2002 Ford Ka 1.3i - Buying advice - Buying a cheap temporary car, advice needed - Ralph_

Hi All,

A family member is selling a 2002 Ford Ka with 90,000 miles on it. They're looking for around £500-£600 for the car. Its just passed the MOT and has a years tax.

Its in good shape, pretty spotless interior, and the exterior is what you'd expect from a ford that old. There is a small amount of rust on the drivers door and one of the a pillars. They've replaced both of the sills recently and had the bottom of the car treated with wax-oil at the same time. Its had new front tyres fitted recently and break pads too. They've looked after the car very well.

I had a nice car myself up until last month where I had to sell it due to lack of use. I'm able to cycle to work 5 days a week so my old car was just sitting on the drive losing value. I just want something cheap that'll do for a run around on weekends and doing the weekly shop. My younger brother is wanting to learn how to drive and it could be ideal for him to learn how to drive in while I've got it for the next year or so (I plan on getting something nicer down the line again).

So, what does everybody think of the KA? I've heard it referred to as a rust bucket and it will only rot. Is it just going to be something that'll cause me trouble? Or is it ideal for what I've described?

2002 Ford Ka 1.3i - Buying advice - Buying a cheap temporary car, advice needed - pcvpilotmick

I'd bite their hand off! £500 - £600 for a car that has obviously been looked after, with 12 months tax and test and some recently replaced consumables sounds pretty good to me.

2002 Ford Ka 1.3i - Buying advice - Buying a cheap temporary car, advice needed - Armitage Shanks {p}

Both my granddaughters have bought MK1 KAs, really becuase they are cheap to insure. They went for the age car that you are looking at and that sort of price, no problems in 3 months. Got to be worth a look.

2002 Ford Ka 1.3i - Buying advice - Buying a cheap temporary car, advice needed - elekie&a/c doctor

If it is good underneath,then go for it.Corrosion is the biggest killer on these.They are simple mechanicals and generally cheap to fix.Just watch for correct heater operation and power steering leaks.