astra design 53 plate - transmission / gear oil change - lorraine Marie

Can any one advise on changing the gear oil in my astra, I have had trouble with the gears sticking and locking in 4th gear , we emptied the oil from underneath yesterday and it looked really bad, we think it has been contaminated by the coolant, which was a problem with these models. the oil was orangy brown so i guessed it hadnt been changed for quite some years as i bought it second hand.

now its empty , or hopefully so, we are going to fill it again, if anyone knows how much oil has to go in or has any other comments that would be fantastic.

thanks xx

astra design 53 plate - transmission / gear oil change - Wackyracer

I'm guessing by the comment about coolant, that this car is an automatic? Best get the problem with the radiator fixed first!

With autoboxes it is not possible to fully drain them just from the drain plug as there will still be a large quantity of transmission fluid in the torque converter.

astra design 53 plate - transmission / gear oil change - gordonbennet

As above.

It is possible to drain and refill the system simultaneously, one bucket of clean fluid piped in, one bucket to collect the old piped out, its usually done with the engine running via the inlet and outlet transmission pipes where the enter and exit the bottom of the radiator.

Not a job for the faint hearted, and it will probably need several changes to completely remove the coolant.

Depending on how long the coolant has been in the gearbox will determine how long the gearbox will live after this, so get an experts opinion before spending any money at all on this gearbox..