VW Golf 1.4 TSI 2010 - Piston Block Damage - johnt71
My car has covered 36k from new. I had a misfire on Cylinder 1 which was first diagnosed as a coil pack. When this was changed it did not fix it so a compression test revealed there was a deeper problem. With the head off the piston had a piece missing from the top which looked like it had melted. Unfortunately this appears to have scarred the lining of the block. The independent garage have said I will need a replacement engine as the thickness of the block will not allow any rebore. I trust the garage and have inspected the engine. My beef is with VW , this is a DSG model and has not been thrashed by me since new. Will I have any claim against VW that you know off and is this a known problem? Thank you
VW Golf 1.4 TSI 2010 - Piston Block Damage - craig-pd130

Sorry to hear about your woes. If the car has a full VW service history from new then it's worth trying for a goodwill contribution, as a part-melted piston shouldn't happen in a car with electronic ignition, injection and anti-knock sensors etc.

If the car doesn't have a full VW history, I'd say you'd have next to no chance of any goodwill. It's simply the way car manufacturers are.

VW Golf 1.4 TSI 2010 - Piston Block Damage - Peter.N.

How badly scored is the bore? If its only the surface that's damaged you might get away with just a new piston.

VW Golf 1.4 TSI 2010 - Piston Block Damage - injection doc
I would contact VW as the pistons have been notorious for failing on these engines !

If the bore is heavily scored then an engineer can line bore and sleeve and the machine the bore back to a standard piston size, so shouldn't need a new block!
Thanks but the garage have said that the walls of the block are too thin for a rebore. Option of new block and extra labour or a recon engine. I'm pursuing the original dealer where I bought the car from new in the hope of some goodwill
It would seem deeply enough to be beyond repairing. The walls of the block look too thin to machine/ rebore. Thanks for your reply
First 3 years with VW of course but one major service in year 4 with an independent. It's with the independent one now in bits and I'm speaking to VW re a way forward. I'll be looking at consumer law re "fit for purpose" unless a reasonable goodwill gesture is made. Thanks for your reply