Hyundai i30 2012 new shape. - Power steering - ROBBIENUD

I have an Hyundai i30 , model is Techno, which I understand has electronic power steering asistance. Car is perfect around town or around corners, no problems. But on a motorway in a straight line the steering seems to "lock" up slightly and requires more than normal effort to move the steerig wheel the slight amount to correct normal changes in direction caused by side winds, camber etc.

This results in overcorrecting and again this has to be corrected in the opposite direction to get back on line. This results in a zig-zag form of driving, uncomfortable to passengers etc. and disconcerting to the driver.

I have been driving for 40 odd years, cars and vans of all sizes and makes, never had this before.

Any one else experienced this with the new shape i30 ?. Been back under warranty and after several hours and test drives it was declared normal and no problems at all. The test was done around town and not on a motorway, so no problem would show up.

The dealer seemed very helpful and I saw the car on the computer and having wheel alignment checked. So is this a downside on this model ? Brian. W.

Hyundai i30 2012 new shape. - Power steering - kiss (keep it simple)

I have had a couple of these as hire cars and haven't really had a problem. Does yours have the 3 levels of assistance, sport, normal and comfort? If so you could try a different setting.

Hyundai i30 2012 new shape. - Power steering - Manatee

I got exactly the same sensation with our 2002 Civic 1.6 auto that we sold a month ago. I can't honestly recall it being like that from new, but it certainly was for a good few years. A sort of 'sticking' sensation that makes fine, continuous adjustment slightly more noticeable than it should be?

I also drove my uncle's 2003, mechanically simlar car recently. That was exactly the same.

They have electric PAS too.

Hyundai i30 2012 new shape. - Power steering - dogdays

I dont know for sure, but it sounds like the strain gauge sensors that are mounted on the steering column are on the way out. Not a cheap repair as its usualy a new column job.

Hyundai i30 2012 new shape. - Power steering - Bob Purton

I have exactly the same sensation with my 2013 model. Its only covered 11,000 miles so surely nothing can be worn out? Is this a characteristic or is it a fault?