Am I - Fed up of driving - oldroverboy.

Not enjoyed driving in the past 15 months or so,

Couple of "stress" factors healthwise (minor I hasten to add) (but including severe food poisoning) and the utter hell of 2 months in london last year, got my first speeding ticket but allowed to take the speed awareness course, and today, received a fpn for going in a bus lane. Have not disputed, £30 for prompt payment, but wondering if i should just not get a bus pass and let others take the strain. Only problem is tha SWMBO does not "do" public transport. Looking for a house within walking distance of her new job, easier said than done.

Should I take a few lessons or try an advanced or improve my skills driving course.

Yes, I have navigation aids and it warns me of overspeed too, and even without that am pretty careful about my speed.

Am I alone in feeling that motoring is getting to me tougher and tougher?

Edited by oldroverboy. on 25/04/2014 at 21:46

Am I - Fed up of driving - Avant

Even if you live on a bus route, I think you'd still miss the freedom of going where you like when you like. Public transport so often doesn't go where you want to go. You can always take the bus into town and keep the car for going other places.

Maybe your next car needs to be something a bit more fun to drive than a Chevrolet. I'm 65 (so if you're entitled to a bus pass not much older than you) but still love driving. I'd have had a much more sedate version of the Octavia if I didn't.

Are you back in Wales again? If so, there's some wonderful driving if you can get away from the towns.

Thanks Avant, Yes entitled to a bus pass now, but have now landed in Somerset, where youngrovergirl is so much happier in her work. I agree lots of lovely rural roads in wales, and a few nice ones here too.

I think you could be right and something smaller and sportier might be nice, (have been forbidden a motorbike) but whatever needs to be .comfy.

Going to edinburgh soon for a couple of weeks then back for a week, then back again but will let easyjet take the strain from Bristol. Train prices are "plane" stupid!

Am I - Fed up of driving - Gibbo_Wirral

I agree with Avant, you've just had a run of bad luck and bad experiences. I changed jobs and had a nightmare of a commute and it just took all the fun out of motoring, I wouldn't feel like using the car at weekends at all.

But things changed and the commute is now a short 13 mile journey, with the option of a dual carriageway A road, a single carriageway A road, a motorway or half a dozen country lanes.

Have a break from driving for a short period, then as soon as you get a nice day, throw a picnic into the car and head somewhere rural (but not touristy) and you'll realise what you'd miss if you gave it up.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 25/04/2014 at 22:44

Am I - Fed up of driving - bathtub tom

I went through that phase (FPNs).

I walk or cycle for my health when practical. Got a bus pass for when it's raining and use the car when I want.

It works well if you think before leaving!

Am I - Fed up of driving - RobJP

Advanced driving course (or a refresher) is always worthwhile. I regularly do commentary driving on a long journey. My wife complains about that ...

Am I - Fed up of driving - gordonbennet

May i suggest borrowing begging hiring something that sits a bit higher with a nice engine, and the most important of all things, a proper torque converter auto box.

This will probably sound odd but the car that SWMBO and i most enjoyed driving was the 57 plate Hilux 3.0 Diesel auto, we bought it new (the only new vehicle we ever owned) and sold on when no longer needing such a vehicle after 3.5 years, during which time it lost only 25% of its value by the way making ceratin cars with perceived used values look like a dead loss.

That had everything, power when needed, but it was the effortless driving, the instant torque of a 3 litre 4 pot, and the smoothest auto box i've used that compares favourably with our old Benz's box.

OK, i doubt you want something as huge as that, though front and rear parking sensors and a good lock thanks to RWD made manoeuvering a doddle.

Without having to drive aggressively people don't cut vehicles like that up, might be an interesting experiment to try maybe an old Landcruser, another no nonsense which will have the same effect.

I know you usually have new cars ORB, but i suggest at least trying out something a bit more substantial, i suggest you try a Kia Sorento or its sister Hyundai Santa Fe, both of which have lovely auto boxes, not saying you'd want to own either, but being sort of mid range between soft and hard roader might be an interesting test to see if it could be a solution.

So pleased you got out of London hell, i used to love driving there even 20 years ago, but now i really can't stand the place, nor any other big city come to that.

My ex wife many years after we'd parted had grown to hate driving, being tailgated constantly and bullied on the road was horrible for her (not saying this even bothers you but you will have had your share in that london dump), due to tragic circumstances i won't go into we had to travel long distances together, so we took my old Landcruiser on several trips.

She couldn't believe it, not only was it a much nicer vehicle to be in on the open road, she realised she couldn't even see or sense the half wit perched 6ft from the towbar, and as a bonus she wasn't bothered in the least if said twit wanted to impale his car onto it.

Within weeks she'd bought an older 4x4, gave her back some driving pleasure cos she wasn't remotely bothered what the idiots did after, and 20 years later still drives herself around in something similar.

Am I - Fed up of driving - coopshere
Get the bus pass anyway, it's free and it just may be useful one day. If you visit Bristol then it can also be used on the Park & Ride, much easier than driving in the city.

I hate large cities and if I have to go to one will either take the train, plane or use their Park & Ride systems if possible. I do still enjoy driving generally but always try to avoid peak times and never travel on Bank Holidays. The standard of driving is deteriorating and the over introduction of speed restrictions and traffic calming is becoming ridiculous.

Suggest you find a car that really interests you and you enjoy whether it be a new model or even a classic. Further driving tuition to an advanced level may give you some interest back, it does tend to focus the mind more when driving and at the same time has the potential of making you safer.

Working close to home is a boon, not only does it shorten the working day and reduces stress but saves loads of cash too.

Best of luck with your deliberations.
Am I - Fed up of driving - 72 dudes

ORB, I would highly recommend seeking out your local IAM group and having an observed drive.

If you enjoy it, you could take it further and put yourself in for the Advanced Test.

A different car may help, but a good IAM observer followed by practice should put the enjoyment back into your motoring whatever you drive.

One other thought, is your car interior a pleasant place to be, or fashionable acres of black plastic with imitation plasti aluminium or worse still pretend carbon fibre patches.

I find the interior of modern mass produced stuff dire depressing gloomy places to be, peering out of port holes windows and wedged into rock hard seats which helps enormously with the elastic band tyres and concrete spring now de rigeur.

You need a gentlemans club to drive in ORB, a Rover/MG 75 with the V8 might fit the bill.

The problem with advanced driving or even trying to drive properly yourself is that there are millions out there who just won't allow you to, no matter how slow/fast/competent/indifferent you are a sizeable minority will mess you about on the road, quite why they feel the need to i don't understand.

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/04/2014 at 19:57

Am I - Fed up of driving - jamie745

Sounds like the problem is almost entirely with the car here.

Bad roads, bad traffic, bad parking facilities, bus lanes and the zealous high visibility gestapo are all bad enough. Add that to a horrible car to sit in and operate and you're really struggling.

A nice car makes all of these things a little more bearable. It needs to be a nice place to sit, somewhere you could fall asleep and easy as pie to drive. Something which takes no effort.

You need something British with leather, walnut and a big petrol powered engine.

Fact.

Am I - Fed up of driving - Andrew-T

A nice car ... needs to be ... somewhere you could fall asleep and easy as pie to drive. Something which takes no effort.

If the car is nice enough to fall asleep in, that could just happen, especially to 'an older person', so maybe not such a good idea. Certainly a car with seats that don't give one a n*m-b*m after an hour or so driving though.

Am I - Fed up of driving - misar

Like oldroverboy I find the enjoyment of driving to be inversely proportional to age and the level of motoring oppression. Strongly recommend a combination of driving and a bus pass.

I used to use the car almost all the time but my London Freedom pass (works on bus, tube and suburban rail) tempted me on to public transport. Never mind whether its free, the bus and train have turned out to be easier and less stressful (no parking problems) much of the time.

Now I reserve the car for odd trips with much to carry, like the weekly shop, plus pleasant journies away from the traffic. My more limited driving has become enjoyable again - and I'm saving money as well! Of course, good public transport is harder to come by outside major conurbations but they also tend to be the worse places for driving.

Am I - Fed up of driving - hillman

I've got to agree, driving in any big city is no fun, and London especially so. Ride on public transport if its free. I've got to admit though, public transport where I now live is inconvenient and I very rarely use it, despite the 'bus pass'.

I got my first speeding ticket about 1958 when I had overhauled my old BSA Gold Flash, doing up the sloppy fits and properly adjusting the chain. I realised that I had become accustomed to judging my speed by the noise and vibration of the bike. I was riding between Bury and Whitefield about 11:30 pm on a beautiful night after a beautiful day, only me and a moped on the road (I passed him), when I was overtaken by a silent Humber Super Snipe police car. The driver advised me that I had been doing 48 in a 30 zone. I took the opportunity of getting him to check my speedo by driving in front at a steady 30 mph (the police were like that then), it was spot on. Three points, Drat !

I got my other speeding ticket about 1970 in a place now called Kabwe in Zimbabwe. My Vauxhall Cresta had broken down and as I stood looking under the bonnet a kind Zambian man stopped his car and pointed out that the feeble wire between the distributer and earth had parted. I fixed it in no time and as I went through Kabwe I was looking out for him so that I could give him a thank-you wave when I was stopped in one of those new fangled radar speed traps. The police officer was overjoyed to see the device work - I think I was the first victim - and gave me a ticket with a big smile. The ticket said that I was doing 50 mph, but I know I was only doing 40.

I've mainly gone for cars with a big engine and relaxed way of progressing. Presently I've got a mid-range 2.5 Subaru and that eases the burden of driving. I realise that now the 1.2 litre engines have more power than my old Wolseley 6/110, but at what cost to the nerves.

Am I - Fed up of driving - focussed

One of the intended aims by the green/ left wing/ politically correct factions in local authorities is that the continued programme of oppression of road users is designed to take any semblance of enjoyment out of driving in order to encourage people to use public transport. I first read about this on the website of a northern town, I think it was York.

It looks like it's working!

Am I - Fed up of driving - artill

Focussed, you are not wrong. When complaining about potholes and the general poor state of the raods i was told ' what are you complaining for, the pot holes work like speed bumps and slow people down'

When you are up against that sort of attiude what chance is there.

But as for ORB, i agree with the others who suggest buying a really nice car. one you can enjoy being in, as well as driving

When complaining about potholes and the general poor state of the raods i was told ' what are you complaining for, the pot holes work like speed bumps and slow people down'

Right, give me his number for whenever I have a problem, because he can pay for it. Is he aware of Jaguar's main dealer rates?

Am I - Fed up of driving - twitcherman

Three points? In 1958?

Am I - Fed up of driving - xtrailman

My last 4 cars have all been 4wd, all nice cars, but really little in the way of driving pleasure, and although i have a bus pass i've not yet used it in 3 years.

I hate busses more than driving, time was in the 70's when it was a pleasure to drive, little traffic, no speed cameras, or bus lanes that i recall or speed humps.

I also frequently have brain dead tail gaiters, as does my wife, what i don't get is why they never overtake? i rarely if ever tailgate but just floor the accelerator and pass.

The roads nowadays are deliberately designed to slow traffic down, so overtaking can often be pointless, as all you do is meet the back of another que. Or a row of traffic at the lights.

Most driving pleasure i get now is early in the morning on a weekend, or when the kids are on holiday.

If we banned women from driving as in some countries? that would be bliss, along with old men that should be using their bus pass, not driving, you spot them very quickly driving at tickover.

Edited by xtrailman on 27/04/2014 at 09:43

Am I - Fed up of driving - Andrew-T

I rarely if ever tailgate but just floor the accelerator and pass.

Then I hope your diesel vehicle is properly maintained. There are quite a few who follow this procedure and vanish into a smoke screen.

Am I - Fed up of driving - hillman

I agree with gordonbennet - you've got to have a torque converter auto box, especially if you are driving in a city. I hate having to act like the lead in 'Riverdance' in declutching every few yards.

As far as banning women is concerned - it might reduce the traffic a little, but they are not the offenders in tailgating. When tailgated I reduce speed, sometimes to a walking pace to get them to overtake or stop and wave them on. That sometimes is a bit fraught in a traffic stream as I accelerate to regain momentum, other drivers think I have stopped to park.

Am I - Fed up of driving - groaver
If we banned women from driving as in some countries? that would be bliss, along with old men that should be using their bus pass, not driving, you spot them very quickly driving at tickover.

Anyone on here you were thinking of when you wrote that? ;)

Put the car in the garage and had a week without it. BLISS!

Am I - Fed up of driving - John F

Only problem is tha SWMBO does not "do" public transport.

Is this a peculiarly British thing? Snobbery? Unwarranted fear of assault or contagious disease?

On my cycle to work I notice the roads are clogged with single women in cars, and virtually empty buses even during peak hours. Why are there hardly any school buses, or frequent well used shuttle buses/trams as there are in other European towns and cities - with easy automatic ticket machines instead of the stupid time-consuming variable pricing [English trains] we have to put up with?

Is this a peculiarly British thing? Snobbery? Unwarranted fear of assault or contagious disease?

On my cycle to work I notice the roads are clogged with single women in cars, and virtually empty buses even during peak hours. Why are there hardly any school buses, or frequent well used shuttle buses/trams as there are in other European towns and cities - with easy automatic ticket machines instead of the stupid time-consuming variable pricing [English trains] we have to put up with?

No, It is the crowds and some of the smells too! It was when we lived in London/watford/rickmansworth a few years ago the waiting and changing on buses and underground and the sheer time spent getting to work! (2 hours and then go and do a 12.5 hour shift) (with no firm idea if you can get away on time to spend another 2 hours to recross the capital) and if it out of the "rush" hours there are fewer and slower trains..

we took a decision a few years ago to live within 30 minutes walking distance of work, whic given London house prices meant leaving altogether. And have you tried the boneshaker trains we were getting from west wales to Paddington? Pardon the pun, but no padding on the paddington seats....

Am I - Fed up of driving - John F

. And have you tried the boneshaker trains we were getting from west wales to Paddington? Pardon the pun, but no padding on the paddington seats....

No, must admit I have not. And I too would hate to commute on our East Midlands line with a noisy vibrating diesel motor under every carriage with poor access to stations from only one side of the railway line [e.g. Wellingborough, Kettering] and a five minute walk at the other end just to get out of the station! [St Pancras north annex]. Stark contrast to the smooth quiet trains we've been on in France/Spain/Germany which appear to put the needs of the traveller rather than the shareholders and employees first.

Managed another week without using the car!

Am I - Fed up of driving - Bromptonaut

No, must admit I have not. And I too would hate to commute on our East Midlands line with a noisy vibrating diesel motor under every carriage with poor access to stations from only one side of the railway line [e.g. Wellingborough, Kettering] and a five minute walk at the other end just to get out of the station! [St Pancras north annex]. Stark contrast to the smooth quiet trains we've been on in France/Spain/Germany which appear to put the needs of the traveller rather than the shareholders and employees first.

The diesel engine on the Meridians (or their Virgin/Arriva Voyager cousins) lack the smooth silence of electric power but I've not found them any worse than similarly configured DMUs on SNCF. And compared to a turbo-prop plane.........

Reference to Wellingborough intersts me as I often meet my daughter there from Sheffield and it was the 'escape' route from troubles on Euston line during24yrs of commuting to MK/Northampton. It's basically off course an pld country town station that's become a commuter route since HST's were introduced from St P in eighties.

I guess I always appraoch leave via Embankment to A45 so access is easy. Is it difficult to cross the line etc if approaching from east?

Northampton, which previously had acess form both sides is being rebuilt and access from Black Lion Hill has been closed. Congestion leaving at 18:00 is unbelievable.

Agree about St P though. Even if you ride a bike to the Midland Road entrance it's still a route march to the platforms!!

I guess I always appraoch leave via Embankment to A45 so access is easy. Is it difficult to cross the line etc if approaching from east?

Northampton, which previously had acess form both sides is being rebuilt and access from Black Lion Hill has been closed. Congestion leaving at 18:00 is unbelievable.

I'll try again, anorther typed post vanished before i could send, grr.

Welly station, from the East its Finedon Rd then down Eastfield Rd to station, or from Irthlingborough Rd down past the Leyland Complex (old Morris Motors site) to Senwick Rd then up to station.

No pedestrian access East either, both those roads are the nearest by any means apart from helicopter.

If you lived at Rushden/Irchester you could walk down the Embankment and turn left at the river, then over the new pedestrian/cyclist bridge whcih brings you out the other side of Whitworths then walk up the industrial access road for the new Prolgic warehouse units and out the A45 at a mid point between Welly and Sanders Lodge just opposite the layby outside Irchester Country Park...see you there at the next dogging session..;)

We went to N'pton last week Bromp, couldn't believe they've completely shut the main station access...nutters running the asylum again by the looks of it.

By the way, the Northampton Diesels site on St James Mill Rd estate appeared to be closed and deserted, have they moved again or shut up shop?

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/05/2014 at 15:12

Am I - Fed up of driving - Oli rag

Went to Irchester park last sunday with the mrs for a walk, haven't been for years. Is it always that busy now? We had just got in ( and struggled to park) when they put out the car parks full signs. Used to go there years ago and it was never that busy.Didn't even get to around the loco shed.

Olirag, it used to be lovely there about 30 odd years ago, really quiet, like you i haven't been for donkeys years even though i used to live not 2 miles away.

Apparently its gets quite busy after dark again, not as i've been.

Welly was a lovely little market town at one time, you'd never know it now mind.

Thing is, Welly Rushden Higham and surrounds haven't got much in the way of nice parks or open public spaces thats isn't fenced off private or brown field building, indeed unless you want to sluice about around flooded ex gravel pits up to your back side in mud there isn't much else about, Welly has Bassetts Park i suppose buit the lovelty allotments behind where i used to live have succumed to greed like nearly all the other, sold and now sport housing sprawl**

Go west a bit and you find some nicer areas for walking, Castle Ashby, Sywell Reservoir come Country Park, and then onto Northampton which does have decent parks, and its fair share of tragic crimes have been committed on one or two over the years, not safe after dark, fairly safe for violent criminals though unless they happen to be speeding.

Things is East Northants has seen massive housing and population growth over the years as its become one of the main storage and distribution centres for Chinese tat, and far to more to come of all, but not a problem really, most of the inhabitants of these fair Midlands towns are the type of people who work for a living, they haven't got time to enjoy pleasant parklands, maybe we're too working class to appreciate the beauty and tranquility of such niceties too.

I note yet more warehousing for foreign made tat is being built alongside the A45 at Stanwick/Raunds...there will be nowhere East of Earls Barton that won't be concreted over or flooded ex gravel pits soon.

***one light note, my old mate had a large allotment site, mr big shot developer arranged to buy all the allotments...except my old mate wouldn't sell...name your price...you aint got enough money son cheerio...hear mr big shot's chin rebound off the pavenment..)

Am I - Fed up of driving - Bromptonaut

We went to N'pton last week Bromp, couldn't believe they've completely shut the main station access...nutters running the asylum again by the looks of it.

It would be alright if they hadn't, as part of a seperate project, removed the right turn from St Andrew's Road into Black Lion Hill. From there westbound traffic could avoid congestion at either gasworks or Jimmy's End by following the new relief road round the back of Franklin's Gardens to the ring road at Sixfields.

By the way, the Northampton Diesels site on St James Mill Rd estate appeared to be closed and deserted, have they moved again or shut up shop?

Closed the Northampton operation and now only in Kettering so NBG for me. Their premises were originally Moto Baldet's workshop and commercials showroom. Used to drop the car there at sparrow fa*t and walk to station returning just before they closed. Lovely girl worked there on reception, I think she was called Paula, always had her ample cleavage on show.

On my cycle to work I notice the roads are clogged with single women in cars, and virtually empty buses even during peak hours

I think snobbery is over reaching, although outside the metropolitan areas most people still view the bus as being for poor people. There's probably some merit in that, I've never met anybody who took public transport for any reason other than having no choice, but I don't go to London where it seems more common - and too expensive for the impoverished.

I wouldn't bother with public transport because it doesn't go where I want it to, when I want it to. There's not a single journey I make regularly that would be faster by bus or train, because us shire counties don't have the 4 buses every 15 seconds London has and the councils haven't gone to the drastic extremes of London in purposely slowing the car down either. Though they're not far off. I'm amazed by how often I see a bus in a bus lane. Never.

I just can't be doing with somebody else deciding when I can go somewhere and after I've been at work all day I want to sit amongst air conditioned leather and not have to listen to or interact with any other human being. That's my time where the general public can sod off.

Am I - Fed up of driving - RickyBoy

Agree to some degree...

MK to (central) Laaarnden on the train is (surely) a no-brainer. Many regular Virgin/LM services thoughout the hour so why would you ever consider driving down – cost?

There was a time we used to be offered 'cheap' day-trip deals to the capital from here for under a fiver. Not any more. Must be touching/over £20 now? Understand it also costs £8+ to park your motor at MKC for the day! Should I ever have to do that journey I would drive (5-mins) to J14 Coachway, leave the car there all day for FREE and wait for a FREE (after 09:30) X5 from Cambridge to drop me outside the door, then board a train...

...talking of the X5, when I first obtained my bus-pass I used it 2/3 times to have a day-out in Oxford. Heading that way is not too torturous, although the three stops in MK itself take a good 20/25-mins to complete, but once you're on the road to Buckingham & Bicester it's reasonably speedy.

However, going the other way to Cambs – forget it. Coach gets to the scabby/timewarp bus-station in Bedford and sits there for 20-mins awaiting driver change. Then it has to call at several parochial pick-up points in Beds/Cambs en-route to St. Neots. You REALLY DON'T want to be in and around St. Neots on market-day I can tell you! One High St, 15 (feels like) sets of traffic-lights, 50 web-fingered locals all fighting for a seat. Did it once, never again. Took at least 1h45m (and counting), whereas by car I can walk out of the door, join the Southern Bedford by-pass @J13 and be parked-up/drinking a fancy-dan cappucino in Green St. an hour later. And the X5 terminus is now even further out of the city, the other side of Parker's Piece, not a pleasant walk in the rain, then again, I wouldn't go for a day in Cambs if the forecast...

What's my point – I dunno? You're obviously in complete control over so many aspects of your journey in your own motor, etc., etc. and they don't play Megadeth @Vol.11 on the X5!

Off to paint something...

What's my point – I dunno? You're obviously in complete control over so many aspects of your journey in your own motor.

Which, previously being in west wales was the main reason for driving anywhere east..

Uncomfortable expensive trains and buses (free but still uncomfortable) but 2 in the car trumps all other possibilities.

Am I - Fed up of driving - RickyBoy

'Which, previously being in west wales was the main reason for driving anywhere east'.

Aye – have a mate who moved to Anglesey a couple of years ago. Keeps inviting us up there for a few days but I utterly refuse :–). The land that time forgot (aside from the undoubtedly stunning scenery)? The thought of driving in/out on the same piece of road for the rest of your life (his) really doesn't appeal! I like choices (N, S, W, E approches/exits) me! The X5 offers (pseudo) leather upholstery, adjustable seating, free wi-fi et al., but it's still not enough of a temptation...

Am I - Fed up of driving - Ed V

Just imagine if there were the routine delays on trains that there are on our roads! All hell would break lose with "something must be done-ites".