2004 Ford Focus 1.8 tdci - Loss of power - riaanvs

Good day.

I am an South African member. I own a Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi, 2004 model. The last couple of weeks the car started giving me trouble.

After I have driven a couple of km's, as soon as the engine is quite hot (not over heated, though), it would suddenly loose all power. The glow plug light would start to flicker, and if I try and drive it further, thick black smoke would bellow from the exhaust. After the engine died, I usually switch it off, and on again and it would do the same after a while.

The problem only occurs after I have driven for a couple of km's, as much as 50 or more. Another indictor would be that it always happens when I slacked down for a traffic light or stop sign, or turned into another street, or on the open road, when I slacked off for a slower car and need to accelerate again, I loose all power and the light starts flickering. Even at high speed, I can press the clutch, swith off the engine, let it run dead for a couple of seconds, and start it again, and it would be fine. For a while, anyway.

I had it on computers for diagnostics, but could never pick up anything. Can anyone here give me any suggestions on what it could be? It is really frustrating never knowing when your car is going to die on you.

Thanks!

2004 Ford Focus 1.8 tdci - Loss of power - riaanvs

I would just like to add: I had all the injectors overhauled about 10 000 km ago. The problem then was that it would not start at all. That is now fixed.

2004 Ford Focus 1.8 tdci - Loss of power - FocusItaly

I have the same car and similar problem with the flashing glow plug light and loss of power -- the engine killed! After a pause it started up again, but I had called the tow truck and decided to wait and get it checked.

It turns out the the flashing glow plug light is just a not too clear design for a wide range of problems instead of any one in particular. Too bad owners manuals don't seem to list this information very well. So, my problems were two, and you can take your pick which you think was the catalyst or the chicken and egg and whatever:

1) the brake line needed replacing. Now this problem is something I have had experience with in another older car. It seems that when brake lines fail, they tend to get spongy, weak and callapse on themselves when they heat up, especially in stop and go traffic. So, at times the brake lines may appear and test fine but then other times, simpluy flatten.

2) the fuel filter was clogged and the mechanic replaced it. He said I must have filled up on a tank full of dirty deisel.

Replaced filter and brake line: €165; missed one day of work.

So there you have it...maybe. Good luck!

2004 Ford Focus 1.8 tdci - Loss of power - GazNicki
Glow plug light covers everything fuelling and turbo related. Only true way to is a problem is with a code read.

I would suggest you start with the fuel filter though. Easy and cheap to do. Bear in mind, this could be all manner of problems from a dodgy turbo to a split boost pipe back to clogged injectors.

Get a code read to be sure.