ford fiesta 2004 1.4 tdci - Broken Dipstick - how much oil needed? - tired-boy

I am still waiting for my replacement dipstick so cant accurately measure oil level. How much oil do i need in my 2004 1.4 tdci as its getting an oil change tomorrow? I have a 4l can but know it doesnt need that much

ford fiesta 2004 1.4 tdci - Broken Dipstick - how much oil needed? - bathtub tom

3.8L according to this website: www.commaoil.com/products/results/91010331

ford fiesta 2004 1.4 tdci - Broken Dipstick - how much oil needed? - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

The 1.4 Tdci takes just about 4 litres. You need to buy your oil in 5L containers. This gives a bit left over for topping up until next oil change. Difficult to say just how much to put in without a dip-stick, as you can not empty the bottom of the sump, because the drain plug is recessed up into the sump. Don't overfill it! The mildest problem you get with overfilling is that the EGR valve clags up.

I note Bathtub Tom's post and Comma Oil does say 3.8 Litres, but I've been doing oil changes twice a year for the past 8 years and it always takes just a bit over 4L! I shall go out now and read the handbook and see what that says!

How the Hecky Thump did the dip-stick break? It's just flexible plastic. Can you not get one from a scrap yard? Any scrap 1.4 Tdci from 2002 to 2006 will do...

Edited by MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom on 28/05/2014 at 10:07

ford fiesta 2004 1.4 tdci - Broken Dipstick - how much oil needed? - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Er, yes. It says 3.8L in the handbook...

OK, I wondered why I always seem to have a lot left over...

Interesting fact - The hexagon size of the oil filter housing has been chosen to be one of those sizes where a metric or an Imperial socket will fit - 27mm or 1 1/16". The drain plug can be removed with a socket for 14mm spark plugs. So you can do the job whether you have an Imperial tool kit or metric.

ford fiesta 2004 1.4 tdci - Broken Dipstick - how much oil needed? - MykiMyk

Mine broke too leaving the gauge part stuck inside dip tube. Requires sump off and removal of combined oil strainer-low dip tube to get it out. That's plastic for you!

ford fiesta 2004 1.4 tdci - Broken Dipstick - how much oil needed? - edlithgow

I'd wait. Seems quite unlikely your need for an oil change is urgent.

Er...unless you've got bits of ground-up dipstick circulating in your engine.