Ford Fiesta Zetec - 100PS torque/ speed curve - plonker2

I am a retired chartered engineer thinking about buying a nearly new Fiesta Zetec and it would be interesting to have the torque curve for the new engine.

I would also, of course, be very interested to have comments about this engine.

Ford Fiesta Zetec - 100PS torque/ speed curve - thunderbird

Seeing a curve on paper may be interesting but driving the car is a far better way to assess its suitability. No diagram will show you any flatspots or other problems that the manufacturer has been unable to map out.

Get a decent test drive and make you mind up based on that.

Yeah, I take your point but having a fairly technical background it'll be interesting to play about with some tech. info.

Ford Fiesta Zetec - 100PS torque/ speed curve - jc2

Try "Power Products" at Ford or,possibly,Perrys of Potters Bar.They both sell engines on their own and may have curves available.

Many thanks jc2, I'll do that.

Ford are being very coy!

I got a reply to my request for a torque curve from Ford Technical Information Centre - not available! (perhaps the guy meant just not available to me!).

The only information I got was 170 Nm from 1500 to 4000 rpm which just makes me more interested in getting some more info.

Curiously these values don't agree with the bluefin graph which was mentioned earlier.

Ford Fiesta Zetec - 100PS torque/ speed curve - AndyT

Go to mybluefin website, they have the power curve on there.

Thanks AndyT, got it!

Hi Andy again.

Got the graph from that website but oddly it didn't show 170 Nm at 1500 rpm which Ford claim.

Ford Fiesta Zetec - 100PS torque/ speed curve - craig-pd130

According to Car Magazine it has a flat torque spread of 125lb-ft from 1400 to 4000rpm, with peak power at 6000rpm.

Using the old HP = torque x rpm / 5252 equation, at 4000rpm it's making nearly 96hp, which means there's little to be gained by revving it onto peak power: the engine's done most of its best work. Using the equation the other way, the torque also falls off relatively gently as it's still making around 87ft-lb at the peak power rpm.

Thanks craig