Mercedes E320CDI - 163000 miles and No Problems Is this a record? - timbo123
I have owned a May 2005 Merc E320 CDI inline 6 for 6 years and 100000 mainly motorway miles. It has now done 163000 miles with oil and filter change every 10000 miles plus air filter every 20000. In the time I have owned the car it has never required anything other than routine maintenance from my local independent garage at half MB cost. Never had anything replaced apart from tyres brake pads and discs as you would in any normal car. Have I just got a good one or is everything about to fall to bits all at once rendering the car worthless??

Mercedes E320CDI - 163000 miles and No Problems Is this a record? - oldroverboy.
Have I just got a good one or is everything about to fall to bits all at once rendering the car worthless??

Like gordonbennet, you are lucky, you have a good indie, and you maintain the vehicle, but a merc illess (get the pun) dealer you would have been hammered and probably"found" a problem and told with a major repir that the car was worthless now. just buy a new one guv...

Mercedes E320CDI - 163000 miles and No Problems Is this a record? - jc2

I've had a Sierra and a Fiesta easily better that and a Panda as well.It's the short,slow journeys that kill them!

Edited by jc2 on 19/06/2014 at 08:47

Mercedes E320CDI - 163000 miles and No Problems Is this a record? - Fernando P

No - this is not as record. I know that Berlin MB diesel taxis routinely do 600K kilometers (360k miles) and there is a ready private market for them afterwards. I met a MB owner in an hotel near Bonn who told me that the car (diesel) had done 400k kilometers (240k miles) and a lot more was expected. The view is that you pay more for MBs and the parts etc but the "quality" is good. I neither own or have driven one one btw.

Mercedes E320CDI - 163000 miles and No Problems Is this a record? - Manatee

No - this is not as record. I know that Berlin MB diesel taxis routinely do 600K kilometers (360k miles) and there is a ready private market for them afterwards. I met a MB owner in an hotel near Bonn who told me that the car (diesel) had done 400k kilometers (240k miles) and a lot more was expected. The view is that you pay more for MBs and the parts etc but the "quality" is good. I neither own or have driven one one btw.

I have no idea whether it still applies, but years ago I was told that MB's prescribed maintenance regime included far more in the way of scheduled replacement of components than other marques, to the extent that at 10 years old many of the wearing parts had been replaced anyway (at considerable cost in 'servicing').

I don't offer that up as fact, it would be interesting to hear whether there was ever any truth in it.

I'd be very pleased to have done 163,000 without any problems on a modern diesel, so well done to the OP anyway!

Mercedes E320CDI - 163000 miles and No Problems Is this a record? - Avant

Nice to have you back, Manatee!

I'm sure regular component replacements will have helped, and in particular the 10,000 mile oil and filter changes that the OP has very sensibly stuck to, even though he's doing a highish annual mileage.

Edited by Avant on 19/06/2014 at 13:10

Mercedes E320CDI - 163000 miles and No Problems Is this a record? - Andrew-T

I know that Berlin MB diesel taxis routinely do 600K kilometers (360k miles) and there is a ready private market for them afterwards. I met a MB owner in an hotel near Bonn who told me that the car (diesel) had done 400k kilometers (240k miles) and a lot more was expected.

Quite a few years ago we visited the Azores, where taxis were pensioned-off Mercs from the mainland. We travelled in one whose odo had failed at 560K km, but the rest of the car seemed to be working OK.

Mercedes E320CDI - 163000 miles and No Problems Is this a record? - John F
it has never required anything other than routine maintenance.......

This is the key point. Any post-1990 car can do starship mileage if failed parts are replaced. Do we believe the OP? One can 'forget' unpleasant bills like a CVJ boot replacement here, a corroded brake pipe there, or a seized caliper etc unless one keeps accurate records.

Mercedes E320CDI - 163000 miles and No Problems Is this a record? - Manatee
One can 'forget' unpleasant bills like a CVJ boot replacement here, a corrodedbrake pipe there, or a seized caliper etc unless one keeps accurate records.

Ha ha, yes.

In a past life I knew a man who had had an extremely troublesome XJ6. So bad in fact that they eventually gave him a 'deal' on a new one to get him out of it.

Some time later I saw him and asked how the new car was.

"Fantastic, No trouble at all. Bit of a whine from the axle, so they replaced that, and it's had a new gearbox too.

"But apart from little niggles that you can get with anything, it's been great!"

Not suggesting that applies here of course.

Mercedes E320CDI - 163000 miles and No Problems Is this a record? - timbo123
Just looked through my fat file of service records and no there are no other bills at all apart from the routine servicing already described. Even the aircon blows ice cold and has never been re gassed. I suspect this is because I run it all the time winter and summer alike
Mercedes E320CDI - 163000 miles and No Problems Is this a record? - barney100

Just run of the mill for a big Merc, they are hammered as taxis all over the world, taxi firms don't choose them for no reason.

Mercedes E320CDI - 163000 miles and No Problems Is this a record? - John F

Just run of the mill for a big Merc, .......

This sort of mileage in 'run of the mill' for any car these days, as long as it is looked after. I have done a fair bit of travelling in Europe in the last few years and very few taxis are now Mercs, especially outside Germany. They are mostly from the VW stable [usually Skodas], or Japanese.

Mercedes E320CDI - 163000 miles and No Problems Is this a record? - AlexT

Here most taxis are Dacia Logan în bucharest, outside of Bucharest there are other brands like chevrolet spark because the logan is considered too expensive, and în Transilvania they mostly use Vw, since they can get them cheaply from Germany and then pay the tax. Transilvanians have an obsession with Vw golf for some reason....

Mercedes E320CDI - 163000 miles and No Problems Is this a record? - barney100

Interesting about the taxi business. I've seen lots of Merc taxis on Madeira and Rhodes and even Eastbourne. Apparently the German MOT is much tougher than ours and a mate of mine got aGerman 'Fail' and ran it over here for a while. I am told many of theses cars end up in Russia.

Mercedes E320CDI - 163000 miles and No Problems Is this a record? - privateinvestor

sounds like its just run in, these cars if looked after can do 300-500k, regular oil change, allow turbo to cool down after a long run, change coolant with fresh ant i freeze should see it last the distance

Mercedes E320CDI - 163000 miles and No Problems Is this a record? - Ordovices

Got in a cab last night that was a VW Touran diesel, 233,000 on the clock, it could easily get up to 60 through a housing estate and sounded fine.

No knowing what work had been done in the past, we all know how rubbish VWs are, makes you wonder why someone who relies on his car for his income would choose one.