Volkswagen Passat - Engine runs without key! - GarethWall

Hello. I remove the key from the ignition and the engine continues to run. It's an intermittent problem. I tried using the spare key, it makes no difference, the problem still occurs. The engine finally stops by itself after I remove the key - it takes anything from 5 secs to 2 mins. Any ideas what the problem is? Recent maintainance - the clutch failed because of a burst pipe - only repaired a few days ago! The car recently had a Sold Mass flywheel conversion kit fitted.

Thank-you, Gareth.

Car details:

2.0 TDI version. 140BHP. 2007. 107,000 miles.

Volkswagen Passat - Engine runs without key! - dieselnut

The key just electrically operates a steering lock module located low down on the steering collumn. I would suspect either something is sticking in the module mechanism or possibly a sticking relay.

Your best place to start is probably a diagnostic read with VCDS or equivalent to see if anything is showing up.

Here is a link explaining this overcomplicated unit that replaces a simple key & mechanical stering lock. That's progress!

sites.google.com/site/1810martin/b6-steering-fault

Volkswagen Passat - Engine runs without key! - GarethWall

Thank-you for the reply.

I've booked the car into a mechanic (a relative) who can hopefully diagnose the issue and fix the problem. I'm just hoping that it's not a messy electrical issue, and that it's easy to fix! The last thing I want is to have to bring it to VW - they will cost me a fortune! £98/hour to run diasnostics.