Nissan Micra K12 - Nissan Micra engine misfiring - John25

Hi, I have a Nissan Micra K12 2007 (35,000 miles) which has recently been off road. When I start the car on cold, after a few seconds the engine warning light comes on. It is misfiring badly, with noise from the exhaust. When it gets warm the rev counter goes to 10, from 12 previously, and the car revs up, by itself without touching the accelerator, to 20 revs then back to 10. When it is revved to 4 or 5K and kept steady, there is still misfiring. There is no smell or smoke from the exhaust. I have checked the spark plugs – they look good – and I have cleaned them. I have cleaned inside the throttle body which opens and closes. Please can anyone offer help/advice. Many thanks

Nissan Micra K12 - Nissan Micra engine misfiring - bathtub tom

I suggest you get the codes read. That could cost around fifty quid at a garage, or you can buy code readers from three quid at that well known auction site.

That'll give you an idea as to where to start looking.

Nissan Micra K12 - Nissan Micra engine misfiring - John25

I suggest you get the codes read. That could cost around fifty quid at a garage, or you can buy code readers from three quid at that well known auction site.

That'll give you an idea as to where to start looking.

Hi, I purchased a code reader - it gave me PO335 - crank shaft sensor. I replaced it with a new one, but still the same problem remains - the code reader now gives me P1171. Can you help please - as the car is off road, I cannot take it to any garage, or for a test drive. Many thanks.

Nissan Micra K12 - Nissan Micra engine misfiring - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

This has got to be the infamous Nissan Micra K12 stretched timing chain - the subject of countless threads on this forum and all over the t'Internet.

As the chain stretches (what ever happened to Reynold's Chains?) it's going to put the crankshaft far enough out of position to cause the 'Crankshaft Position Sensor' fault, according to posts on some of those forums.

So the majority opinion out there seems to be to fit a new timing chain. I wonder if soaking the new chain in melted wax lubricant like I used to do with my bicycle chain would help? We used to buy a large round tin of solid wax chain lubricant which we melted on the cooker and soaked the chain in it for a few minutes.

If they are going to fit chains instead of belts, then in my humble opinion, a chain should be made to last the life of the car, not fail sooner than a belt! Even on the old Minis, we used to change the chain for a duplex one. Time someone produced a duplex conversion for the Micra!

Nissan Micra K12 - Nissan Micra engine misfiring - bathtub tom

May not be the cam chain, see: www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=nissan_dtc_...1

Could be worthy of further investigation before you go to the expense of replacing the chain.

Nissan Micra K12 - Nissan Micra engine misfiring - focussed

I wonder if soaking the new chain in melted wax lubricant like I used to do with my bicycle chain would help? We used to buy a large round tin of solid wax chain lubricant which we melted on the cooker and soaked the chain in it for a few minutes.

I had to laugh at that one-the old trick of boiling the chain up in Lynklife and getting a telling-off from your mum because of the smell and the mess!

As the chain is inside the engine casing of the Micra enginesplashed with hot oil I would think the Lynklife would be melted out of the chain in about 10 minutes.