Car with new MOT but failure points never fixed. - ForestFire

Hello, Any advice here would be great.

I have just bought a car (cash) from a private seller on ebay. It has a valid MOT for a year which I confirmed on the VOSA website. However I noticed on the MOT history check, a week before it was issued this MOT it had failed a previous test on a number of issues. After driving the car home it is apparent that these faults were never fixed!

What are my options? Or is it a case of buyer beware and I'm stuck with fixing the problems myself?

feel like an idiot for getting suckered in to buying the thing!

thanks

Car with new MOT but failure points never fixed. - RobJP

If the new MOT is valid, then, technically, there is nothing you can do. However, if it is the case that a garage failed the car on an MOT, and those faults were still present when the car was re-MOT'ed, then you MAY have a case.

Note ... you MAY have a case. Quite a few things on the MOT are subjective ... is movement 'excessive' is a classic case. What one tester fails, another might pass.

Also note that sometimes, testers fail cars for items which aren't actually failures in the test. There was a case on here last week where a garage seemed to issue a failure wrongly.

Here is what it failed on. Some of these faults appear in previous MOTs in the cars history as well. None were fixed!!! Seller said the noise from offside was a wheel bearing and I stupidly believed him and was prepared to fix it myself. Even though It sounded really bad and I thought it was a bit extreme for a car just through an MOT. Only noticed the cuts in the tyre after I handed over the cash.

Nearside Headlamp aim too high (1.8)

Offside Headlamp aim beam image obviously incorrect (1.8.A.2)

Offside Front hanger broken Exhaust system not adequately supported (7.1.1)

Nearside Front lower Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)

Offside Rear on sidewall Tyre has a cut in excess of the requirements deep enough to reach the ply or cords (4.1.D.1a)

Offside front brake binding (3.7.A.1)

Offside Front wheel bearing due to brake bind. An item not tested (Manual)

Service brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.A.7)

Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.A.7)

Car with new MOT but failure points never fixed. - oldroverboy.

Seller said the noise from offside was a wheel bearing and I stupidly believed him and was prepared to fix it myself.

Caveat Emptor!

It never ceases to amaze me that someone will buy a car like that. did you see the previous mot,s beforehand?

If the car was dirt cheap and minor faults, ok fix it. Anyway, put it down to experience.

But learn a lesson if there is a next time.

Car with new MOT but failure points never fixed. - RobJP

Caveat Emptor!

It never ceases to amaze me that someone will buy a car like that. did you see the previous mot,s beforehand?

If the car was dirt cheap and minor faults, ok fix it. Anyway, put it down to experience.

But learn a lesson if there is a next time.

Got to agree. Live and learn, put it down to experience.

There was previous MOT pass certificates with the car, but never seen any of the failed certificates, I got all this info from the VOSA mot history check which I done after buying the car when I got home. (I know should of done this before, lessons learnt)

I expected there to be a few bits to do on buying a 10 year old motor and factored that in to what I paid, but if all these failure points have not been fixed it will cost me a bit more than I bargained for.

However should I get in touch with VOSA to report the garage for issuing a MOT certificate when the car was not fit for the road? Do I have any come back for getting the garage to carry out the work needed? at their or sellers cost? I suspect seller has paid the garage a back hander for the passed certificate which is legal because it shows as passed on the VOSA website.

Or do I just have to do all the fixing myself and not report it?

Car with new MOT but failure points never fixed. - tony g
While some of the items are safety related ,none are that difficult or costly to repair ,not excessive corrosion ,dangerous steering etc .

Get the parts repaired at your expense and put this down to experience .then enjoy your car .
Car with new MOT but failure points never fixed. - thunderbird

I have just bought a car (cash) from a private seller on ebay. It has a valid MOT for a year which I confirmed on the VOSA website. However I noticed on the MOT history check, a week before it was issued this MOT it had failed a previous test on a number of issues. After driving the car home it is apparent that these faults were never fixed!

Why did you exepct anything different. People sell cars on E-Bay for one reason only, buyer comes from miles away expecting a bargain, buys a dog and seller hopes never to see then again. E-Bay not interested since buyer paid cash and vehicle matches description. If it does not match description walk (run) away before paying, far better than argueing after.

If you want a decent car don't buy on E-Bay.

Car with new MOT but failure points never fixed. - scot22

My brother in law has bought several cars on Ebay and been very happy with the purchases. They have been good value and only required normal maintenance. There are rogues in any form of car buying. Something different was reasonably expected. The OP has been unfortunate.

You can buy a decent car on Ebay and you can buy a lemon anywhere.