Ford Fusion - Heater Matrix leaking? - NEM

1.6 petrol engine 2003 Fusion. Mists up badly as soon as you turn the heat up past half way. Needs the aircon on all the time. Checked what drain holes and vents I can find and can't see any blocked. No leaks on carpets inside anywhere, all dry. Suspect a small leak on the heater matrix but how hard is it to remove? I see the Fiesta looks quite easy but the access hatch isn't on the Fusion (that I can see). I suspect it might need access from inside the car which will entail pulling the dash apart. All advice greatly apreciated.

NEM

Ford Fusion - Heater Matrix leaking? - elekie&a/c doctor
Replacing the heater matrix on these is a big job.both the complete dash and heater box need to be removed for access.This will also mean the a/c will need degassing ,if fitted.Are you sure it has a leak?usually see traces of antifreeze if a leak is present.
Ford Fusion - Heater Matrix leaking? - bathtub tom

I find coolant has a very distinctive smell. Have a sniff in your expansion tank when it's cool - obviously. Do you get the same smell inside the car?

If it's the coolant, then the level will be dropping in the expansion tank, is it?

Have you done the obvious checks, like replacing the pollen filter and clearing all the detritus (dead leaves, twigs etc.) that collect in the plenum chamber for the heater?