Fiat Ducato - Clunk - Milpol1

I have a Autotrail Cheyenne 2007 840s with a ducato 3ltr diesel engine, with 21k miles, only had it since last week. The problem I have is when I start the vehicle as soon as I let go of the key there is a clunking sound from the engine, it stops as soon as engine starts running....The engine runs fine. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Could it be the engine mounts, there is only 20k miles on the clock

Fiat Ducato - Clunk - Milpol1

OK took the MH down to reputable garage and they had a mechanic who had just left a Fiat main dealer and he had a look and said that the mounts look ok and mentioned the fact that the clunk is/was a n inherent problem with a 3 Ltr engine, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whom am I to argue, he did seem genuine, also stated that it all depends where the engine stops ie on what stroke depends how loud the clunk is!!!!!!!!!!!! __________________

Fiat Ducato - Clunk - gordonbennet

Starter solenoid releasing the teeth from the flywheel? or rather the flywheel throwing the starter gear off when the engine overtakes the starter motor?

Same sound if you start with clutch depressed, or does this vehicle need the clutch depressed to start anyway?

I'd be inclined to put a spanner on the starter bolts and check they're tight though, no harm in having a general check round various bolts, bell housing, mounts, exhaust etc whilst you're down there, maybe get a (reliable) assistant to start the engine whilst you are safely close enough to the sound to pin point it.