Toyota corolla verso or ford focus cmax? - Spatacus
Hi,

Am thinking of buying a family MVP 2003 Toyota corolla verso or ford focus cmax.

Any suggestions or advise will be appreciated.

Thanx
Toyota corolla verso or ford focus cmax? - Avant

If you're buying a car of this age condition matters much more than make or model. That said, Toyotas soldier on and on and if you can find one that's got some service history and appears to have been properly looked after, it should still have some life in it.

Go for petrol rather than diesel.

Edited by Avant on 12/06/2014 at 23:56

Toyota corolla verso or ford focus cmax? - Auristocrat

Just be aware that the Corolla Verso that was imported up to 2003 was a different, smaller model.

The Corolla Verso that was produced from 2004 to 2009, was designed for Europe and was larger and more practical.

Also have a look at the Mazda Premacy and Nissan Almera Tino.

Edited by Auristocrat on 13/06/2014 at 00:44

Toyota corolla verso or ford focus cmax? - Spatacus
Thanx for the reply,do the 2002-2003 versos also use a lot of oil?
Toyota corolla verso or ford focus cmax? - Happy Blue!

As a model unlikely but you are looking at 11 year old cars. Buy on condition not brand. You may find a perfect C-Max and a wreck of a Verso. Don't go blinkered into the marketplace.

Toyota corolla verso or ford focus cmax? - gordonbennet

Research Focus carefully, there's one particular gearbox to avoid like the plague, though i expect nearly all fitted with that box will have been scrapped long ago.

I believe its the CVT box fitted with 1.6 Diesel models, but unsure what years are involved.

Toyota corolla verso or ford focus cmax? - skidpan

We had a 2005 Focus C-Max 1.6 TDCi for 5 years. In that time all it had was an annual service, MOT, tyres and an alternator belt. Probably the cheapest car to run we have ever owned. Never let us down. Superb drive for a tall(ish) car with a comfy ride and plenty of space for 5 people and a sensible amount of luggage.

When we changed we tried a Toyota Verso. It was a horrid wallowy drive and the 2.0 litre diesel was very little (if any) quicker than the 1.6 in the C-Max.

Considering that the Verso we tried was the much improved one compared to the earlier Corrolla Verso you are considering I would hate to imagine how one of those drives.

If it was me I would only consider the C-Max but at that age I would look for a 1.8 petrol. When we bought ours we tried the 1.6 petrol, the 1.8 petrol, the 1.6 diesel and the 1.8 diesel. Forget the 1.6 petrol, even the more powerful version was a slug and in the real world has poor fuel consumption. The 1.8 petrol was much better, really good drive. Of the diesels the 1.6 was easily the best engine, the 1.8 was no quicker but was incredibly noisy and unrefined.

It was a toss up between the 1.6 TDCia nd 1.8 petrol and the 1.6 TDCi just won because of projected fuel costs.