Toyota Avensis - 1.8 V-Matic thoughts/opinions - jonny123456

I asked Honest John the following, and and advisor recommended the Avensis 1.8 pretrol V-Matic. Doing some reading I quite like the look of it. :)

I quite fancy an automatic one (and/or possibly the estate version).

Any opinions on these Avensis 1.8 V-Matic's for my requirements below (Reliable, Economical, Comfortable Family motorway cruiser)?

Anything to look out for when viewing/test driving them?

Any owners car to comment?

Also, does adding an auto box increase maintenance/possible problems. I'm hoping to get this next car to maybe 150K miles (over 9 years) - and run it 'till it won't run no more! Is this a realistic expectation (especially with an auto)?

Budget of £8K (hoping for maybe 2009-2010 with 30K or so miles) - Toyota Approved if possible.

My requirements:

I need a replacement car, and the main thing for me is cost (fuel/running) and reliability. I want something economical to run, extremely reliable, without the worry of anything (especially expensive things) going wrong.

I cover approx 15,000 miles a year, mainly motorway commute (which could raise to 20,000). The commute is approx an hour each way, so a comfortable ride would be nice (with toys/gadgets being a bonus - but not essential).

The car also used for family holidays etc. Speed and handling not so much of an issue these days.

My budget - £8,000 (key factors: cost of ownership, reliability and comfort)

My previous car (Nissan Primera Sport only cost me £4000 and lasted 9 trouble free years doing 115K miles under my ownership). I hope to get another 9 years out of whatever I buy next.

Edited by jonny123456 on 17/04/2014 at 19:15

Toyota Avensis - 1.8 V-Matic thoughts/opinions - Phil F.
Hi,
If they are anything like the previous model,I have a 1.8 auto,absolutely bullet proof!
Have a look at the Toyota Owners club,all the info there.I have perhaps noted some niggles about build quality.
The auto box is a CVT in the new model which I would be happy with and the tourer version,I think,is much better looking.Some owners seem not to like the electronic handbrake though!

Good luck,
Phil
Toyota Avensis - 1.8 V-Matic thoughts/opinions - gordonbennet

I'd agree with PhilF, as good a bet as any modern car, i would make sure the gearbox oil gets changed when required but i can guarantee without looking that there is a proper service regime for the gearbox.

Toyota have never been so blase with their customers purchases as some prominent German and British makers, who fashionably at the time, suggested their auto boxes never needed (they did) oil changes and were (they weren't) sealed for life, they quietly dropped that idiotic idea later.

The only reason we don't have an Avensis tourer on the drive is the electric parking brake, i'm simply not having one in any car i own, ever, but thats me, however if anythings going to give you an expensive bill during the life of the vehicle then the EPB is going to be it...i don't have clue why but Avensis parking brake if used manually works opposite to every parking i have ever used all my life, stupid idea and incredible Toyota should have approved it, its a silly little push/pull button hidden in the dash, push ON and pull OFF, if ever there was a recipe for disaster then this is it.

The mileage you are expecting is nothing, its the long life that you can help, IMO by doing your part to keep the underside cleaned and lubed as much as possible, again with the EPB i don't know how the calipers will fare after 10 salty winters, VW Passat EPB caliper rear covers seem to start cracking up long before 10 years leading to salt water ingress and rapid failure, i don't suppose Mr T's effort will be much better.

I'm watching with interest to see if Toyota extend warranty/goodwill on EPB issue as they do for other recurring problems that should not have got past the designers waste bin.

Toyota Avensis - 1.8 V-Matic thoughts/opinions - catsdad
I suggest a good long test drive before you commit. I had an Avensis estate for 6 months (2011) model and I disliked it. The manual for the car and the audio system was over 1000 pages long and that says a lot about the unnecessary complexities. One example was that self locking locks the back doors so you can't open them from inside and reversing this requires a trawl through the manual or even online as it's so quirky. The sat nav is not intuitive compared to a Tomtom or Garmin. Also the sat display stays on even if not in use which gets irritating. The infamous handbrake was OK in use but future repair cost would be a concern. There is another thread currently on "foibles" and the Avensis was full of them for me. Trivial in themselves but irritating on a daily basis. However others will disagree and you might find it an intuitive car to use. We didn't I am afraid.
Toyota Avensis - 1.8 V-Matic thoughts/opinions - Avant

As long as you avoid the diesel, the Mazda 6 is a good alternative to the Avensis. So is the Honda Accord, although the estate may be bigger than you need.

Toyota Avensis - 1.8 V-Matic thoughts/opinions - Sprice

The electronic parking brake is easy enough I thought, maybe because it's the first car (13 plate D-4D hire car) I'd driven with one. It's position could be better (to the left of the steering cowling) but it does disengage automatically and applies automatically when you switch the ignition off. I've used them on several cars since but would prefer a proper handle like my 63 plate Civic has.

Edited by Sprice on 18/04/2014 at 12:03

Toyota Avensis - 1.8 V-Matic thoughts/opinions - 72 dudes

Don't know where in the county you are jonny123456, but there's a particularly nice new shape 09 model at Lancaster Toyota in Ipswich, 34k (not 28k it says in Ad) for just under £8k.

Didn't test drive or buy it as it's too big for Mrs 72 dudes, but was very tempted.

Toyota Avensis - 1.8 V-Matic thoughts/opinions - coopshere
On the 2010 model the Satnav screen and/or voice guidance can be turned off easily on the unit. The rear doors lock automatically at 15 mph, as they do on a lot of modern cars, there is a switch on the drivers door to open them without turning the ignition off if required. Note that the EPB does not auto release on the CVT model. Excellent engine and CVT transmission. Very comfortable quiet ride. Best "sensible" car I have driven for some time. From June 2010 Toyota give a 7 year warranty which can be extended if it has been maintained by dealer.
Toyota Avensis - 1.8 V-Matic thoughts/opinions - Auristocrat

"From June 2010 Toyota give a 7 year warranty which can be extended if it has been maintained by dealer."

Not correct.

Think you're getting confused with Kia.

In June 2010, Toyota GB introduced a five year/100,000 mile new car warranty. The rest of Europe retained the 3 year/100,000 kilometre new car warranty.

Once the new car warranty has expired, you can buy a Toyota extended warranty up to the time the car reaches 10 years of age - but as block exemption only applies to new car warranties, with a Toyota extended warranty, servicing has to be done via theToyota dealer network.

Absolutely correct on the 7 years Auristocrat that was a typo by me.

However I bought an 18 month old Toyota Approved Avensis and was able to purchase a 1 year extension at that time. I did try to buy a 2 year one but that wasn't allowed, according to the dealer, so I did get a 4.5 year one.
Toyota Avensis - 1.8 V-Matic thoughts/opinions - Auristocrat

The extended warranties are renewable for either one or two years up to when the car reaches 10 years of age. It used to be 8 years up until, I think, December 2013.

Funnily enough, if the warranty management company approached you directly re renewal, you could renew the extended warranty up to 10 years of age before December.

If you renewed via a Toyota dealer or if you approached the warranty management company, the extensions could only go up to when the car was 8 years of age.

Toyota Avensis - 1.8 V-Matic thoughts/opinions - Snakey

Having had an extended warranty from toyota I wouldn't pay for one, as they didn't cover a non wear and tear failure and toyota customer service couldn't give a toss.

I know theres a toyota love-in sometimes on here but I've found them as good/bad as every other manufacturer when it comes to honouring their warranty.

Toyota Avensis - 1.8 V-Matic thoughts/opinions - madf

I have never had to use a Toyota or Honda warranty..

I bought an Audi A4 : Audi honoured their warranty - which is as well as the list of repairs came to wellover £2000 -15 years ago..

I've had Ford, Vauxhall,Jaguar (after some threats!), Renault and VW honour their warranty, toyota ironically being the only ones who didn't want to help. I'm possibly buying a second hand Honda, but they won't discount the car and take off the warranty because TBH I'm sick of persuing warranty claims!

You are clearly very unlucky having had to make a warranty claim on at least 6 vehicles.
Toyota Avensis - 1.8 V-Matic thoughts/opinions - jonny123456

Thanks for the responses everyone.

It looks like I'll need to test drive one anyway before making my mind up. The EPB issue does really concern me, though every car I'm looking at seem to have some sort of expensive (common?) issue, such as EPB failure, DPF issues, injectors needing replacing etc.

Having not had to do this for 9 years (and with double the budget of my previous car) I'd hoped this time round it would be easier!!!

You are clearly very unlucky having had to make a warranty claim on at least 6 vehicles.

Not really, this is spanned on over 40 cars!