focus focus 1.8 tdci - focus focus 1.8 tdci weird starting problems - ford112w

The car starting giving starting problems like 4 months ago. Early morning in cold mornings the car won't start.

I got the glow plugs changed the problems was gone for like 1 week and after that it came back again.

If I leave the key the middle for like 15 second and like do it twice and the car would start in the first try. But it was a rough start with some white smoke.

The problem started going worse and I will to fully press the accelerator while starting the car would start.

I got the car checked again and no error codes were found. And the glow plugs were fine and getting the right power.

I was advised to get a service and I got the car fully serviced.

The problem went away for a week and came back again and in a lot worse condition.

I understand that in the car is facing a down hill position. It starts in like first or second try. And if it's in a up hill posting the diesel won't pump in.

My house in front of a road which is down hill and the front of the car is facing down. I think it's easy for the diesel to go in the filter.

Anyways I have ask around many people. Most of the answers are that from somewhere air in going in the fuel line. That's why it has trouble starting. And if it starts gives while smoke.

I am just worried it might be the fuel pump.

If the car starts it drives fine everything is good power is fine.

One more things if I start it drive it and turn it off and then start it. It will still struggle.

Help

focus focus 1.8 tdci - focus focus 1.8 tdci weird starting problems - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Well, first of all, the glow plugs on these high-pressure Tdci engines only get used in sub-zero temperatures. The glow-plug light on my 1.4Tdci only comes in on an icy morning. I believe that the heater element in the fuel filter is also energised when the glow plug light comes in. Perhaps a more knowlegable contributor could confirm that?

If your 1.8Tdci has a priming bulb in the fuel line, that would help to check for air in the fuel line, but manufacturers don't seem to like fitting priming bulbs any more. After all, they make it too easy for the owner to do simple jobs such as changing the fuel filter, himself, rather than taking it back to the dealer. So if there's room, consider buying (Eurocarparts have them) a priming pulb and fitting it into the feed to the fuel filter. After all, if there was a priming bulb there, and you had difficulty starting, just a couple of squeezes of the priming bulb would show if there's air in the line.

focus focus 1.8 tdci - focus focus 1.8 tdci weird starting problems - Peter.N.

I don't know if these use an in tank fuel pump like PSA engines, depends on the injection system, if it does that could be failing, otherwise as already mentioned you have an air leak somewhere.