Car advertised with 12 months MOT - only six weeks - sadface

Hi,

Hope someone can advise. I bought a car from a local dealer in March which was advertised on their site and others (including this one) as having 12 months MOT to run. This was also confirmed verbally by the dealer.

On getting a copy of the certificate, it transpires that it runs out in a couple of days and also has some advisory items on it. I have a copy of the advert where the 12 months MOT is mentioned. I would not have bought car if I had known MOT was so short.

Is this false advertising? What are my options? Should dealer MOT and cover cost of any work needed?

Thanks
Car advertised with 12 months MOT - only six weeks - Happy Blue!

Seek a refund and if no response go straight to trading standards.

Edited by Happy Blue! on 02/05/2014 at 04:27

Car advertised with 12 months MOT - only six weeks - 72 dudes

Firstly, I would go back to the dealer with the ad which states 12 months MOT. Be polite but firm and say you would like a new MOT with the advisories taken care of.

If they refuse (and unless they are cowboys, I can't think why they would) tell them the car is "not as described".

If they still come up with some bs reason, then is the time to ask for a refund and approach Trading Standards.

Car advertised with 12 months MOT - only six weeks - Andrew-T

If they refuse (and unless they are cowboys, I can't think why they would) tell them the car is "not as described" ....

.... and that you wish to exchange the first car for the one advertised.

Car advertised with 12 months MOT - only six weeks - sadface
Thank you everyone. I shall approach them with the facts and take it from there.
Car advertised with 12 months MOT - only six weeks - fredthefifth
Best of luck. Get back with how you get on.
Car advertised with 12 months MOT - only six weeks - I'm a Pane

Have you check on VOSA whether there IS actually a 12 MOT on the car and that it was a simple admin error - i.e. the dealer has given you the old certificate rather than the new one?

Car advertised with 12 months MOT - only six weeks - Snakey

Have you check on VOSA whether there IS actually a 12 MOT on the car and that it was a simple admin error - i.e. the dealer has given you the old certificate rather than the new one?

As above -this happened to me. It was only when I double checked the mot at home I realised it was very short. One call to the garage and we realised the current mot was sitting in the salesmans drawer. Simple human error and nothing underhand.