2014 facelift - Polo chain cam - oapman
Does anyone know if the 1.2TSI in the face lifted SE model available later this year is a 3 cylinder chain cam and/or a 4cylinder chain cam &/or both being 105 bhp.
2014 facelift - Polo chain cam - skidpan

The 105 PS 1.2 TSI in the Golf, Seat Leon, Skoda Octavia etc is a belt driven 4 cylinder engine. Looking in the brochure only the 60 PS and 70 PS models are 3 cylinder cars.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/polo-v/which-model/brochures

Thanks skidpan. I was thinking of buying the facelift polo with a chain cam-we only do 8k miles a year and as I feared the only engine with a bit of power would be the 1.4TSI 105PS with a belt. I was told that VW are now increasing the belt change time to 5yrs but is that right
I was told that VW are now increasing the belt change time to 5yrs but is that right

On the new belt drive engines VW are specifying the belt as a fitted for vehicle life component. But there is confusion since Skoda and Seat atke a different view with the same engine. When I bought mine last year I budgeted a new belt at 4 years so I had no surprises but hopefully by then there will be some sensible and consistent advice. At the end of the day the belt is £280 fitted on Seats pricing schedule which is a lot less than a new engine.

Don't forget that VW chain cam engines still require replacements at similar intervals and the chains are more expensive than belts.

Edited by skidpan on 09/04/2014 at 17:17

We'll the chain cam needing changing has caught me out but that's progress I suppose.
What do you think of the 2014facelift 1.2 TSI 90PS which I think will be available in the SE model as I would like to run it for the long term say 7/10years. I don't know if it will be a 3 or 4 cylinder but suppose its belt cam if I have no choice
What do you think of the 2014facelift 1.2 TSI 90PS

No idea, not my kind of car. Have a drive and decide if it suits your needs.

2014 facelift - Polo chain cam - Avant

Are you sure you want a Polo when you can have the TSI engine in the larger SEAT Leon for much the same price?

The smallest-engined Polos are cheaper but they are underpowered and you'd be better off with an Up or its SEAT or Skoda sibling.