Toyota Celica - Clutch Problem - To replace or not? - MooLatte
Firstly I am new here and I am a female who knows very little about cars so please be gentle.

I have a Toyota Celica VVTI 190 02 plate, my ex husband and I have owned it for the last 7 years and it is a beautiful car, which I love.

The clutch is slipping so looking at having to have it replaced. Quotes are around the £480.00 mark but I'm wondering if this is going to be the start of a money pit?

I'm not in a financial position to buy another car so I would be going car-less but I'm just not sure what to do.

How likely is the rest of the car to need fixing/replacing in the near future just due to wear and tear. It has done 110k miles.

Any advice/opinions welcome please.

Edited by MooLatte on 03/05/2014 at 00:06

Toyota Celica - Clutch Problem - To replace or not? - bazza

Well, first of all it depends very much on the car's history and how it's been serviced. If you've had it for 7 years, I'm assuming it's been serviced regularly and looked after. That being the case, it's probably going to be good for another few years. it's a Toyota, which means it's built to the highest standards, this pays off as it ages, with fewer electrical and mechanical problems likely. However, it has done 110K, which although not a huge mileage and only average for its age, does mean that some components will need replacing as it ages. This applies to all cars regardless. I'm talking of things like discs, suspension components, bushes, etc, none of these are too bad but add to overall running cost. The clutch quotes are reasonable, many cars cost well over £1K these days. it's also done a decent mileage--they are long term consumables and have a finite life. My advice would be to keep, it's a nice car and just get it well serviced once a year at a decent indie. Many people throw perfectly decent cars away at this kind of age/mileage but modern cars are capable of far more, just need to adjust the mindset a bit and accept slightly higher overall servicing costs, far far cheaper than a new car! Good luck --oh and welcome to the forum!

Toyota Celica - Clutch Problem - To replace or not? - MooLatte
Thank you Bazza, your advice is much appreciated.

Yes the car has a full service history. It has been well looked after by both myself and the first owner.