honest) MOT. If the saleman demurs, turn around and walk away. There are lots of cars for sale.