Car buying advice - AKayaker

Hi, I'm buying my first car of my own (been driving for about 2 years) and hoping for some advice

I have a budget of £4000.

The car will be used this summer for commuting 30 miles each way over every road type (literally, country lanes to A-road to motorway to b-road)every day for 10 weeks this summer.

After this it will be taken to my uni and not used during the week.

During the summer and from then onwards it will be used for trips away. This will probably consist of 600ish mile round trips 3/4 weekends out of two months, 200ish mile round trips 3/4 weekends out of two months, and then only short journeys on the remaining weekends. It will also be used for driving down to the alps once (possibly twice a year). The trips away will be mostly group mountineering or kayaking trips, so will be 4/5 people, full kit (lightweight weekend bag - plus possibly tents, extra kit etc), and would quite often have 4 kayaks on the roof. It may also occasionally have to pull a trailer - although if this isn't possible it wouldn't be the end of the world

I'm looking for something reliable, reasonably cheap to run, and I think to meet size requirements would probably be an estate, but would consider large hatchbacks.

With this in mind I've been looking at cars, and am thinking along the lines of

1.7 CDTi Diesel Astra Estate (like this goo.gl/GUfpxj)

1.6 or 1.8 CDTi Diesel Focus Estate

Both of these cars with my budget are available from approximatly 2009 with 100,000 to 120,000 miles.

Is this a good idea, particulary as the mileage seems high - or does anyone have any better suggestions

Car buying advice - Happy Blue!

Think condition and service history rather than model. Any car which has got to 100,000+ miles in 3 or 4 years should have been properly serviced with a full history. Any decent make/model of appropriate size should suit you. Skoda Octavia? Kia Ceed estate? Ford C-Max?

Car buying advice - Avant

These diesels might seem cheaper to run, but there is a greater risk of a very expensive failure with high-mileage diesels. Go for something Japanese and petrol-powered.

The old-shape Honda Civic has lots of room in the back if you need to carry 4 or 5 people often.

Car buying advice - daveyK_UK

Why a diesel?

Get a petrol zafira

Or if you want cheap insurance a fiat Doblo/Citroen Berlingo multi space/ Peugeot partner mpv

Edited by daveyK_UK on 12/04/2014 at 23:41

Car buying advice - corax

Honda Accord estate 2.0 petrol. 35-40 mpg, big flat load area, very reliable and comfortable on long distances.

You could get a good one for that budget.

Car buying advice - catsdad

I think the need to go to the Alps with five up means that the medium sized Focus, Astra etc will prove tight on space. On the other hand the day to day requirements of (I assume) solo use mean a larger car is going to be underused. If space for 5 is essential then I'd second Accord and Zafira suggestions or how about an Avensis or Mondeo? If it were me I might go for a medium car (C-Max is good on space in a medium footprint) and see if my proposed travelling companions can be limited to 3................or buy an MX5 and get someone else in the party to buy the big car ;-)