Honda Civic (2008) - Buying car with minor problems, how much to fix? - Archangel

I'm looking at buying a 2008 Honda Civic off a private seller.

Now it's got a scratch on the passenger door, a small dent on the bonnet and the panoramic roof curtain (front) doesn't close.

Any ideas on how much these problems would be to put right?

I've got a quote for £200 for the bonnet (+respray).

Car's list price is £5800 with agreement of taking £200 off for cosmetic damage.

Thanks.

Honda Civic (2008) - Buying car with minor problems, how much to fix? - oldroverboy.

Without knowing the car spec hard to say if it is a good price,

There is a low mileage civic on autotrader for the same money 2011 model from auto trader.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20140427371...p

Be very careful if you are buying privately.

petrol diesel mileage? roof curtain best to ask a dealer before for an approximate price

Honda Civic (2008) - Buying car with minor problems, how much to fix? - Archangel

Thank you for your reply.

This is the car I am looking at: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20140426369...p

The one you have linked looks very appealing but is a CAT D write off and I have been advised to stay away from them.

The Honda dealership said they charge £50 to diagnose the problem and then it could be up to £500 to repair with the 2 possible components and labour costs.

I am more cautious about buying from dealers than privately. I've found most dealers are crooks trying to flog junk.

Edited by Archangel on 06/05/2014 at 14:50

Honda Civic (2008) - Buying car with minor problems, how much to fix? - madf

My experience of private sellers is that if they cannot afford to fix the obvious faults, there will be others as well.

I'd run away or ask for £2k off.

I see it is descibed as "excellent condition".. Lying toerag then.

Edited by madf on 06/05/2014 at 18:01

We went to see the car last night, looked good aside from the mentioned issues, but I'm no mechanic. The owner seemed very legit. Spent around £250/yr during services to get stuff done.

So I don't know. Guess I'll have to just keep looking...

Honda Civic (2008) - Buying car with minor problems, how much to fix? - Galaxy

My experience of private sellers is that if they cannot afford to fix the obvious faults, there will be others as well.

I'd run away or ask for £2k off.

I see it is descibed as "excellent condition".. Lying toerag then.

Yes, I agree 100%

On a car that new and of that price I wouldn't expect to be able to see any visable signs of damage whatsoever, either trade or private. If I could see signs then I would immediately start to think about parts of the car I couldn't see and wonder what condition they were in.

Yes, definitely one to walk away from.

Honda Civic (2008) - Buying car with minor problems, how much to fix? - oldroverboy.

Apologies, did not notice "cat" D, but if you are in nw9 nip down to cargiant..... ( your postcode shows in the search)

I might nip down to Car Giant tonight. But last I looked, the prices seem to start around the £6500 mark, a little out of my budget. Although not having to worry about issues is reassuring and I guess that's why so many people go to them, it's always busy there.

Honda Civic (2008) - Buying car with minor problems, how much to fix? - Bolt

Almost the same colour as mine magnet grey,the 1.8 although great unit is not that good on fuel around 24 32 mpg in town,so if you want economy go for 1.4 or diesel which I have apart from that great car imo