Alloy wheel refurb costs - EDW2000

What's the going rate to repair a 'kerbed' alloy wheel?

Interent prices seem to vary between £25 -100, what is diamond polishing? I just want th gouges taken care of.

Cheers.

Alloy wheel refurb costs - gordonbennet

Professional full refurb (strip, shot blast, clean up and powder coat of entire wheel) around £55 to £80 plus £15ish tyre removal and fitting charges.

Touch up of scratches and light kerbing including painting the face of the wheel only by mobile dent type operation around £30 to 40, this is not a tougher than original finish which pro refurbs are, its mainly aimed at those incl dealers tarting cars up to sell them and it won't last like powder coating.

Diamond polishing is whats done to keep the original finish of the current trend in wheels (MB/Mondeo to mention two) that have laquer over machine cut faces, the face is machine 'recut', assuming the spiders webs haven't gone too deep, and the now nice again finish relaquered, this new finsish will last about 12 months at best before it too starts to fail just like the original, cost £80 upwards.

Best defence against damage is to buy cars fitted with tyres of at least 55 aspect ratio and preferably 60 or 65, its frankly little short of ludicrous that Diesel repmobiles are shod with 30 and 35 aspect tyres sitting on 19 and 20" wheels, with tyres made anywhere but China @ £200+, apart from the abysmal ride on these elastic bands the tyres offer no protection at all to the wheel.

Its a British disease this weird fashion for elastic band tyres and the resulting teeth shattering ride quality, check out MB's with foreign plates, often sitting on 16 not 18" wheels, same with export versions of cars made here, V8 Disco's, not available here, to China notably sat on on sensible rims and as a result sitting on steel springs instead of unreliable air.

Alloy wheel refurb costs - Snakey

I was getting quotes of £55 to refurb the wheels on my wifes mini - I didn't bother in the end as I could get good quality wheels with brand new tyres on for around £105 each so I'm just going to wait until the tyres need replacing and do the lot!