Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.5 or 1.0 ecoboost - david7108

Buying a fiesta for my mother she has driven the 1.0 ecoboost 100bhp & the 1.5 tdci and likes them both. There is only about £250 difference in price new. Any owners of either models on here? She does about 6k miles a year so doesnt need a diesel but if the price difference is minimal then worth considering. Do the ecoboosts get close to the mpg stated by Ford?

thanks

Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.5 or 1.0 ecoboost - GBP1705

I bought a Focus 1.0 Ecoboost last year, only ususally use it for pottering around town and short journey's and was getting approx 35mpg, I have done recently 3 trips to London which is a round trip of 900 miles and on these was averaging 45mpg, I have done 7000 miles so far including the trips to London so I don't envisage getting anywhere near th empg stated by Ford but well pleased with the car ;)

Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.5 or 1.0 ecoboost - Avant

Wuth all the scare stories about diesel pollution, and also the expensive components of diesel engines that go wrong after a few years, I think that the days of diesels holding their value better than the equivalent petrols are numbered.

In your mum's position I'd go for the comparative refinement of the 1.0 petrol. Neither petrol nor diesel will match the mpg figures from the Government or the manufacturers, but unless she's a very fast driver she should find the 1.0 quite lively enough.

Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.5 or 1.0 ecoboost - Cyd

For that sort of low miles and short trips, stick to the petrol. No DMF or DPF to worry about, and on short trips the petrol will warm up quicker (nice in the winter).

Under these driving conditions you'll never get anywhere near the manufacturers figures, no matter what car you buy.

And anyway, even if you drove like a Monk, you'd be lucky to match official figures anyways. They are obtained in a laboratory, not on the road.

With a turbo car, be sure to let it idle for 20 seconds after starting and before shutting down. Good practice for any engine, but especially turbo bearings.

Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.5 or 1.0 ecoboost - jc2

!.24(82PS) gasoline is the best.

Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.5 or 1.0 ecoboost - thunderbird

I don't envisage getting anywhere near the mpg stated by Ford

The following has been said by myself and countless others on this and other forums. Ford (or any other manufacturer) do not state the mpg figures you should expect. The figures quotes are the official ones (along with the CO figure) that only have relevance for comparing with other cars or calculating company car tax. All manufactures havce to qute these figures by law, to do otherwise would lead to a prosecution. If people could be bothered to read the brochures it clearly says this after the figures but all they see is the figures, think great and are then disapointed.

With a turbo car, be sure to let it idle for 20 seconds after starting and before shutting down. Good practice for any engine, but especially turbo bearings

Been driving turbo cars (petrol and diesel) now for 20 years. In that time I have never sat with the engine idling before switching it off and have never had a turbo problem. That advice is only relevant to racing/rally cars where the turbos and engines are put under much greater load. If you drive on the public roads in a manner that gets the turbo that hot you need jailing for a very long time. Won't do any harm but totally pointless and if it was really hot 20 seconds would achive nothing.

Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.5 or 1.0 ecoboost - madf

shutting down. Good practice for any engine, but especially turbo bearings

Been driving turbo cars (petrol and diesel) now for 20 years. In that time I have never sat with the engine idling before switching it off and have never had a turbo problem. That advice is only relevant to racing/rally cars where the turbos and engines are put under much greater load. If you drive on the public roads in a manner that gets the turbo that hot you need jailing for a very long time. Won't do any harm but totally pointless and if it was really hot 20 seconds would achive nothing.

You have obviously never driven up a Scottish mountain or in the Alps... I have seen red hot turbos at the top...

Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.5 or 1.0 ecoboost - galileo

In recent years watercooled bearing housings have been a common design feature for some top quality turbos and a short idle after full power running is advised if not included.

Possibly not necessary but given the problems carbonised bearings and seals would cost why not?

Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.5 or 1.0 ecoboost - artill

I don't envisage getting anywhere near the mpg stated by Ford

The following has been said by myself and countless others on this and other forums. Ford (or any other manufacturer) do not state the mpg figures you should expect. The figures quotes are the official ones (along with the CO figure) that only have relevance for comparing with other cars or calculating company car tax.

I disagree. You should never use the official figures for comparing cars. Some get very close to the EU figure, some get nearer to half (Fiat twinair?). The only thing the official figures tell you is how much tax you will pay

Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.5 or 1.0 ecoboost - SteveLee

For that sort of low miles and short trips, stick to the petrol. No DMF or DPF to worry about, and on short trips the petrol will warm up quicker (nice in the winter).

Under these driving conditions you'll never get anywhere near the manufacturers figures, no matter what car you buy.

And anyway, even if you drove like a Monk, you'd be lucky to match official figures anyways. They are obtained in a laboratory, not on the road.

With a turbo car, be sure to let it idle for 20 seconds after starting and before shutting down. Good practice for any engine, but especially turbo bearings.

And how would you do that? The engine would shutdown automatically (stop start system) as soon as it finds itself idling in neutral.

I do agree that for this sort of motoring the diesel should be avoided.

Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.5 or 1.0 ecoboost - KenC

Forget about the "Claimed MPG Figures " they will never be achieved during normal driving conditions because of the tricks that manufactures get up to during the Official MPG tests.

eg winding the brakes off so the discs are friction free

eg no spare tyre to save weight

eg only one gallon of fuel to save weight

eg taping over all the gaps between the various panels with tape to minimise drag

eg folding the mirrors back & removing the aerial to reduce drag

eg low rolling resistance tyres that are over inflated

My advice is if you want a Fiesta stick with the well proven 1.25cc 82bhp standard engine which is still available in the Style or Zeetec Models. It suits the weight of the car and performs adequately.

Avoid the alloy wheel options as the Ford Fiesta wheels are prone to cracking & collapsing. ( google the subject and you will find out )

You clearly have no idea where the test takes place and the rules. Lets take your points one by one:

It is not possible to wind off disc brakes (as used on at least the fornt of all current cars) like you could old manual drums. Even if the pistons were pushed back as soon as they were applied during the test they would be back in their normal operating position until pushed back again

The car is tested in a lab so the actual weight makes no difference

See above

eg taping over all the gaps between the various panels with tape to minimise drag

Since the car is tested stationary in a lab there is no wind resistance thus no point in wasting time taping joints.

See above

Why would a manufacturer fit low rolling resistance tyres to any model in the range other than the eco models that have them as standard. If they did improve the figures the eco modle would not have the supposed advantage they give. As regards inflation pressure if one manufacturer did it they all would so where would the advantage be gained.

You have either been listening to a bar room expert or have no idea of how the tests are carried out. If they did take place on the public roads all your points except the first and last would be valid.but in a lab it would malke no difference whatsoever.

Suggest you Goggle the EU Test proceedure and learn a little more about it.

Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.5 or 1.0 ecoboost - RobJP

You clearly have no idea where the test takes place and the rules. Lets take your points one by one:

It is not possible to wind off disc brakes (as used on at least the fornt of all current cars) like you could old manual drums. Even if the pistons were pushed back as soon as they were applied during the test they would be back in their normal operating position until pushed back again

The car is tested in a lab so the actual weight makes no difference

See above

Since the car is tested stationary in a lab there is no wind resistance thus no point in wasting time taping joints.

See above

Why would a manufacturer fit low rolling resistance tyres to any model in the range other than the eco models that have them as standard. If they did improve the figures the eco modle would not have the supposed advantage they give. As regards inflation pressure if one manufacturer did it they all would so where would the advantage be gained.

You have either been listening to a bar room expert or have no idea of how the tests are carried out. If they did take place on the public roads all your points except the first and last would be valid.but in a lab it would malke no difference whatsoever.

Suggest you Goggle the EU Test proceedure and learn a little more about it.

And I would suggest that you learn a little bit about a subject before being quite so condescending - especially when you are wrong.

While the tests may be carried out in labs, they are based on the 'Road load curve' which the manufacturer establishes beforehand. The road load curve figures are what are prone to 'gaming' for want of a better word. The lower those figures, the lower the figures that are inputted into the computers for the lab tests, and the lower the figures that come out at the end.

Fancy trying again ?

"Fancy trying again ?"

Please don't. This isn't the point of the thread, which is about helping the OP with the choice of engines in a Fiesta.

"Fancy trying again ?"

Please don't. This isn't the point of the thread, which is about helping the OP with the choice of engines in a Fiesta.

My apologies.

KenC had posted an entirely valid explanation as to (some of) the reasons why the 'official' fuel consumption figures are so out of kilter, and the response that was made to him by Thunderbird was (to me) a bit out of order. If one reply can suggest that someone uses google to get their facts right (and not get picked up by the mods for it), then what's good for the goose is good for the gander, in my opinion. Or maybe getting picked up by mods for a post is more about how loud someone bleats. I don't know.

Regarding the choice of engines for the OP, I'd suggest that for 6k miles a year, a diesel is probably NOT the way to go, though it does depend on what sort of driving is being done. If it's town/city driving, then the DPF could well end up getting clogged within a year or two. If the driving involves a fair bit of motorway/dual carriageway journeys, then it may be more suitable.

KenC had posted an entirely valid explanation as to (some of) the reasons why the 'official' fuel consumption figures are so out of kilter, and the response that was made to him by Thunderbird was (to me) a bit out of order.

I for one am quite happy with the current official MPG system. When I buy a car I take 20% off the figures and normally that is pretty much what I get. I also look that the Honest john figures but tend to take them with a pinch of salt sine it is clear from the low andd high figures that some (if not all) manufacturers are posting nonsense to make them look better. How many owners actually calculate their figures or simply use the dash display which is always optimistic, 5mpg on my current car, 7 mpg on my last one.

If people want to pay their RFL and company car tax based on their actual mpg figures go ahead, I am more than happy paying £30 a year that 5 years ago would have cost me £120 at least.

Edited by Avant on 06/05/2014 at 21:34

A couple of notes for you :

1. Google (surprising as it may seem) is not the font of all knowledge.

2. As Avant pointed out, some posts have nothing to do with the original question asked. I apologised for mine, and posted my thoughts regarding the engine choice. Perhaps you could do likewise, making a constructive post, rather than criticising other posts ?

As Avant pointed out, some posts have nothing to do with the original question asked. I apologised for mine, and posted my thoughts regarding the engine choice. Perhaps you could do likewise, making a constructive post, rather than criticising other posts ?

The original post was about engine choice but the final sentance read

Do the ecoboosts get close to the mpg stated by Ford

which looks very much like a question about fuel consumption.

As far as critisising other posts I will continue to post my view if it differs from other posters views. It is known as having an opinion.

Because of those points I cannot see I have anything to apologise for.

Anyway, thanks to your post we are now well off subject, perhaps you need to apologise again.

"It is known as having an opinion......"

To which you are of course entitled and also welcome to express on ther forum. But you can do it much more effectively without implying that people who disagree with you are stupid (I have deleted your description in your last but one post of someone else's view as a 'load of nonsense').

I suggest readers read this article in todays daily mail and have a good grin !

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2766915/Revealed-...l

I repeat "Buyers Beware" , personally I would only have one of these highly tuned tiny engines unless I won it as a prize ! ( then I,d probaly sell it fast !)

Anyone thinking of buying an eco boost fiesta, please do your research and use the

honest john fuel cost calculator to compare the cheapest fiesta manual eco boost

to the cheapest 82bhp fiesta with the old zeetec engine and you will be staggered to learn

that based on 10,000 miles a year it would only take 12 years to claw back the extra cost of the eco boost........wot a BaRgIN !

Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.5 or 1.0 ecoboost - skidpan

that based on 10,000 miles a year it would only take 12 years to claw back the extra cost of the eco boost........wot a BaRgIN !

Fuel economy is surely only part of the driving experience.

I still occationally drive a 2003 Fiesta with the 1.25 80 PS engine. Its a fine engine but having driven an EcoBoost in a Focus there is simply no comparison. The 1.25 was never a road rocket but the EcoBoost had some really decent get up and go.

Driving only in town the 1.25 would probably be OK but once out of town there would be no comparison.

As most will know I bought a 1.4 Seat Leon TSi last year and simply would not consider changing it for anything else. In actual fact an estate version of the same car is top of the shopping list to rpelace the wifes Kia Ceed. The engine might appear highly tuned for a 1400 (140PS) but in the real world you simply do not have to drive the car hard to keep up with traffic and to overtake there is no need to rev the nuts off it, just a small push on the throttle in any gear and its sorted. I get a genuine 45 mpg out of the car which when adjusted for the pice difference betwen petrol and diesel works out at 47 mpg, exactly the same as I got from my old 143 PS BMW 118D.

Its about time people drove and expereinced these new engines before commenting on them.

Turbo for me everytime.

I hate being right LOL

Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.5 or 1.0 ecoboost - thirts

Have you not considered teh 1.25 (82bhp)? We've just bought a nearly new one and it appears OK.

When buying it I too considered the1.0 ecoboost, but to me I feel that the engine is still unproven and very complex. What will it be like in six years time after thousand of short stop start journeys?

I recently had a problem with the radiaitor in a Focus, which caused the engine to over heat - no damaged was casued as I spotted it early, however I wonder how the turbo on the 1.0 would have managed as that is water cooled and I guess may be more citical to a coolant failure

Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.5 or 1.0 ecoboost - Graham567

I would second the 1.25 engine.My parents have bought this version and are very pleased with it.Also,at the time, it was £850 less than the 1.0.We felt that the 1.25 4 cylinder has been in the fiesta for quite a few years now and has had no major problems but the 1.0 is still too new for any faults to appear.

Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.5 or 1.0 ecoboost - Ben 10
My wife has had her 1.0 for two years. No problems. Great excelleration too.
Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.5 or 1.0 ecoboost - mss1tw

Is this the same 1.25 that was fitted in the mk4/5's? I'd agree, they were great little engines.