Mazda MX-5 - Deeply Flattened Car Battery, Revival Techniques ? - Firmbutfair

My Brother in Law has owned a 1.8 litre Mazda MX-5 since new, first reg 2005 but the original Panasonic Gel Battery has become so deeply discharged that none of the usual battery revival techniques seem to be effective. The car is left for weeks at a time unused with the alarm armed and as a result the battery becomes deeply discharged. He bought a set of new tyres for it last August and had to get a push start from a pasing Rugby Player when it stalled on the way home and would not restart due to severe chronic battery capacity/output depletion. Since then the car has only been started and driven once (by using jumper leads from a good battery) for about 20 miles, just a few weeks ago after many months of neglect and then more recently trickle charging for more than three weeks (at about half an amp) alternating with normal charging at about 3 to 4 amps. The 'settled open circuit voltage' is always a healthy 12.6 to 12.8 volts but as soon as you apply a load to it, even just sidelights, the voltage falls to below 12 volts and attempting to engage the starter motor/solenoid just results in a rapid clicking noise, at the best, and battery volts falling to below 8 volts, even just on full beam headlamps with the engine not running. Everything else electrics wise seems to be ok and once 'started on the jump leads' the engine ran smoothly and battery volts stabilised at around 14.8 volts with the alternator keeping things all hunky dory!

Does anyone know how to 'disolve or disperse' the heavy sulphation in the honeycomb lead matrix inside this relatively young battery (Owners say that used daily, these batteries can last for over 15 years) to release the full surface area and the associated 200 amps or so necessary to turn the starter motor over?

The local Mazda Dealer has quoted £190 for a replacement battery - which he declined saying that he would like to persevere with trying to 'revive' the original battery. We know that suitable conventional wet plate maintenance free (sealed) batteries can be purchased from LION, VARTA and Yuasa at between £70 to £90 but would like to give the Panasonic one more chance of coming good.

Mazda MX-5 - Deeply Flattened Car Battery, Revival Techniques ? - elekie&a/c doctor

This may do the job;www.tool-net.co.uk/p-355437/sealey-hfc16.html?gcli...Q

Mazda MX-5 - Deeply Flattened Car Battery, Revival Techniques ? - Galaxy

This may do the job;www.tool-net.co.uk/p-355437/sealey-hfc16.html?gcli...Q

Costs more than a new battery!

That original battery is 9 years old. I can't understand why you want to muck about with it. Even if you did successfully manage to revive it, how much longer do you think it would last?!!!

I always buy my batteries in Euro Car Parts (No, I don't work for them!)

Mazda MX-5 - Deeply Flattened Car Battery, Revival Techniques ? - galileo

Adding up the cost of taxing, insuring and fitting new tyres on a car only used occasionally, it is hard to see why a new battery is not the obvious fix?

Mazda MX-5 - Deeply Flattened Car Battery, Revival Techniques ? - Talking Hoarse

My "classic" has a battery that, after being replaced by previous owner, had been allowed to go absolutely flat in several (5 ish) years of starage. When I rescued & resurrected the car the battery wouldnt accept a charge, presumably as sulphated. I did however recover it with a combination of a neighbours motor cycle battery charger - that has a pulse charge setting for sulphated batteries, I also "dropped" the battery a few times sharply onto the garage floor as I had read that this might loosen the sulphatie deposits.

Now resurrected, the battery has survived for 3+ years and holds its charge really well, turns the starter over for ages without flattening etc.

Ed

Mazda MX-5 - Deeply Flattened Car Battery, Revival Techniques ? - Peter.N.

Car batteries are not designed to be 'deep cycled' running one flat and charging it immediately will reduce its life but leaving it in a discharged condition will kill it due to sulphation, bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Mazda MX-5 - Deeply Flattened Car Battery, Revival Techniques ? - Railroad.

Car batteries are not designed to be 'deep cycled' running one flat and charging it immediately will reduce its life but leaving it in a discharged condition will kill it due to sulphation, bite the bullet and buy a new one.

I was just about to say exactly the same. Car batteries are designed to pack a punch. In other words deliver a large amount of power very quickly. They should be kept fully charged at all times otherwise their life expectancy will be seriously reduced.
Mazda MX-5 - Deeply Flattened Car Battery, Revival Techniques ? - Firmbutfair

My "classic" has a battery that, after being replaced by previous owner, had been allowed to go absolutely flat in several (5 ish) years of starage. When I rescued & resurrected the car the battery wouldnt accept a charge, presumably as sulphated. I did however recover it with a combination of a neighbours motor cycle battery charger - that has a pulse charge setting for sulphated batteries, I also "dropped" the battery a few times sharply onto the garage floor as I had read that this might loosen the sulphatie deposits.

Now resurrected, the battery has survived for 3+ years and holds its charge really well, turns the starter over for ages without flattening etc.

Ed

Many thanks Ed, I had not thought of dislodging any 'already loosened and liberated' lead sulphate from the internal honeycomb by dropping the battery, gently, onto the concrete floor of the garage, always assuming I do not 'throw the baby out with the bath water' so to speak, i.e. actually dislodge or damage some of the lead plates in their honeycomb matrix ! However, as many others have rightly and wisely commented, a new replacement battery is the best solution and so I have now, today, finally persuaded my BIL to buy a suitable replacement. The cheapest 'boot tray, terminal and CCA/AH compatible' unit he can find, to date, is priced at just £56 from Fast Fit in Colchester. Finally, my BIL has remembered that he has a new friend who has been 'in the motor/repair trade' since the age of 15 who now owns a similarly aged MX-5, who may be able to inform the final choice ! SORTED - MANY THANKS TO YOU ALL :-)

Mazda MX-5 - Deeply Flattened Car Battery, Revival Techniques ? - slkfanboy

Maybe buy a charger and slow charge the car, when not used. Under no circumstances do so in a garage for safty reasons

Alex