Saab 9-5 2.0t Petrol 1999 - Head Gasket Change - stuartl

I have just lost my company vehicle and needed a cheap car.

I have bought a 9-5 with 'a head gasket that is going'.

I intend to do a block test and a leakdown test to verify exactly what the issue is.

My question is, are these hg's relatively straightford to change?

I've done a few before but wondered if the Saab would throw up any unusual challenges?

Many Thanks as always for any replies

Stuart

Saab 9-5 2.0t Petrol 1999 - Head Gasket Change - 659FBE

As a one time SAAB enthusiast (pre-GM) I have done many jobs on these cars.

I realise that your vehicle is a GM product, but I'm unsure which engine a '99 SAAB-badged GM would have had - I abandoned SAAB completely when GM swaggered in.

If your vehicle has a derivative of the SAAB "H" type engine, having done this job in the past, I can advise that head removal is straightforward and made easy by SAAB's use of high quality fasteners and components. For instance, the downpipe nuts on my car were solid stainless steel and unscrewed easily from the rusty manifold studs. GM accountants would never have condoned this, of course...

To prevent the timimg chain from falling off the lower sprocket, I wrapped a car sponge in a polythene bag, and placed this in the centre of the chain run before removing the camshaft sprockets. A cable tie around the chain above the sponge then kept the chain in position until re-assembly.

The Swedish engines are a pleasure to work on.

Thanks 659. I had no idea GM were involved with Saab! Never even driven one before but this looks a lovely car, hoping it will be a good buy but for what I paid for it I'm sure I could just double my money by putting it back on ebay.

Hoping that wont be the case though!

Stuart

Saab 9-5 2.0t Petrol 1999 - Head Gasket Change - jc2

They used Ford engines at one time too-in fact,many of their rally sucesses were with Ford engines.

Saab 9-5 2.0t Petrol 1999 - Head Gasket Change - pd

A 1999 9-5 will have a Saab engine. In fact, the 2.0 and 2.3 in the 9-5 continued to have the same Saab engine right to the end of production in 2009.

The 2002-2011 9-3 uses GM derived engines.

Saab 9-5 2.0t Petrol 1999 - Head Gasket Change - bathtub tom

Didn't they suffer porous head and manifold water leak problems around that time?

Either would give similar symptoms to a failed head gasket. A sniff test may be worthwhile to prevent wasting time.

Thanks very much for all the replies.

I have to say it's an amazing spec car, about the only thing it doesn't have is a Flux Capacitor!

It certainly is showing some mayo on the bottom of the dipstick but nothing on oil filler cap although there are signs of a white discharge around the header tank.

I think I will whip the head off and get it skimmed and pressure tested.

If I do this is it worth me doing a leakdown test first before I start dismantling? I haven't got the kit to do it so would mean calling in my trusted mobile spanner man but I guess its better to find out earlier if the engine has a problem lower down. In saying that it sounds very sweet...

Didn't they suffer porous head and manifold water leak problems around that time?

Either would give similar symptoms to a failed head gasket. A sniff test may be worthwhile to prevent wasting time.

Tom, Sorry I seemed to overlook your post as above. I was going to skip the block test but not sure now.

Are you able to give me any more details of the head and manifold problems that you mentioned?

Thanks

Stuart

Saab 9-5 2.0t Petrol 1999 - Head Gasket Change - bathtub tom

Sorry, been away for a couple of days.

A colleague had one of similar vintage to yours that appeared to have head gasket problems. Research threw up the porous head and manifold problems.

His had a porous head!

Hi Tom, Thanks for the reply.

I have started dismantling the top end so will take a look once the head i off and let you know my findings! Sorry if it sounds a silly question but I assume if the head is porous it's scrap? Would this be evident from a pressure test?

I have also found that the link rod from the wastegate wasn't attached as the arm it attaches to had snapped off.

Happy Days!