Ford Mondeo 3 (04) 2 litre petrol - Recommended OBD code reader - bathtub tom

Daughter's rang me to say her light's just come on. Had the car for years with no previous problems and no work's been done recently.

I suppose it's about time I got a code reader.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

Should I go for a cheap reader, or something that can read live data?

I'm open to all advice.

Edited by bathtub tom on 25/04/2014 at 13:33

Ford Mondeo 3 (04) 2 litre petrol - Recommended OBD code reader - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

I sometimes get the engine management light (MIL) coming in, especially on a hot day, and it's always been P0404 'EGR Performance' and it always goes out again a few days later, but just in case the light is for something else, I bought a Sealey VS8700 for about forty quid from a local car-parts shop, and it does an awful lot more than I actually understand, so I've never used it to its full potential. It doesn't just give the fault code - it tells you what the code means as well. It'll read and delete codes, which is all I've used it for. It'll 'View Freeze-Frame Data' and it'll 'Retrieve I/M Readiness Data' which I read is something about emission systems.

I think that the police should carry one of these, because it'll read the VIN code number. You see those 'reality' police programmes on the telly, where they find a stolen car with false number plates and possibly false VIN codes - they only need to plug one of these in and they could read the VIN off the engine computer and compare it to whats showing on the car.

Ford Mondeo 3 (04) 2 litre petrol - Recommended OBD code reader - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

PS - looks like I was lucky to get it at that price.. I've just checked prices on line!

Ford Mondeo 3 (04) 2 litre petrol - Recommended OBD code reader - Railroad.
I have an Autel MS509 Maxiscan which Amazon are now doing for less than £33. It's an EOBD scanner only, so don't expect to read ABS or airbag codes or data because it won't. It does however allow you to read and erase fault codes, read live data and view freeze frame data. It also allows you to read data in graph form. It's quick and very easy to use, and easily worth that money.
Also, the garage I worked in up until a year ago charge £70 for a scan test, and that's before they've even done anything to try and cure the fault. Most garages if truth be known aren't as knowledgable as they'd like you to think either, so it's definitely worth investing in your own scantool.
Ford Mondeo 3 (04) 2 litre petrol - Recommended OBD code reader - Cyd

I have Torque Pro app on my phone. Coupled up to a 20 quid OBDII bluetooth adaptor I'm well chuffed with it. The Pro is about 3 quid, but I think even the free version does code reading.

I have Torque Pro app on my phone. Coupled up to a 20 quid OBDII bluetooth adaptor I'm well chuffed with it. The Pro is about 3 quid, but I think even the free version does code reading.

Apparently they don't work with the iPhone though, so I'm led to believe.

Sorry, I'm barely into the 20th century and all this smart 'phone/apps stuff leaves me cold.

I'll forward this info to son-in-law and let him sort the techie stuff, I'll get my hands dirty.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by bathtub tom on 26/04/2014 at 00:37

Ford Mondeo 3 (04) 2 litre petrol - Recommended OBD code reader - Chris M

I bought a Autel MS300 MaxiScan from Amazon. Currently £13.25 with free delivery, so cheap and cheerful. Anything more complicated would be a waste of time for me.

Only used once when my son's Punto had a misfire. It identified the affected cylinder so eliminated a bit of faffing.

Son-in-law decided to get this one: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0098T6FZ8/ref=oh_deta...1

Wouldn't work on the Mondeo, but did on my Nissan.