Renault Clio2 1.9dti diesel - Recommended oil - pullgees

Just bought it's a turbo and it needs an oil change, what type of oil should I get, 10-40, 5-40, semi or normal/

Renault Clio2 1.9dti diesel - Recommended oil - bathtub tom

www.commaoil.com/products#make/1

I can't be bothered to search all the options.

Other oil companies are available if you can be bothered!

Thank you. I went to a few oil sites and it seems semisyn 10-40 will do.

Renault Clio2 1.9dti diesel - Recommended oil - Fernando P

You have not disclosed what the year of the car is! But 5w/40 fully synthetic (diesel) is what is required or other oils to Ren 0710 standard - if you want to keep the turbo charger running for a longer time.

Renault Clio2 1.9dti diesel - Recommended oil - Wackyracer

Both 10w40 and 5w40 would be ok, I'd go for the 5w40 as it is usually a fully synthetic.

The lower cold viscosity of the 5w40 won't make any difference in the UK climate.

Both 10w40 and 5w40 would be ok, I'd go for the 5w40 as it is usually a fully synthetic.

The lower cold viscosity of the 5w40 won't make any difference in the UK climate.

If the engine already has semi syn it would be okay to change to fully synthetic, yes? The residue oil would not conflict, is that right?

Renault Clio2 1.9dti diesel - Recommended oil - skidpan

If the engine already has semi syn it would be okay to change to fully synthetic, yes? The residue oil would not conflict, is that right?

Its perfectly safe to mix all types of oil. It has to be since how could any one really know whay was in it before and even a full oil change always leaves a small amount (probably 1/4 litre) in the sump and oil galleries.

Imagine how many failures there would be if different types of oils did not mix.

Renault Clio2 1.9dti diesel - Recommended oil - gordonbennet

I usually buy several gallons of good 5W 40 full synthetic when its on offer.

That goes in all our cars...even though everyone seems to think 5/30 is the new kid on the block, a perusal of the handbook on the oil viscosity page will soon show that the 5/40 is also in the recommended range for our climate for any cars that i'm ever likely to buy, obviously check it has the correct C rating if required.

Interesting you mention about oil left in the engine Skidpan, thats been the case in most of our previous Diesels, indeed the family BMW 320 would blacken its oil even whilst pouring the fresh in, the 1.6 PSA was equally filthy within seconds of starting, but the 3 litre Hilux kept its oil spotlessly clean for well over 1000 miles after each change, the cleanest Diesel engine i have ever known, one of the only designs where almost every drop in the engine must drain out via the sump plug.

Edited by gordonbennet on 10/07/2014 at 10:35

If you look at the specs of 5w30 and 5w40 you will see that the HTHS is the same for both of them so in effect they can offer the same proctection against wear.

The only difference is the ambient operating temperatures, The 30 weight usually has a maximum operating temperature of +45 and even here in the sunny south I can't remember it ever being that hot.

I've used both 5w30, 5w40 and 10w40 in my home fleet and not noticed any diffence.

Interestingly I did notice a difference to how quickly the oil light went out, when using 5w40 of different well known brands. The Valvoline oils took longer for the oil light to go out.

As for mixing or changing to fully synthetic. They are all miscible with one another.

I think alot of the confusion about not being able to use synthetics is due to very old engines oil seals not being up to scratch and them relying on the gunk that has built up over the years. Synthetic oils have very good cleaning properties.

Edited by Wackyracer on 10/07/2014 at 11:31

Renault Clio2 1.9dti diesel - Recommended oil - bathtub tom

>>Its perfectly safe to mix all types of oil

Oh no it's not! Try using mineral oil in an engine that's been using vegetable oil (or vice versa). Castrol R's still available and used.

>>Its perfectly safe to mix all types of oil

Oh no it's not! Try using mineral oil in an engine that's been using vegetable oil (or vice versa). Castrol R's still available and used.

I'd put money on it that a Renault Clio 2 is not using or ever used a Vegetable based oil, Unless some numpty poured it in, in error.

But, Mineral from the last 20 years, Semi synthetic and Synthetic are miscible for sure.