Outlander 2 - Brake wear - pads vs discs - Manatee

Swapping wheels about the other day, I checked the brake pads as usual. I knew they were wearing a lot faster than I am accustomed to but to find them nearly worn out at 28,000 was a surprise.

What was even more surprising was the discs. They look perfect, no grooves etc, but have a significant lip. Given that the wear allowance is only 1.6mm I'll change those too.

The front brakes on this car have always made far more dust than the CRV I had last (pads lasted three times as long, discs fine).

I can only put it down to the pad material. I hoped that the silver lining would be that the discs would wear slowly, but apparently not so.

Is that normal these days? I'd hope to get at least two sets of pads per disc.

Went for Pagid from carpartsforless (ECP but cheaper) at about £100. Mintex would have been cheaper still, about £75 on the big auction site but TMD clearly position those as the budget range now so I swerved round those.

It will be interesting to see how the Pagid set up wears compared with the originals.

Outlander 2 - Brake wear - pads vs discs - skidpan

Since asbestos was banned as a friction material brake pads have contained a fair bit of sintered metal. This wears discs much faster. Normally I use 2 sets of pads to 1 set of discs on the front. Buts some discs are made of softer metal than other so there is no set rule.

At the end of the day neither part is expensive and is relatively easy to swap so why bother.

Well, I'm not losing sleep over it, and I am replacing the lot.

But I am very light on brakes, hence the surprise - if they have only lasted me 28,000 miles, there must be heavier-footed people getting them done at every service on Outlanders/C-Crossers/4007s.

Outlander 2 - Brake wear - pads vs discs - gordonbennet

Sounds about right, i usually get 2 sets of pads from a pair of discs, but not always.

Are the rears free and working well MT, our Outlander 1 with its full MD history quite obviously didn't include any preventative miantenance at all (as seems to be normal these days), they were in awful semi seized shape when we bought the thing, indeed i ended up renewing one rear caliper the piston was so badly corroded.

Either way the set for your car are not badly priced, i went Mintex on the Outback, £134 the lot discs and pads all round, about a third cheaper than Pagid, they really do stop well.

Checked the OBC for brake wear on my tractor unit this week, its 18 months old and just clicked over 200k kms, steer and drive axle pads both about 50% worn, midlift about 25% worn, interestingly i notice a reasonable lip forming on the front discs so it will be interesting to see whether they get changed when new pads go on, or maybe heavily built enough to take a skim, or maybe left as is.

Rears will need discs before pads GB, though both will get replaced of course. I don't think they have ever cleaned up properly from new and probably half the swept area is showing corrosion. But the MoT brake test was fine (they were not deemed to be "weakened") and the calipers are free so I'll do them after the winter I think, as they basically do more rusting than wearing.

The rears seem to do less work than on any car I've ever had. Rare to get them too hot to touch.

The car is now 39 months old and has had three services. The dealer has never taken the wheels off as far as I can tell.

Outlander 2 - Brake wear - pads vs discs - gordonbennet

Its a funny thing about the MOT test, whilst brakes may be powerful enough to pass muster at full pedal, the machine doesn't test for distribution between axles for any given pedal pressure.

Many times over the years i've found vehicles to have imbalanced brakes, obviously in the days before ABS it wasa easy to check this out in the wet, you obviously don't want the rears to reach lock up stage prior to the fronts but some rears seem to be totally ineffective, especially at lighter brake applications.

Good point GB. I have no idea how the balance is managed on a car with ABS, EBD,EBS,ESP,EDL etc etc., but it seems to work.

My S3 Landrover OTH would lock the back wheels first every time and very easily in the wet. Brought a whole new meaning to panic braking. A very dangerous trait and far more so than anything it could possibly have failed the MoT for.

Outlander 2 - Brake wear - pads vs discs - Simon
If TMD make both the Pagid and Minted branded stuff, I can't imagine that there is much to choose between them. I dare bet that they are pretty much the same thing in different boxes? Any thoughts on this theory?
Outlander 2 - Brake wear - pads vs discs - Cyd

Mintex discs and pads are fitted by OEs from all over the world. I've no idea what brand the OE discs were on my Saab 9-3 Aero, but when I replaced the fronts last year I used Mintex. When I do the rears later this year I'll use Mintex again. I got mine from Premier Factors in Walsall using their eBay shop. I've been very happy with the discs and pads - I've had them quite stinky a few times after some spirited driving, with only the slightest reduction in braking at high temp but no actual fade. They are 304mm discs though (and 296mm vented at the rear too) so can handle plenty of heat! Remmember when Minis had wheels about that size!!

Plenty of bite from cold and wear rate seems reasonable (1625kg car!).

Whatever brand you choose, I would suggest using the same brand discs and pads - the material mix of both will have been engineered to match. PS this advice was given to me some years ago by a Jaguar Principle Chassis Engineer and I've always followed it.

I'm sure they're fine but I get the impression they are more generic than the Pagid or Textar ranges. That's the problem - it's only an impression.

They are in effect saying they are different, without being totally clear about what those differences are.

www.textar.com/en/products-mainmenu-29

"Over four years of development and testing goes into every one of TMD Friction’s OE products and Textar brake pads are manufactured using the same materials and components – such as back plates and a wide variety of noise fix solutions – on the same production lines. Textar’s application-specific engineering and technical expertise provide brake pads that are close to refit OE quality."

www.pagid.com/en/products-mainmenu-29/pagid-passen...0

"All Pagid pads are manufactured to O.E. specification including more than 20 types of noise fix and packaged accessories."

mintex.co.uk/1078-2/

"Mintex brake pads are developed and engineered to meet a significant demand for cost-effective braking solutions that deliver the optimum balance between performance and extended service life, by providing quality products at affordable prices."

I read that as -

Textar are as like OE as we can make them

Pagid meet OE requirements.

Mintex are good enough, and cheaper.

You pays yer money and you takes yer choice.